PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Flying a Rotax 582

Robin G
09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
.... besides me? If so, I'd like to talk to you. Like to get your experience and comfort level with the engine. I suppose this should probably go in the engine thread, but I'm not sure how many would happen to look there.

Thanks,

Robin

Ron S
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I was flying a Challenger II for several years with a Rotax 582 single ignition snowmobile engine without any problems except once when the voltage regulator failed - on the ground.
Ron

Mnflyer
09-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Robin, I had a 582 in my Kitfox and flew it 290 hr before converting to the HKS. I had no real problems with the engine it ran good provided good takeoff both ground roll and climb cruise was not all that great. Fuel burn was 4 to 4.5 gph had to change needle jet setting every spring and fall to keep the EGT's in the proper range, spark plugs required changing every 35 to 40 hrs. It required a strong battery to start it if a 582 does not spin up good on start (particularly when cold) it will not start. Like I said I had no problems with the engine but I never truly trusted it maybe just me, another thing is on 82*F+ days the coolant temp was at the red line which I didn't like at all. I much prefer the Rotax 503 but of course its not an engine I would want in my Kitfox.

Robin G
10-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Guys. I am fortunate to have found a Rotax trained tec on my field. Yesterday we spent a number of hours going over the engine. Basically did a 100 hour and sync'd the carbs. With only 65 hours I found the engine to shake excessively at idle, which turned out to be set about a thousand revs too low. Gear oil was dark so we decided to pull the unit off and open it up. I will find out the results this weekend.

I agree, for 65 hp the little airplane is impressive on takeoff and climb, at least with one person. In my model 3 I only get about 75 mph at cruise however. When we get the gears back on I'll fly it for a while before deciding to either sell the machine and get another with a 912 or possibly re-power.

Thanks again.

Robin G

fly away
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Robin,

synchronizing the carbs is indeed very important in order to reduce vibrations.
Most of the synchronizers have a scale rang 0...29,5" HG - too large!;
I have made best experiences with the synchronizer from a german company. The scale range 0...17,7HG for the rotax 912 and scale range 0...11,8"HG for the rotax two stroke enables you to synchronize your carbs in a perfect manner. The company is specialized in producing synchronizers for carbs. The gauges are equipped with capsule pressure gauges with zero adjustment.