PDA

View Full Version : Model 1 engine mount

rpd7719
05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I just bought a model I KF project with what I think is the original motor mount. Looking around I've seen a newer style that uses side mount brackets on the engine to rubber Lord type mounts to the the engine mount. Is that the better design and where do you get it? Also is a 582 that was never run and has been sitting around for about ten years, should it be O/H'd or upgraded to bluehead?

GDN
05-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I've seen it on a website but i think expensive :

Rotax 582 Engine Mount Retrofit Kit

http://kitfox.lazair.com/skystar/upgrades_and_performance_enhance.htm

I've got the originale mounting plate and it's sure that under 2500 rpm we've got a lot of vibrations even with my new rubber engine mount.

rpd7719
05-05-2010, 11:06 AM
It looks to be clean in the cylinders, no rust and it turns over. Does have dual ignition. I'm an A&P but have never worked on any Rotax. Maybe I'll just take it apart and reseal, I have heard something about wrist pin bearings in the old grayheads that should also be changed out???????

SkyPirate
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
check your paperwork to see if the engine has the update done on the water pump while you have it apart,.. is it an oil injected motor or pre mix,..might want to check the injector pump as well if it has the oil injector set up,.some do some don't,..there is an after market oil injection pump set up available as well.

Chase

t j
05-06-2010, 07:10 AM
It looks to be clean in the cylinders, no rust and it turns over. Does have dual ignition. I'm an A&P but have never worked on any Rotax. Maybe I'll just take it apart and reseal, I have heard something about wrist pin bearings in the old grayheads that should also be changed out???????

After listening to all the opinions out there on when and how to tear down and inspect my Rotax two stroke I ordered one of these CDs. It is well worth the $35. It explains the updates and how to convert a Grey Head to a Blue Head and the cost to do so.
http://www.homebuilthelp.com/New_Rotaxengine.htm
Scroll all the way down to the bottom on this web site to see a sample of the video where he shows you where to look for rust on the crank shaft.