PDA

View Full Version : Hub Cap Options

Jerrytex
07-13-2022, 11:05 AM
Looking for info on Hub caps. I searched around and didn't find much.

I have the Cleveland 6" wheels and the Grove 1.25" axle. I am a little confused on what hub caps I need. I have seen the pie pan caps with the 3 holes on the perimeter and it looks like they line up with the 3 holes on my rims. Then I have see some that have a hole in the middle on the hub cap? The end of the axle is threaded so do the hubcaps mount here and are stationary?

Looking for some enlightenment......

On a side note.....Do most not even run with hubcaps? Seems like there needs to be a way to check air pressure without removing the hub cap?

Thanks

Dave S
07-13-2022, 11:19 AM
Hi Jerry,

The only reason I see for wheel covers is to keep crap out of the hub at least on the outside and to improve air flow/aerodynamics.

I think the reason for the hole and screw cap units is because the axle/wheel combo on the Kitfox seems to require a bigger bump on the wheel cover to than what is provided on the off the shelf wheel covers.

Back a while I made some one piece ones with a bigger bump - probably not what everyone is up for that but if you are interested in seeing how that worked out - do a search on "home made light weight wheel covers"

I guess access to the air fitting is important - I've just removed the three little screws when checking.

I think a lot run without wheel covers.

napierm
07-13-2022, 12:17 PM
Those threaded ends are for mounting wheel pants. On some planes the wheel nut has the threaded stem for the wheel pant bracket.

Another thing that threaded end is used for is mounting a stone catcher around the rear of the tire. I've seen pictures of those for bush planes.

http://www.aerotwin.com/products/main_gear_gravel_deflectors.html

I think they should have the bunnies on the mud flaps like truckers do.

Jerrytex
07-13-2022, 12:37 PM
Thanks all.

Dave, your thread where you built covers explained a lot. I see where some have cut a hole for the axle to stick through and then made a smaller plate that bolts to the end of the axle to cover it. Makes sense now.

I kind of wonder...... if just cutting the end of the axle off would be an option?

dginok
07-13-2022, 01:38 PM
I made some 3D printed hub caps. There's a matching cap that screws into the end of the axle to finish it off, not shown in this picture, and probably not necessary.

jrevens
07-13-2022, 03:00 PM
Thanks all.

Dave, your thread where you built covers explained a lot. I see where some have cut a hole for the axle to stick through and then made a smaller plate that bolts to the end of the axle to cover it. Makes sense now.

I kind of wonder...... if just cutting the end of the axle off would be an option?

I considered doing that, but just left the wheel covers off. You could cut the end of the axle off if you wanted to.

Benbell4140
07-13-2022, 06:04 PM
I cut my axle ends off to make the covers fit. I never plan on installing wheel pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efwd
07-14-2022, 10:03 AM
"pie pans" installed on mine. I used a step drill to drill a hole in the middle so that the axel and its threaded hole are exposed. Kitfox sells an aluminum cap with the Kitfox Logo with one machine screw that fits the axel. I remove everything to addess the air pressure. 30632

Jerrytex
07-14-2022, 04:53 PM
Thanks Eddie. I think this is route I am going to go. The whole axle sticking out was throwing me but the caps makes sense now.

Thanks to all for the ideas and thoughts.