PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cables

Av8r3400
05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Background information: My yellow plane is a 1050 model IV. As far as I know it came from Skystar with the 912 FWF kit.

The throttle is a vernier (twist) style handle that attached to a belcrank system that attaches two very short (12") cables to the carbs.

These short cables are my problem: One of them has broken. The sleeve is 12" long, with a 1/4-20 thread on each end and the core is plain braided cable.

Does anyone out there have the same setup? Anyone ever replace one of these cables? The McBeans close on Friday at noon, so I wasn't able to contact them (yet). Spruce and Wag don't have anything like this in their catalogs...

TGio
05-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Try McFarlane, http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Details.aspx?ID=99237330&Article=199 they sell a Throttle cable for the Rotax. It dose not have the "mix" box. the style is like a traditional throttle cable, just double.

Av8r3400
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Tom - I've seen these before. This is what I have on my (later model) 1200 project plane. I'd rather not rework the entire system on this plane if I don't have to... :o

cap01
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
i have the same set up . try california power systems ,cps, at www.rotaxparts.net (http://www.rotaxparts.net) , they have all kinds of cable parts . or even lockwood in florida , i guess ive have better luck calling them ,their wedsite has been difficult to use if working at all .

Av8r3400
05-08-2010, 10:42 AM
This is what I need:

SkyPirate
05-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I have made cables like this ..you can get the ends from just about any place that builds and repairs trucks that have hydraulics on them ..1 ton dumps,.. wreckers,..and bigger trucks ..etc,..and use a teflon lined cable housing for next to zero resistance that will never haveto be lubed.

just a thought :)

PS just in case anyone was wondering why I said hydraulics ...most of the old style hydraulics used steel solid or strand cables that run from the cab back to the hydraulic valves,..most of the new style use electric over hydraulic valve bodies which eliminates the need for cables,.but any place that works on these type set up's ussually have to make their own control cables for special config situations

Chase

HighWing
05-08-2010, 12:02 PM
This is the typical factory set-up for the Model IV. Is it the stranded internal cable that is broken or has the shieth separated from the threaded ends? If the former, the stranded cable is standard 1/16" aircraftr cable - I never had on brake, but changed them out periodically. If an end has separated from the shjeth, I had that happen once and did a field repair by using some safety wire and wrapped it so the sheith couldn't slip away from the end. It worked well enough, that I just never got around to doing a real fix.

My present project has the factory 582 forward package, so I will be interested in what comes up as a source. I have the tools to make my own, but remain all ears. I also like the bellcrank style cable splitter and welded that into the fuselage early on. I doubt the factory still supports that system as they have pretty much gone to the double cable.

cap01
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
lockwood should have all you need to build a cable , even the adjuster

Mnflyer
05-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi I had that set up on my plane when one broke I went to the local sports shop (they repair motorcycles 4 wheelers etc) and looked thur their spares and found a cable that was the same and installed it worked till I converted to the HKS. Oh I wasn't paying close attention you have a the Bing 64 carbs and at the time mine were the 54's so maybe finding cables will not work out at such a shop.

Av8r3400
05-09-2010, 11:52 AM
The cable core is fine. The sleeve (outer casing) is what is broken, just past one of the crimped on threaded ends.

Come Monday, I will call LEAF. If they don't have it, I'll probably move on to the McBeans...

kitfoxnick
05-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I had this same problem last year. The cable at lockwood is what I ended up with. Works good no swagging just a compression style fitting to hold the sheath.