PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox near Chandler AZ

Kitfox Pilot
02-15-2024, 03:13 PM
We are in AZ for a few days and are staying right across the road from Chandler airport and am wondering if there are any Kitfox aircraft based there? I'd sure like to visit with a real Kitfox pilot. Haha

desertdave
02-15-2024, 04:29 PM
There are a couple there but I don't know names or phone numbers. If you have time head out to MoTown airport for the flying circus this weekend.
https://www.arizonaflyingcircus.com

I'm going to try to make it out there but my calendar is pretty full.

Kitfox Pilot
02-15-2024, 04:48 PM
Thanks Dave. We are going to buckeye airshow this weekend. I had saw the deal at Motown but wasn't sure about it. I was hoping stoldrag would be at buckeye again this year but I guess it didn't do well enough last year. Thanks.

efwd
02-15-2024, 06:57 PM
Awe man, Harlan. I have made the last two Buckeye shows but this time my plane is grounded. Few weeks back after thinking about our late friend losing his prop blade I figured to give my hub a closer than typical look on my preflight. Discovered two Cracks in the blade hub. So since I was down, I entered into my condition inspection a month and a half early. I currently have my engine off and in the shop for a new rear seal so needless to say.....shoot. Fred will be there I am told but driving.

Kitfox Pilot
02-16-2024, 08:15 AM
Eddie I was bummed fred said u couldn't come. The prop thing is a real deal to watch. I extra checked mine and I don't have that brand. Get the plane back together and I hope to fly farmfox with you someday.

jiott
02-16-2024, 10:59 AM
Eddie, what brand is it? Is it ground adj?

efwd
02-16-2024, 04:14 PM
Whirlwind. Ground adjustable.

bumsteer
02-16-2024, 04:29 PM
Don't want to hijack Harlan"s thread, but, Eddie have you notified Whirlwind, and if you did, any response?

Rick

jrevens
02-16-2024, 07:10 PM
Whirlwind. Ground adjustable.

Would you describe in detail where the cracks are, or provide a picture, Eddie?

ken nougaret
02-19-2024, 02:35 PM
I too am awaiting details Eddie. Especially since I have a Whirlwind. That's a big bombshell to drop on us without details.

efwd
02-19-2024, 05:32 PM
The cracks were right at the edge of where the hub meets the blade. Since I have the same crack 180 degrees and on the opposite half of the hub of the same blade, I can only think that the blade is a bit out of round. On the blade root I can feel where there is an overlap or seem in the carbon fiber. I see that the hub contacts the blade 360 degrees around but that it does so only about 1/4" deep into the hub then there seems to have been a void for nearly 3/4" with various contact marks within the hub. My cracks are eliptical with a radius of something like a dime. They enter then turn right back around and exit. Within that 1/4" contact mark in the hub. Stress fractures. Possibly could have been avoided I suppose by rotating the blades around of which I never did. I assume that would require another dynamic balance so I left them in their respective ports.