PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Experimental Avionics Pricing Comparator - Google Sheet

Project_RavenFox
07-06-2023, 06:43 AM
Hi All,

After watching the Garmin Experimental Avionics Solutions for Kitfox Aircraft webinar at the end of last month – thanks again Brad – I couldn't find an interactive online Garmin Experimental Avionics Explorer / Price Comparator. Using the Garmin Experimental Solutions Pricing Worksheet PDF (https://www8.garmin.com/aviation/brochures/Experimental%20Pricing%20Sheet%202023.pdf) as a starting point, I made one in Google Sheets over a few evenings last week and thought it might be worth sharing:

Shorter, self-explanatory link:
https://tinyurl.com/GARMIN-EXP-AVIONICS-COMP-2023
Or if you prefer, the original link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bJMdK9pabZZZ-ywRkB3_8h8iij8lqV1HQkXWbukv-OM/edit?usp=sharing

To build one or more custom Flight Display Configuration examples to compare: Click File > Make a copy and follow the instructions at the bottom of the Google Sheet.
I haven’t yet tried downloading and opening in MS Excel or Apple Numbers, so let me know how you get on if you do give that a go – there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Any feedback good or bad, either here or directly via the comments feature in the Sheet itself is appreciated.

I am not affiliated with Garmin, and the linked Google Sheet is not approved or authorized by Garmin; DYOR.

I have a few questions myself about Garmin Sensors Kit Options for a typical Rotax injected engine installation, but will save those for another post.

Enjoy – I hope it helps someone else get their head around Garmin's extensive line up! :cool:

Project_RavenFox
07-06-2023, 07:04 AM
Garmin Rotax 912 Sensor Kits – for anyone with first hand knowledge please :)

In this Garmin Sensor Kits Pricing PDF (https://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdfs/G3X_sensor_kits_pricing.pdf) Garmin lists a part number for a minimal, carbureted 912 Sensor Kit:
G3X Sensor Kit, Rotax 912 (K00-00514-00)

It contains the following items:
• 494‐70001‐00 EGT, Type K thermocouple
• 494-30004-03 Fuel Pressure (Carbureted) / Coolant Pressure, 15 PSIG, 1/8-27 NPT
• 494‐30004‐01 Manifold Pressure, 30 PSIA, 1/8-27 NPT
• 909‐D0000‐00 Ammeter, Shunt, +/-50 mV, 100 amps

So I wonder which of the additional Garmin Optional Sensors are typically, or must be specified – or is there's a better way (P/N) to specify a Garmin Sensor Kit for injected Rotax engine installations?

Do builders simply ask their Garmin dealer to swap out the 494-30004-03 sensor for a 494-30004-02 Fuel Pressure (Injected), 50 PSIG, 1/8-27 NPT?

Do any/many/most builders fit the 94‐10001‐00 Fuel Flow, 1/4" Female NPT sensor in a 91XiS installation?

Why does the Garmin 912 Sensor Kit not include Oil Pressure or Oil Temperature sensors – are these shipped as standard with the 91XiS engines?

Thanks again for any feedback/insight to any of the above – I'll update the Google Sheet accordingly with anything useful.

rv9ralph
07-06-2023, 08:35 PM
If you are installing a Rotax 9XXiS engine, all sensors are part of the engine harness. The only external sensor is for fuel pressure, which is mounted into a manifold provided in the firewall forward kit.

The Garmin connection to the engine is through the Garmin EIS LRU and the Rotax HIC connectors and the Rotax ECU.

Project_RavenFox
07-07-2023, 05:04 AM
Many thanks for the info Ralf, especially - "all sensors are part of the engine harness".

After skim reading through the 912iS Installation Manual searching for 'sensor', it's all becoming much clearer – sorry I didn't do so earlier.

What I'm still not quite fully clear on though, is whether I need to order an external fuel pressure sensor, or if Kitfox supplies it with the manifold in the firewall forward kit?

Lastly did you fit a fuel flow sensor? Do many builders?
I didn't see any specific requirement for it mentioned in the 912iS Install Manual, only the commissioning requirement of "90 l/h".

All said, I can't help thinking it would be more informative if Garmin's 'G3X Sensor Kit, Rotax 912' in their G3X Sensor Kit Pricing PDF (https://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdfs/G3X_sensor_kits_pricing.pdf) was split into separate listings for carbureted and injected engines – so I'm inclined to do just that in my Google Sheet.

Thanks in advance for any additional info :)

Eric Page
07-07-2023, 02:52 PM
I don't see a fuel pressure sensor on the 912iS firewall-forward packing list (see attached). That list is dated Sep 2018 but I received it in Apr 2021. I presume that they don't include one because they can't know what kind of sensor you need to interface with your chosen avionics.

Geek
07-07-2023, 03:07 PM
I don't see a fuel pressure sensor on the 912iS firewall-forward packing list (see attached). That list is dated Sep 2018 but I received it in Apr 2021. I presume that they don't include one because they can't know what kind of sensor you need to interface with your chosen avionics.

Yeah there is no fuel pressure sensor in the firewall forward kit and fuel pressure doesn't come out from the FADEC. The Garmin G3X Installation manual, Rev March 2023, page 275 talks to the 912is fuel pressure sensor. Calls out the UMA 1EU70D, 0-70psi differential sensor.

G

Kitfox Pilot
07-07-2023, 03:30 PM

It is a add on part. They usually sell you one when you buy the engine from kitfox for around 300 if I remember correctly.

Project_RavenFox
07-09-2023, 04:05 AM
Many thanks Eric, Geek and Harlan for all the useful info - much appreciated! :cool: