PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcement Brackets

P Johnson
07-26-2022, 08:23 AM
Anyone know why we put two coats of poly- brush on the reinforcement bracket before attaching them with poly-tak? it just doesn’t seem right to me, I may put some polyfiber doily’s on the inside as I don’t want them to drop off when the wing is all sealed up or am I worrying about nothing?

P Johnson
07-26-2022, 03:32 PM
No need to reply I have got a answer.

Dave S
07-26-2022, 04:38 PM
PJ,

The reason for using the two coats of THINNED polybrush is to provide a "bedding" that will help adhesion and reduce the possibilities of pinholes. This is the reason described in the poly fiber manual near the beginning of the discussion on wing covering in the context of preparing a leading edge for fabric attachment; and, goes on to say the same procedure should be used on all large metal, wood or fiberglass parts that will be covered with fabric.

The reference in the Kitfox manual under the covering section appears to regard the lift strut aluminum reinforcements in the same light; so, consistent with the polyfiber manual.

P Johnson
07-27-2022, 07:58 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have glued them on as per the manual, I am still considering putting some tape on the rear as a backup against separation.

Dave S
07-27-2022, 08:30 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have glued them on as per the manual, I am still considering putting some tape on the rear as a backup against separation.

PJ,

Hard to argue with the "belt and suspenders method"! No harm in that. In our case, when the part was glued to the fabric, I turned the excess fabric from the hole over the backside and glued that to the backside of the aluminum then did a course of tape on the outside.

Have to say the polyfiber system is a great product.