PDA

View Full Version : Rotax 912 ULS parts source

gsxrpilot
04-03-2024, 05:52 PM
I'm just getting started here and this is just the first of probably many questions.

Where is the best place to get parts for the Rotax 912 ULS? Right off the top I'll need some gaskets for the carburetors. A search online brings up lots options, but I thought I'd ask here to see if there is a typical go to vendor for these types of parts.

Thanks,
Paul Steen
N304KF
Series 7SS

Kitfox Pilot
04-03-2024, 06:10 PM
Many go to Leading Edge airfoils for parts. https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/

desertdave
04-03-2024, 07:07 PM
Many go to Leading Edge airfoils for parts. https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/

They are also a board sponsor, the help pay the bills for the forum. Please do support them!

gsxrpilot
04-03-2024, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the great info. I placed my order with Leading Edge Airfoils. Happy to support a sponsor.

Paul

efwd
04-04-2024, 05:40 AM
Be prepared for sticker shock when sourcing Rotax parts. I had a valve cover gasket seeping this past month and found them to be unreasonably priced at $30 each. I took the data regarding the O-ring and with O-rings in hand walked into Gaskets and Things and came out with $5 worth of O-rings for all of the valve covers. That included the four small O-rings that seal the center bolt on each cover as well as a few plastic line caps to cap off my oil lines. But I must say, Ive purchased many other items from Leading Edge. Great bunch of people there.

Kitfox Pilot
04-04-2024, 05:59 AM
[QUOTE=efwd;111123]Be prepared for sticker shock when sourcing Rotax parts.

Sticker shock for airplane parts?? Surely you jest...Haha

efwd
04-04-2024, 06:06 AM
Lol. But, is an O-ring an "airplane part"?

Dave S
04-04-2024, 06:20 AM
Paul,

I definitly second the positive comments abput LEAF.

A short time ago when everyone seemed to be suffering from the "supply chain flu", I needed to replace the 912uls on our plane due to crankcase fretting. Didn't know if I could even find an engine. LEAF told me that had excatly one in their warehouse and the first person to show up at their door with the cash wouild get it. LEAF is sort of in the neighborhood just east of us so off I went and managed to be the first person at the door.

On the O ring deal, be sure to check Jerry Tex's comments in the resource section. The company Jerry originally went to has been long gone for a while; however, I found that that the McMaster Carr people are o-ring wizards and provided an update to Jerry's original post.

gsxrpilot
04-04-2024, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all the good info. I do like supporting businesses that support the community.

I must say I'm having a bit of sticker shock myself... but in the other direction. My other two airplanes are certificated. And this being my first experimental, everything costs a fraction of what I'm used to paying in the certificated world.

Cheers,
Paul

jrthomas
04-04-2024, 09:06 AM
If you ever need to do a rubber replacement go to NAPA. I replaced my oil and coolant hoses last summer for less than $300. That was for the blue silicone hoses and a hose cutter. For my Model 4 I bought 8ft of 5/8" (in place if the 16mm) coolant, 8ft 1/2" oil and 3ft 1" coolant hose.

jiott
04-04-2024, 02:56 PM
I agree that an o-ring is not an "airplane part" exclusively, but you better know what you are doing when sourcing things like o-rings from suppliers other than Rotax. The identical size o-ring (diameter and x-section) comes in probably a dozen different "rubber" materials and several different durometers (hardness). Some of these material differences can be identified by color, but others cannot. If you do not know the material specs for the o-ring you are replacing and just order a standard buna N 60 durometer o-ring, you are taking a chance I would not care to take on something like an engine that can get very hot and has several kinds of fluids that must be compatible with the o-ring material in some very critical locations. Just 2 cents worth of thoughts from an old hydraulics engineer.

jrevens
04-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Good points, Jim.

Paul - FYI, keep in mind that we have a very good o-ring supplier right here in Denver. Rocket Seals (I believe on S. Lipan St.). They?ve been in business for many decades and have a huge inventory in both Metric & English sizes in many different materials, durometers and types.

jrevens
04-04-2024, 09:42 PM
It?s strange how this site changes some punctuation marks into something else ( like an apostrophe into a question mark in my preceding post).

efwd
04-05-2024, 09:53 AM
That is absolutely correct Jim. Having a dedicated operation who deals in seals and Orings almost exclusively, in my back yard, is a plus. One can determine the sizes no problem, but I did have to dig a bit deeper to find the substance it is made from. As for silicone coolant hoses mentioned. I just ordered a second replacement hose as Ive burnt two on the exhaust now. This time I ordered a very expensive Silicone one. One that has the appropriate bends. Ive fixed the routing issue by shortening up some of the other hoses going to the cabin heat radiator. I began replacing my coolant hoses with NAPA supplied hose. I have abandoned that effort for any of those that came with the engine itself. Silicone hose that is straight dose not lend itself to bending into much of a radius. It likes to collapse. So, LEAF is my source for Rotax Silicone formed hose and while I was at it I paid for the Rotax Orings for my new oil leak at the crankshaft position sensors.

gsxrpilot
04-05-2024, 11:44 AM
Good points, Jim.

Paul - FYI, keep in mind that we have a very good o-ring supplier right here in Denver. Rocket Seals (I believe on S. Lipan St.). They?ve been in business for many decades and have a huge inventory in both Metric & English sizes in many different materials, durometers and types.

Great information, Thanks!