PDA

View Full Version : flaperon hanger damage

egp8111
04-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Anyone have any experience with replacing a rib with damage to the flaperon hanger ?

Av8r3400
04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Could you give us some more details or photos of the plane?

egp8111
04-06-2010, 03:02 AM
It's a model III with some damage to the aft portion flaperon hanger rib. I found some info on the Avid site showing the method for just replacing the section of the rib aft of the rear spar. Just wonder if anyone has done this type of repair and how difficult it was ?

Av8r3400
04-06-2010, 05:36 AM
I'd suggest getting hold of Brett at Airdale. This is what is left of Avid Aircraft and he has rib tails in stock like what you need.

(If you didn't know, the I-III Kitfoxes were basically carbon copies of the Avids.)

DesertFox4
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/support/service_bulletins/sb9a.htm

You may want to look at the service bulletin found by clicking the link above talking about reinforcing the wooden rib flapperon hangers. It may be what you can use to repair a damaged original rib end that the flapperons attach to. Most early Kitfox's were retrofitted with this reinforcement but some were not. It requires opening up a little fabric at the tail of each rib to slide the stiffeners in then securing them in place. If you have any hesitancy in tackling this give Murle Williams a call at 602-978-0553. I know he's done several of these. Hope it gives you some place to start. Good luck.

dholly
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
A time consuming but not terribly difficult fix, much quicker if your wing is uncovered of course. Adding the reinforcing plates to the in and outboard flapperon hinge ribs while you're at it makes sense to me.

One word of caution, if you're not going to fabricate your own, call KF for their KF I-III rib tails. The KF I-III rib profile differs from the Avid S.T.O.L./Heavy Hauler. While the front to rear curve along the top capstrips are identical, the Avid rib has ~1/4" more under camber along the lower capstrip, as well as a thicker section at the rear spar. You can see the thicker web section of the KF rib (below) vs. the Avid rib (top) at the spar hole. Using the Avid rib tails will require modification to match the height of the adjacent KF ribs both top and bottom and, if you have the KF slip-in wing tanks, the Avid tails are not 'spread' wide enough to reach the spar without opening them up. You can see what happened when I used KF wing tanks in my Avid...

akflyerbob
04-08-2010, 08:56 AM
this is replacing all hingrib tails I bought from Brett

GDN
10-25-2011, 12:46 PM
To install the aluminum reinforcement does i have to remove the metallic trailing edge because it prevent them to be in place

egp8111
10-25-2011, 06:34 PM
just enlarge the opening in the metal trailing edge with a Dremil tool so the re-enforcement can slide through next to the rib. just be careful not to cut into the rib. A little heat will soften the epoxy if needed.

GDN
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
OK and after how can i glue them, what the part number of that brown glue we call in France "PR" ?