PDA

View Full Version : 912/914 mecanical fuel injection

catz631
04-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Just returned from Sun-N-Fun and saw a very neat mechanical fuel injection on a Highlander. NO ELECTRICS ! It is supposed to give a 10-30% boost in power,more reliability,mixture control,etc. They have been flying it for awhile on the Highlander and the rep says it is working out quite nicely. He told me that it was designed by the same guy that designed the one used by Lycoming (no wonder it has a similiar appearance) It is made in SC. If anyone is interested I have a flyer on it with the phone number,etc, The price is $3600 for the system.
I also looked at the new billet fuel pump. There is no doubt that I will go to this when my fuel pump craps out. This is a first class unit ! No"Mickey Mouse" here !
Dick

jdmcbean
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
They have been around for awhile... The Rotec TBI is an interesting thought as well.

http://www.airflowperformance.com/html/site_html.html

wannafly
04-20-2010, 06:43 AM
I used to have an airflow performance fuel injection on my subaru and did not care for it much. It does not have a built in fuel shut off and with the high wing on the kitfox you can fill your cylinders with fuel if you forget to shut off the valve. Even if you do shut it off the fuel in the lines will seep down into your manifold and I found it was hard to start when the engine was warm. Maybe they have changed this issue...

flybymike
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
As for the Rotec TBI that John mentioned, I put another 4 hours of flight on mine (Continental 0-200 with Rotec) over the weekend. All 4 hours were flown in loose formation with another Kitfox equipped with a Rotax 912S and I was consistantly burning less fuel than the Rotax. Not much less, but less. In my application the Rotec TBI does require some attention to mixture adjustment in order to get the really low fuel burns. So once I'm settled into cruise altitude and power setting, I can adjust the mixture to dial in a low fuel burn.

Av8r3400
04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
For the record, on my 32 hour trip to S 'n F and back, in my 80 hp 912ul powered Kitfox IV, turning an average 5200 rpm at ~100 mph indicated (My prop is still flat-pitched for skis.) I averaged 3.25 GPH.

I see no reason to change from the carbs.