PDA

View Full Version : Series 7 Super Sport

Jez
07-05-2022, 06:23 PM
Hi all, a bit late to the party seeming I started my build last month. But hopefully I can find some time to post what I am getting up too on my build. Hopefully you guys can answer some questions about the build if I get a little stuck and hopefully I will be able to give out some tips also.

DesertFox4
07-06-2022, 08:36 AM
Congrats Jez on starting your 7 Super Sport build. Very exciting time for every builder.
Lots of knowledgable and generous builders here to help keep you moving forward.
Welcome and please share your progress when able.

Kitfox Pilot
07-07-2022, 06:17 PM
Hi all, a bit late to the party seeming I started my build last month. But hopefully I can find some time to post what I am getting up too on my build. Hopefully you guys can answer some questions about the build if I get a little stuck and hopefully I will be able to give out some tips also.

Jez, Always good to see new kitfox builds going on. Plenty of good advice here on this forum when you get stuck. Good luck!

Jez
08-17-2022, 01:53 AM
This is how I opened up the detent pin hole for the stick. I was thinking maybe I should post some pics on how I done a few-things to help other builders

Jez
08-17-2022, 02:03 AM
I am two minds whether to replace the wooden floorboards with Bryan project kitfox carbon fibre ones and use a different method to screwing the down. Any thoughts?

Jez
08-17-2022, 02:07 AM
How does my pics get viewed by everyone? Are they the wrong way up, because when I post them they are orientated the right way but when I view them they are viewed sideways which is slightly annoying. I am new to all this so yo will have to bear with me

Jerrytex
08-17-2022, 05:06 AM
Build is looking good!

Not sure if this will work for you, but on the pics.....what I have to do is open up the pic on my computer (mac), rotate the the pic completely (360) then re-save them. Import the newly saved pic into your post. Not sure why this works.....makes no sense to me, but for whatever reason its been working for me. Otherwise... When I import them, they are straight but post sideways like yours.

Kitfox Pilot
08-17-2022, 05:15 AM
I am two minds whether to replace the wooden floorboards with Bryan project kitfox carbon fibre ones and use a different method to screwing the down. Any thoughts?

Nut plates are a better option for the floorboards IMO.
Carbon fiber is fine but the plywood works fine for me and weight difference is hardly any on that item. I would have tried the carbon fiber cowls Kitfox sells if I had it over to do again....

Geek
08-17-2022, 08:52 AM

Rivnuts and machine screws for the floorboards.....You will hear many who say "No they spin in their holes" but mine don't. Course then I used a couple drops of the Loctite 680 (bearing retainer) as I set them. I read the specs on the 680 and once it sets up, it claims to have a shear rating of 4000 psi which is just north of a bunch. Also turns out that Brandon does the same thing at the factory - uses rivnuts. Makes taking the floorboards in and out (cause you are going to do that multiple times during the build) really easy.

Gary

jiott
08-17-2022, 09:46 AM
I used tinnerman nuts for the floorboards; very easy, self-centering, don't strip, easily replaced if necessary.
I agree that the weight saving in carbon fiber over the 1/8" plywood is very small and not worth the cost.

Jez
08-18-2022, 03:30 PM
Build is looking good!

Not sure if this will work for you, but on the pics.....what I have to do is open up the pic on my computer (mac), rotate the the pic completely (360) then re-save them. Import the newly saved pic into your post. Not sure why this works.....makes no sense to me, but for whatever reason its been working for me. Otherwise... When I import them, they are straight but post sideways like yours.

I will give that a go thanks

Jez
08-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Nut plates, rivnuts or tinnerman. Decisions decisions, thanks guys

Jez
08-18-2022, 03:54 PM
Ok, I have decided to go with rivnuts just because I have some already. Which type of metal do you guys recommend, aluminium, steel or stainless steel? I know there is such a thing about not being able to use certain metals with other metals due to corrosion and what not? Dissimilar metals that’s it.

Jez
08-19-2022, 03:16 AM
I think this next topic is super duper important, it took me a whole day of stripping apart my aluminium block, nylon block bearing and control column to find out why after torquing to the proposed torque settings the fore and aft gets too stiff. Well first and foremost, the idea of using steel split pins inside the nylon bearings is a fantastic idea which I done, but there is something I found which disrupts the whole movement which was staring me right in the face and could not believe it when I found it, but it completely frees up the fore and aft movement. Ok, at the end of the control column where the bolt exits, there is a build up of powder coat. So all is required is too get a flat file and square it off. Because it being slightly built up causes the aluminium block to tilt when you tighten the nut up against the washer and that part of the column. A very easy fix, but hard to see when trying to figure out because its such a small amount to square off. The end which needs to be filed square is the size of the tip of your little finger. Trust me that this very small area and thing to do is 99% of why it gets stiff when tightening.

jiott
08-19-2022, 11:33 AM
Good catch!

