PDA

View Full Version : Using the VP-X with Current Fault Detection

VictorV
06-27-2023, 11:23 AM
FYI, I am using the VP-X pro with my Garmin G3X suite. I ran into an interesting issue and the resolution so I want to pass
this along to others planning to use the VP-X.

During electrical bringup I noticed that some devices would power-up for a few seconds and then power-down. The VP-X would indicate
"Current Fault" due to no current flowing. It turns out that the VP-X requires a minimum current draw of 0.10 amps in order to detect
that a device is "on". If the current is lower than 0.10 amps it shuts down the circuit. There are some devices that draw less current
when they're idle. In my config, those devices were GSA-28 servos, GMC-507 Autopilot Controller and the GI-260 AOA Indicator. Once
I disabled current fault detection for those circuits it worked fine for all but the GI-260. It was still shutting off. I finally connected it
to the G3X power and all was fine.

I'm a bit disappointed that I had to disable current fault detection for those circuits since there's now no way to detect that the device
did not power-up as expected. At least it's all working though.

Victor

Shadowrider
06-28-2023, 06:23 PM
If those devices have a fault or don't power up normally I think they should alert you through the G3X. At lease our autopilot servo that failed did.

VictorV
06-29-2023, 01:48 PM
If those devices have a fault or don't power up normally I think they should alert you through the G3X. At lease our autopilot servo that failed did.

Good point. I hadn't considered that.