PDA

View Full Version : Control stick and wiring

Jorge&Cindy
10-02-2008, 07:02 AM
I seem to be posting alot, but it's always something new. When I drilled my control sticks for the wire exit, I drilled about .5 inches above where the pivot tube ends inside the stick. Today I realized that when the sticks are pulled full aft, the holes for the wires are even with a cross tube in the fuselage and the wires hit the tube. Now, my plane is no where ready to be rigged. My question is, how close do the sticks come to this tube in a properly rigged aircraft?

Mark
10-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Jorge,
The stick can potentially come all the way back to the tube. In fact you cut into the seat pan for stick clearance. My stick touches the tube exactly when it hits the stop. I hold all the back pressure I can get after touchdown so you might be riding on that wire alot. I usually drill about where you did but exit 90 degrees to the inboard side of the stick so the wires feed to the center of the aircraft.

RandyL
10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Jorge, dude, there is no such thing as “posting alot”, that's what this forum is for! Realize that probably every other builder will have the same question -- your question and the answers will remain in the archives for others to search on and benefit from. The fact that you added pictures really clarifies it for all, good job! And thanks Mark for the quality answer that could only come from someone who's been there & done that.

Once this forum is a couple of years old with a nice accumulation of information there will be users who don't bother to post to ask their questions, they'll get most of 'em answered from the archives. From your question and Mark's answer I've just made a mental note to take my stick grip wires out the front of the stick, thanks for asking and saving me from possibly drilling an extra hole!!

Jorge&Cindy
10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey Randy,
I emailed John on this and am waiting his response. Do you see a problem with just drilling another hole opposite or to the side of the original? I'll put a rubber bumper in the hole to make it look intentional.

RandyL
10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
No problem whatsoever, that's what I'd do.