PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank placement facilitating rib stiching

tjohnson
09-14-2023, 11:45 AM
Need some insight from those been down this road before.
I was about to bond the fuel tanks on my STi. It occurred to me that I need to leave room between the #3 rib capstrip and the edge of the fuel tank to allow rib stitching of the #3 rib. That however decreases the distance between rib 1 and the header tank vent line making for a tight turn of the vent line.
Question is.....Is rib number three stitched? When doing the fabric?
Trimming the edge of the fuel tank is a option. But would like to avoid that of course.
Another option is to trim a little of rib 3 and run the vent line between rib 1 and the transition rib 1a.
Interested in your solutions....thanks

tjohnson
09-14-2023, 01:54 PM
Problem solved...courtesy of John at KF.

jsully
11-19-2023, 07:43 PM
Problem solved...courtesy of John at KF.

What was the solution? Trying to sort that out on my build this weekend…

olsonCCR
11-26-2023, 10:23 AM
Hey guys,
I am at the same step with my STi wing. About to bond in my fuel tanks and install the vent line for the Rt tank but it's a pretty tight bend. The instructions in the manual aren't clear at all where the vent line will run to either. I emailed Brandon at KitFox last night but would love to know what the solution was for Rib Stitch concerns for Rib Capstrip#3 and how and where you ran the Vent line.
Also, apparently I didn't purchase the banjo bolt upgrade for the fuel line. anyone have concerns or reservations about simply using the supplied L shaped fittings, or are there specs you can recommend to buy a banjo bolt locally?

Thanks!
Kevin

Shadowrider
11-26-2023, 07:50 PM
Hey sorry can’t help you on the rib stitching, didn’t do it….But I would highly recommend the banjo fittings. We have two sti’s and both left fuel tank fittings start leaking after a couple months. Had to go back in and retrofit them with the banjo fittings. I know you can source them locally, but I think I would just send heather an email and she will have you some coming shortly.

jiott
11-26-2023, 09:25 PM
Regarding rib stitching the #3 rib, Don't fill in the gap between the tank edge and the #3 rib cap with Hysol, leave it open. Instead use small wood blocks Hysoled between the side of the tank and the web of the #3 rib in about 4 places to stabilize the tank. These won't interfere with the rib stitching.

tjohnson
11-26-2023, 09:38 PM
Hey sorry guys I have not visited the thread in awhile.
So my concern with the tank placement was that the return line had a very sharp turn
Because it is up against the rib. I talked with the folks at.the factory and they
Said one easy solution was simply cutting one barb off the fuel return fitting. Your left with three barbs.
That's what I did and there is plenty of fitting left to secure the return line and ease.the bend.
It's brass and is easy to cut. Just smooth the edge and polish a bit.
Hope.that helps..