PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Area

Danny
10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Anyone have some decent photos of a completed baggage area before the fuselage is covered, in your Series 7/SuperSport. Have yet to see any close up photos to see how others have completed this area.

Thanks
Danny
SuperSport in Progress

RandyL
10-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Danny, here's some that were passed along to me, this is not my project...

RandyL
10-05-2008, 01:03 PM
I didn't receive any instructions with my Cargo Bay Kit, not sure if there are any. Question: is everyone putting their balsa/glass floors inside the bag and then putting floor rentention screws through? Is anyone screwing the board down first and letting the bag sit on top of it?

Seems like it might be a bit of trouble to get everything in & out first unless you could screw the floor down first. I'm assuming this whole thing comes out every year for the Condition Inspection.

Danny
10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Randy,
Thanks for the photos...is this the cloth compartment that Kitfox sells? I didn't purchase a cargo bay kit with my kit.

Not sure how I will proceed with mine. Would like something a little more solid, but don't want to add a lot of weight. I think this is an area left to our imagination. I also want the rear fuselage to be easliy accessible so however I proceed, I don't want to block off that area with something that I can't open up easily.

If you come up with any ideas, I sure would like to hear them.
Thanks
Danny Powell
Super Sport

RandyL
10-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, this is the 'Cargo Bay Kit' that they get $495 for. It's pretty light, I have no problem with that, and it looks like it would come out fairly easily, just lots of velcro to deal with.

RandyL
10-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh, forgot to ask: anyone had a problem with the edges of the balsa/glass board delaminating? They look like they need to be sealed somehow. If I end up putting the board inside the bag I'll probably glue some Cordura to it and wrap it around the edges. Anyone done this?

DanB
10-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Not sure how I will proceed with mine. Would like something a little more solid, but don't want to add a lot of weight. I think this is an area left to our imagination. I also want the rear fuselage to be easliy accessible so however I proceed, I don't want to block off that area with something that I can't open up easily.

Danny,
As I am working on a model IV I know our planes have a lot of differences, however, if you are looking for alternatives to buying the baggage kit...this might give you some ideas. www.azshowersolutions.com/Baggage1.html
Many of us in the Phoenix area have built the sides of the baggage area with Poly Fiber material and then covered it with a presentable material. FWIW

RandyL
10-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Dan, that mod looks great, very creative, but aren't you worried about getting access to the aft fuselage area?

DanB
10-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Randy,
Prior to building it I asked the same question of Steve Kellander (as my plane will be almost a carbon copy of his). He can chime in here, but I believe there really hasn't been any need to get back there to do anything. If someone would really want access to the back, I think the velcro straps on material would work fine as well.

airlina
10-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Randy, as we speak I am in the process of doing my condition inspection on my Series 5 for the 5th year. I put the floor over the baggage bag then added a piece of thin carpet over the balsa floor. I find that removing the baggage compartment is not neccessary to get to all the stuff I need to see. Once the seat pan is removed I can get to all the torque tube controls and mixer assembly for inspection and lubrication. Make sure you put several inspection ports on the bottom of the fuse to get to things like the elevator tube bushing and static port if need be and removal of the bag is something that will not have to be done to frequently. Bruce Lina

RandyL
10-05-2008, 07:02 PM
The SS, and maybe the Series 7?, have the bellcrank/joint in the elevator rod about half way back the fuselage. Of course a belly inspection port could provide access to that.

Where is everyone putting their ELTs if not behind the baggage compartment?

DanB
10-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I placed mine behind the left seat under the corner of the baggage floor.

jdmcbean
10-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Keep in mind the Super Sport is very different then the erlier models. The elevator push-pull tubes have another idler bellcrank about mid ship... It is a good idea to put an inspection ring under that bellcrank (belly) for access...both for maintenance and adjustment. Although it can be accessed through the baggage area but it is difficult at best.

Regarding the baggage sack itself.. I like to put the board inside the sack.. I also like to cover it with a material for appearance more then anything. Have not had any de-lamb issues with the board. Also, the board does not need to be removed for inspections...

Danny
10-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the good info.

Dan, I like your idea of Poly Fiber...looks good, probably doesn't weight much. The Kitfox sack looks good also. Will have to give it more thought.

Still want to have some type of access to the rear thru the turtledeck and cargo area. I'm considering an 0-200 for a powerplant & will probably need to locate the battery and other items like an elt, in the aft section for w/b issues.
Thanks again.
Danny Powell
Super Sport

Mark
10-06-2008, 07:22 AM
By placing the floorboard over (into) the bag material, the cargo area is stretched tight. If you put the floor below the bag, nothing holds the shape of the fabric on the bottom except the 4-5 screws holding the floor down. You could place some clear tape over the fiberglassed edges of the floorboard, but once installed, those edges are sealed by the fabric.

Since the bag is velcroed to the fuselage, it is easily folded down to the floorboard if accessibility is required. But as noted, an inspection plate under the center idler bellcrank is really all that is needed. All other inspection items can be reached from behind the seat pan or tail access cover.

I've built aircraft using Polyfiber for cargo areas. It's a lot more work in the beginning and harder to finish off, but creates a nice, tight baggage area. It is permanent, though, and has more rigidity the the material bag.

Agfoxflyer
10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Attached is a picture of how I installed the baggage floor. I used a longer bolt from beneath, with a bolt on top of the fuse tab. Then a washer, the floor board, then washer and nut. That way I can remove board from above and leave the bolt in place. Also attached s a picture of drawer pulls that serve as a tie down for cargo.

RandyL
10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
David, nicely done! This is what I just love about experimentals... there's no end to the creative ways to handle a given situation.

After all the good info posted here I think I'll buy some black cordura and glue it to the floor board. Wrapping it around the edges will prevent the delamination I'm worried about too.

Guys, thanks for all the info!

wadeg
10-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Randy,
In my mind, putting the wood down on the inside of the bag is MANDATORY. The reason being that if you have a load of stuff in the sac and it shifts without the floorboards there to draw the side of the sac down taunt, the stuff could push the side of the bag out to the side right into one of your flaperon control rods. I don't see any problem with simply un-velcroing the sac from the frame and folding it onto itself when inspection time comes.
Also, I got a little tougher ply and put a layer of glass on it. The sprayed some epoxy varnish on it. Should hold up to exploding cola cans in flight....that tale actually comes from an episode my dad had in his Varieze. Inside of canopy coated with sticky cola led to us opting to take non-carbonated drinks from then on....
Wade