PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox IV Trigear to Tailwheel

kmach
04-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi,I have some questions on converting from trigear to taildragger . I am looking at purchaseing a 2006 Model IV that was built as and is setup in trigear, flying off pavement. It looks to be all standard gear in trigear config. It has a 912 uls , the radiator is mounted just forward of the main gear, right under your seat. Is this common?Are there radiator-nosewheel issues? I would be flying off a slightly rough grass strip, and I have only ever flown taildraggers , would the trigear cause any difficulties? Advantages/Disadvantages of trigear? And what should I check for mounting points on tail ,rudder etc. for setting up as taildragger ?what does the radiator attach to , by the firewall, in a taildragger 912uls setup? Yeh I know allot of question ! :rolleyes: Thanks

Slyfox
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't have the measurements, but my radiator is just behind the rudder pedals. Not a big deal, just drill some new holes and bolt it on further forward. I would wait until you have the landing gear put in its new spot and than find a comfy spot for the radiator.

kmach
04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks Slyfox , curious what the empty weight of your modelIV with 912uls is ?Taildragger or Trigear?

Slyfox
04-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I believe it's about 640, tail dragger. you can go into my personal and see a pic of the plane.

djmc4344
05-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I looking to convert my model IV from tail wheel configuration to tri gear. Maybe if you buy the model iv with the tri gear we could work out some kinda exchange?

kmach
05-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I looking to convert my model IV from tail wheel configuration to tri gear. Maybe if you buy the model iv with the tri gear we could work out some kinda exchange?

That might be possible, but I haven't bought it yet ! Why do you want to change to tri gear? What Kind of gear do you have on yours, I would put the grove on. Anyone know the difference in weight of standard gear and grove ? Or what does the standard gear weigh? Grove gear weighs 24.3 lbs for a kitfox IV, I believe that's without axles and wheels.:confused:

djmc4344
05-02-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm changing for the following reasons

lower insurance rates
Easier to take off and land, safer fo me
I can't find a local instructor for a tail wheel endorsement that will instruct in my Kitfox, insurance wants 10 hrs dual before I can solo it.
I'm a low time pilot just coming back to flying after many years not flying
I'm old, 60 years, so I don't learn as fast as when I was young.

My gear is standard gear, so you wouldn't be interested in mine, but I would be interested in your set up if you buy the plane.

Dan

HighWing
05-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I talked to a Grove rep and asked for exact weight of the grove gear for a Model IV Kitfox including mounts and hardware and after a bit of delay she came back with a tad over 31 lbs. My guess was they put the whole thing on a scale. I always love the weights posted in aviation sites - they tend to show the bare bones unit. After talking to her, my guess is that the 24.3 lbs. shown on their site is for the legs only. This gear has billet milled brackets that fit between the fuselage attachments that add the extra wieght. She said the 31 lbs included gear legs, all hardware, mounting brackets and axles. Brakes added to that number.

Lowell

t j
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I researched the weight difference when I purchased my kit in 1994. Somehow I came up with Grove being 25 pounds heavier. I can't remember where I got the weight figures so take it for what its worth.

kmach
05-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm changing for the following reasons

lower insurance rates
Easier to take off and land, safer fo me
I can't find a local instructor for a tail wheel endorsement that will instruct in my Kitfox, insurance wants 10 hrs dual before I can solo it.
I'm a low time pilot just coming back to flying after many years not flying
I'm old, 60 years, so I don't learn as fast as when I was young.

My gear is standard gear, so you wouldn't be interested in mine, but I would be interested in your set up if you buy the plane.

Dan
Yeh we could possibly work something out, Just have the detail of buying it to work on!;)

kmach
05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I got the 24.3 lb figure off the Grove website. That is only the legs, nothing else. Anyone know the weight of the tubular gear that comes with the kit ? I am trying to figure out the increase in weight from switching from standard kitfox gear to grove, using the same brakes ,tires etc.

Cookflys
09-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Has anyone heard of using the original landing gear when converting to nose gear. I read where you could move left to right and right to left and attach to aft two fuselage landing gear brackets.

HighWing
09-16-2012, 08:47 AM
I have never heard of it. One thing I can see that might be an issue is what you will have to do with the fuselage to provide a strong spot for tying in the bungees.
Lowell

tommg13780
09-16-2012, 08:56 AM
I just switched and did an actual weight of each including brackets, axles and bungees. According to my batroom scales the actual difference was 19#. the bungee gear is covered with the trailing edge airfoil trim.

Cookflys
09-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Purpose of reversing left to right and right to left is so the bungees would use the aft seat structure. The only problem I see is the elevator bell crank is in the way. Somewhere I read this is possibility.

Lowell, Are you still building your brush gear?

avidflyer
09-20-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't think you can just use the taildragger gear for tricycle setup. I believe the gearlegs are built at a different angle which would put the tires further forward or back. If someone can pull up pics of a tri and taildragger plane it should be apparent in the picture. Take care, Jim Chuk

rogerh12
09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
The Kitfox model 4 Tri-grear kit from Kitfox uses only a Grove Spring Main gear. Special CNC main gear adaptor plates are included, which pivot, and let the spring flex down in the middle (under the fuse).
Roger