PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes

Papa Beach
06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Does anyone use oil extractors (e.g. Pela 6000) for their oil changes or is there any particular reason not to? Seems to simplify the process...

Av8r3400
06-30-2010, 06:25 AM
That's a pretty fancy unit...

I use a cheap ($5-10 at Harbor Freight, I think) air/oil hand pump to "suck" most of the oil out of the tank. Then I take apart the tank to use paper shop towels to wipe out the remaining oil from the tank and clean the screen and baffle in the bottom.

Every other change I inspect and clean the magnetic plug on the gearbox.

Then, change the filter with a Rotax filter, fill the tank with Mobile 4T and go flying...

Papa Beach
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks. Champagne tastes on a beer budget! :D I only wish I could find something that cheap around here. Nice to know someone else is using that system though.

On the tank removal part, I may be misunderstanding but I got the impression that wasn't such a good idea. I am probably just misunderstanding though. http://www.xairireland.com/912%20oil%20change.pdf

Av8r3400
07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
In a Kitfox (my model IV's at least) the oil tank is higher than the motor, meaning if you completely drain the tank, there is still oil in the motor. This means that air-locking is not really possible, unless you purge all the oil from the motor...