PDA

View Full Version : Rotec Radial Installation Update

SaintAero
02-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Here's a few photos to share about my project. This is a Rotec Radial on my Kitfox SS. I have been motoring the engine using the battery/starter to check out the Dynon D180 instrumentation, cables, oil hoses, and electrical interfaces. Getting close to an engine run. - Don

SkyPirate
02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
looks good saintaero,..I like the color choice of the plane too :cool:

Chase

Dorsal
02-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Man that looks sweet! nice work.

HighWing
03-02-2010, 08:32 PM
What is the rectangular box on the right side mounted on the firewall?

Lowell

SkyPirate
03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Lowell ,..I believe it is the oil tank.

Chase

SaintAero
04-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Right, the box on the right side is the lower oil tank. I did not have enough volume with one tank, so I made two tanks. My aluminum welding is evidence of "amateur-built". The lower tank is normally full (4 quarts) and I use a float sensor to measure the oil volume (2 quarts) in the upper tank. One interesting fact is that the upper tank is emptied with the engine running. That means that at least 2 quarts of the 6 external quarts is in the engine when running. Here's a photo of the initial engine run. It started after about 1/3 blade and ran like a radial (imagine the sound of a radial engine at idle). The tone is like a harley. Fun project! - Don

SkyPirate
04-04-2010, 03:33 PM
that's awesome~!! on my engine choice,..which is a auto conversion ..I am making a similar system so that I have a "pump in" and a "pump out",..which could be called the sump pump but it is external instead of the conventional auto config,..the oil pan will not have the sump hump in it,.2 scavenge rails that get connected to the pump in( pumps to the tank),..one in top and one in the bottom of the engine for prolonged inverted flight which go to a small header and then to the pump and to main tank ,..gotta keep that oil moving :) depending on how much room I have for radiator's,..I might also have to put an oil cooler in..we will see.

Chase

SaintAero
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Here's another update. I had the exhaust pipes ceramic coated to limit the heat to the cowling. I really don't want to melt the cowling. - Don

DesertFox4
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Making good progress Don. Looks great!! Should be a blast to fly.

paulc
05-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Here's another update. I had the exhaust pipes ceramic coated to limit the heat to the cowling. I really don't want to melt the cowling. - Don

Hey Don, Nice job! But did you take moulds of that nice cowl? I'm sure other Rotec buddies could benifit from your handy work? :)

Your front would be the same for MK5 thru 7 right?

Just on that was there ever a Model 6???? Never hear of one?

Paul Z
05-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Don,
iwanted to say I enjoyed the day! FYI Teamkitfox I flew fro Mesquite tx to Pecan Plantation about 100+ miles. Don wanted to get a couple of touch and goes in, before he gets his plane certified. Since it was my birthday I figured it was a good reason to fly to visit Don. It was a stiff cross wind but it as definitly a fun trip.

The only down side to the trip was I discovered my right wing tank is not feeding the header. I an going to get to spend some time working on the fuel lines.

I wanted to say thanks thanks to Don for a great day, and i wanted to say you have a great looking Kitfox. I am looking forward to flying with you in the future!

Paul Zz.

SkyPirate
05-02-2010, 08:48 PM
well happy birthday Paul ..it must be nice to finally reach 30:cool: har har