PDA

View Full Version : LED Landing Light Video

Dean_aeroleds
05-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I made a video to demonstrate the difference between a 100 Watt GE4509 with a 120,000 candela beam center intensity vs. a 30 Watt Sunspot 36 (narrow lens) with a 30,000 candela beam center intensity to show the difference between a very narrow beam incandescent landing light, and a slightly wider beam LED landing light. This demonstrates that a very narrow beam is not necessarily better when two lights produce roughly the same total lumens of light. The Sunspot 36 is more like a GE4594 in terms of its beam angle and intensity.

The perspective shown in this video is meant to represent the sight picture seen by a pilot on final just before touchdown (6 to 10 feet above the runway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE9qURJJrE4

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

Dorsal
05-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Speaking of Landing lights, what is a good angle for a landing light mounted just below the prop. I am putting a micro sun unit there, made the brackets now just need to pick the angle.

SkyPirate
05-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Dorsal ..what I have done for aiming the landig light if it's below the wing,. I take a "level" plane angle and a "flairing" plane angle and aim the light somewhere between to the 2 measurements ,..this way ,..when your landing the light illuminates the runway in both landing and taxiing and gives you a pretty good coverage area.

once it's mounted,..take it out in the yard at night,..set your front wheel on a block about 8 inches tall,.. turn the light on,..
then remove the block and set the nose down ..and see if it need's adjusted to meet your liking :)

Chase

Dean_aeroleds
05-29-2010, 09:16 AM
The standard glide slope angle is 3 degrees, so a good starting point for aiming your landing light is to aim it 3 degrees down from that axis of the fuselage.

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC