PDA

View Full Version : Removable boot cowl

Dorsal
04-19-2010, 05:44 PM
For those who opted for the removable boot cowl what did you do for a firewall / boot cowl seal?

Dorsal
05-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Still looking for info on this topic, what are the ramifications of not sealing the firewall to the boot cowl? Also is there a reason not to use Teflon tape on low temp fuel fittings such as quick drains in the wing tank?

tucsonchris
05-18-2010, 07:15 AM
John told me to me to use the "Tiger Seal" that came with the kit. I'm not sure what the stuff is, but I'm guessing it will form and cure into the grooves of the firewall but it won't "glue" the pieces together?

At any rate, it was advised I fly off my 40 hours without the seal, then when I'm sure everything works, apply the seal and bolt the boot cowl down.

I had toyed with the idea of using the spray in fire foam used in stud walls--but I have no idea if that has any merit.

Also, I believe teflon tape has the ability to shred off pieces into the fuel system...the creamy stuff doesn't, and better yet, is re-positionable.

Dave S
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
For what it is worth - "Tiger seal" , according to the label, is a polyurethane adhesive/sealant - IMHO - it does a perfect job of both - I can't see there will ever be any under cowl engine fumes getting past it. You just about need to cut it with a piano wire to get the stuff apart.It cures to about the consistency of tire rubber - never really goes rock hard and doesn't fracture.

I don't think the stud wall foam is designed to hold up to the heat or environmental conditions it may be exposed to in this application. For that matter - I am not real sure about it's resistance to burning.

Fly Well, Fly Safe, Fly Often,

Dave S

Av8r3400
05-19-2010, 04:29 AM
The builder of my 1200 used the "Great-Stuff" type foam on that plane. I plan on removing it and using silicone engine baffling material.

The builder of my yellow plane kept the cowling tight and there is no seal needed other than the padding on the firewall.

Dorsal
05-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I will fly off the 40 hours then use Tiger seal. Should be soon now, drove it around the back yard this weekend