PDA

View Full Version : 2 points of wear

wadeg
05-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Looking for some opinions on 2 points of wear on the 7.

1. I am getting some wear on the muffler spring tabs. The tension of the stock springs are causing the holes to 'ovalize' as the springs essentially work their way through the tabs very slowly.

2. Similarly, on the tailwheel tabs. The tailwheel spring clips are very slowly working on the holes in the rudder's horns. Though much less than mufflers. I have my springs very slightly slack when centered so there is no constant tension on the tabs.

Any tricks to halt the wear short of waiting until new tabs have to be welded on?

cap01
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
seems a pretty common fix is to install an42 or an43 eyebolts in the rudder horn and tail wheel steering arms . works good , one up one down even reduces the angle of the chains/springs

TY2068
04-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Would anyone happen to know the proper grip length AN42 eyebolt (4,5,6,7) for Maul tailwheel steering arms. I'd like to order some of these but will not have access to the plane for several weeks to measure. Hate to get some too long and need to stack on washers.

Av8r3400
04-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Here's a link to a size chart for AN eye bolts.

Link (http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/eyebolt.pdf)

Dave S
04-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Waged,

I can help on your first question. The wear on the exhaust spring holes is caused by the springs vibrating - best way to minimize that (you probably cannot totally prevent it) is put a bead of red RTV into the full length of each spring on both sides. I also ran a safety wire through the spring - the idea is if the spring ever breaks, that will hold the exhaust together for a bit and also keep teh spring parts from getting in things under the cowl. So far I still have round holes where the springs hook. Both ideas came from EAA tech counselors I knew. I keep some extra springs in my on board parts kit.

Sincerely,

gregsgt
04-07-2016, 03:36 PM
seems a pretty common fix is to install an42 or an43 eyebolts in the rudder horn and tail wheel steering arms . works good , one up one down even reduces the angle of the chains/springs

I was debating doing this on mine but I was worried about the torsional force this would create on the horns. Do you think that is something to worry about?

Av8r3400
04-07-2016, 05:35 PM
(The original post on this thread was in 2010…)

jrevens
04-07-2016, 07:52 PM
I was debating doing this on mine but I was worried about the torsional force this would create on the horns. Do you think that is something to worry about?

Greg,
In my opinion, no. It will minimize the upward bending force on the arms at the same time that the small amount of torsional force is created. The moment arm is very small. I do think that the biggest advantage to using eye-bolts is eliminating the wear on the holes in the arms of the tailwheel. The eye-bolts can be replaced much more easily & cheaply than a control horn. I admit that it's probably not much of an issue either way, but I like the eye-bolts. I like the S.S. ones... can usually find them cheap at OSH. I install them on both the rudder horns & on the tailwheel.

TY2068
04-09-2016, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the Link. I assumed lots of guys were using these rather than having the rudder and tailwheel horns wallowed out. This old thread is relavent and I used it to give some background (points of wear). One recommendation was to place the eyebolts up on the rudder and down on the tailwheel horns. I don't know about that ? I'll figure it out.