PDA

View Full Version : Around the USA in 17 days

3kdscf
06-18-2023, 06:18 PM
After spending 20 years building my Series 6, I have been having a blast flying her. This is the second year I have flown around the USA. This years trip was 17 days and covered 5632 miles with an average of 375 miles per flying day (I took two rest days).

I live on the west coast and my goal was to fly to the east coast, swim in the Atlantic, and come back home but other than that I decided each morning where I would go based on the weather. From my trip last year I knew that 400 miles a day was about right considering all the overhead of flight planning, finding hotels, and getting to and from airports.

In the cargo area was my folding bicycle, sleeping bag, tent, food, and my small backpack with my clothes and toiletries. Because I would be landing at a lot of unimproved strips, I brought a full set of tools and spare parts to handle any mechanical situation I could think of. I also knew I would need an oil change during the trip and possibly a 100hr service if the trip went long. In the passenger seat were four quarts of oil, the tools, filters, spark plugs, spare parts, three quarts of water, and all the supplies I would need during the flight.

I love small town America and had no interest in visiting big cities. Other than my home airport, I didnt land at one controlled airport the entire trip and always chose grass or gravel when given a preference. I would always try to choose a final destination where the hotel was within 3 miles of the airport so I could walk. None of the towns I flew into were big enough to have Lyft or Uber and although many FBOs have courtesy cars, I never relied on that luxury. After sitting in the cramped cockpit all day, I would usually choose to walk to the hotel even if a courtesy car was available. I never needed to use my tent and sleeping bag but once I did need to bike 20 miles to my hotel so I was glad to have the bike. I did need my tools and my loctite 243 to handle a coolant leak from a temperature sender so the tools were worth their weight in gold.

The Kitfox might not be fast but it more than makes up for that by allowing me to go the amazing places a Cessna 182 cant :)

Benbell4140
06-18-2023, 08:24 PM
Super cool! Thanks for the write up. Sounds like so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta Whisky
06-19-2023, 06:01 AM
What a great trip - thanks for posting - motivation for all! Darrel

DesertFox4
06-19-2023, 07:45 AM
Congrats Dan. A great way to celebrate your build and fulfill a dream that hd to become a little more possible with every part you installed on your model 6. That map is impressive. Hoping you have another Kitfox adventure in your very near future and this thread inspires others to explore the cross-country capabilities of their Kitfox.

3kdscf
06-19-2023, 10:36 AM
Congrats Dan. A great way to celebrate your build and fulfill a dream that hd to become a little more possible with every part you installed on your model 6. That map is impressive. Hoping you have another Kitfox adventure in your very near future and this thread inspires others to explore the cross-country capabilities of their Kitfox.

Thanks!

The one thing I am so incredibly grateful for is such a supportive "ecosystem" around the Kitfox. We have Stick&Rudder for training, this forum for support, and most of all, a well run kitfoxaircraft llc to provide constant upgrades and replacement parts.

The one upgrade I just found that is available is the 48” extended cargo bay # 64891.105 that replaces the standard 32" one I have. That additional 16" of space will make the kitfox an even better cross country machine.

desertdave
06-19-2023, 01:03 PM
Congrats and I absolutely love the polkadot paint scheme.

MikeFairbanks
06-19-2023, 01:08 PM
What a terrific trip! I'm only a month into my build, but I'm already looking forward to all the incredible places I will go with my Kitfox.

3kdscf
06-19-2023, 05:57 PM
What a terrific trip! I'm only a month into my build, but I'm already looking forward to all the incredible places I will go with my Kitfox.
Enjoy the journey! Building is just as much fun as flying in my opinion. :)

3kdscf
06-19-2023, 05:57 PM
Congrats and I absolutely love the polkadot paint scheme.

Thanks! It was inspired by my favorite childhood book, "Put me in the zoo" by Dr Seuss. It has the added benefit of making the plane virtually theft proof :)

3kdscf
06-19-2023, 05:59 PM

I am actually wondering how far I could go if I made a custom gas tank for the passenger seat and one for the cargo area so that all the useful load was used for fuel.

Kitfox Guy
06-19-2023, 07:53 PM
Wow, what a great trip. This sounds like a great “bucket list” item. I think I met you at Perkins Field, NV (U08) about a month ago during a refueling stop.

3kdscf
06-20-2023, 07:13 AM
Wow, what a great trip. This sounds like a great “bucket list” item. I think I met you at Perkins Field, NV (U08) about a month ago during a refueling stop.
Hi! Yes you did! That was right before I started the trip. By the way, you live in a magical part of the country. "Valley of Fire" does not make it onto any tourist Top-100 lists but in my opinion, its way more spectacular than the Grand Canyon ... and you dont need to stay in a shoulder width corridor at 11,500' :)

efwd
06-20-2023, 09:52 PM
Thanks for posting. I have been thinking of doing this ever since John M. flew to the Bahamas. I think the FL Keys will do for me though. I definitely want to land at KittyHawk Natl. Monument too.

Auster
06-22-2023, 04:43 AM
What a great Kitfox trip - I am equally envious and admiring. I would like to read more about this journey if you decide to put something together. I'm a big fan of long trips in the Kitfox and about to embark on another summer of trans-European flying so thanks for the inspiration.

Kitfox Guy
06-22-2023, 09:38 AM
Hi! Yes you did! That was right before I started the trip. By the way, you live in a magical part of the country. "Valley of Fire" does not make it onto any tourist Top-100 lists but in my opinion, its way more spectacular than the Grand Canyon ... and you dont need to stay in a shoulder width corridor at 11,500' :)

Yes the Valley of Fire is a hidden gem that most miss as they tend to fixate on the nearby Grand Canyon. Whenever I have an out of town guest, who is comfortable in a small aircraft, I take them on a sunrise or sunset flight through the Valley of Fire. Everyone has been amazed.

bbs428
06-23-2023, 03:15 AM
Enjoyed your write up and pics. Sounds like you have the makings for a more detailed, in-depth book. Your adventure has got me thinking...

All the best!

Kitfox Pilot
07-02-2023, 04:11 PM
Great trip you took. You almost came over my house in Illinois. If you ever pass again let me know and I'll fix you up with a good night's stay.