Jez
09-04-2022, 10:43 AM
So onto the dreaded rudder pedal assembly. I too have banana T and wondering how I am going to get it straight. So my first attempt is to try and squash it ha ha

Jason Murphy
09-04-2022, 04:26 PM
I laid my pedals flat on my table top to make sure that they were square with one another. I have seen some people line up the tabs. Any error in alignment of the tabs can be corrected when the cables are swaged. If your really OCD over it turnbuckles can be installed where fine adjustments can be made after the fact.

Hardwood
09-07-2022, 05:36 PM
How does my pics get viewed by everyone? Are they the wrong way up, because when I post them they are orientated the right way but when I view them they are viewed sideways which is slightly annoying. I am new to all this so yo will have to bear with me
Hello Jez, some appear portrait, others landscape. The same thing happens to me on here… I just turn my ipad!

That is a good looking drill press in the picture.

The way you drilled out the detent pin for the rudder handle is the same way I did mine, minus the 45 degree pin holder. I have one now though! My only question at the moment of drilling was, if there is a hole that my drill bit already fits through with my fingers, why am I drilling it again? I questioned myself further when upon extraction of the spinning bit, it bound and sheared off cause me further troubles.

Looking good thus far, I’m going to keep looking.

DesertFox4
09-07-2022, 06:45 PM
Jez, I flipped your photos. I think it has to do with iPhone orientation during picture taking. Just a theory so far as have not experimented one way or the other yet. What kind of phone are you using Jez? Maybe it’s a Galaxy thing.

Jez
09-07-2022, 08:47 PM
So squashing the rudder t bar did not work surprisingly ha . Never mind, decided to give the torque tube a good sanding out with a steel bar wrapped in sandpaper. It worked a treat, but as you know it will not be enough to make up for the slight bend. So I will put shims under that side to make it up. God knows how some of you builders get away with using a standard drill for putting holes into metal, it’s the last resort for me. So I use my pillar drill whenever I can, so much easier.

Jez
09-08-2022, 12:29 AM
Jez, I flipped your photos. I think it has to do with iPhone orientation during picture taking. Just a theory so far as have not experimented one way or the other yet. What kind of phone are you using Jez? Maybe it’s a Galaxy thing.
Yes, I flipped my phone horizontally and now they come out the correct orientation thanks

Jez
09-28-2022, 03:52 PM
I thought I would share how I managed to get my rudder pedals moving without any resistance at all regardless of how much I torqued them. After screwing down the right side, and the centre aluminium blocks, the left side was hovering 7mm above the front wooden ply board. So I cut out the ply underneath the aluminium block and placed a 7mm aluminium block that I produced myself as a big shim so to speak. I then used hysol to stick this to the fusalage so that it could not move at all obviously when the original aluminium block was placed on top of this one. Hopefully my pics will do the talking.

Hardwood
09-29-2022, 05:06 PM
Good pic of the description Jez, I’m hoping that mine are straight now! Did you cut your “shim” out of aluminum stock or have it machined for you?

Matt

Jez
09-30-2022, 05:45 AM
Hi Matt, I cut it to size with my harbour freight band saw, and then took it to a machinist to get the 7mm height which was done on a milling machine I guess. I forgot to mention that I put a washer under each bolt in between the aluminium block that I made and the fusalage so as there would be no movement or guess work whilst the hysol went off in between. So make sure the aluminium block is undersized to allow it to be made up with the different thickness washers that we use throughout the build .

Hardwood
10-03-2022, 09:01 AM
Hey Jez, well I am hoping that my pedals are straight as I’m not sure what access to a machinist I will have when it comes time to that. Thanks again for the explanation.

Matt

Jez
10-03-2022, 01:31 PM
You can get the closest stock size and make the rest up with washers as long as it’s not too big a gap I guess, else you will using a lot of hysol in between

Jez
11-19-2022, 12:01 AM
Another little torque problem I rectified on the break pedal by using a bolt with a cotter pin instead of using the nylon nut to torque to the impossible 25 inch pounds without it getting stiff. A little overkill, but at least the only restriction I get now will be from the brake cylinder itself when applying the breaks.

Dave S
11-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Jez,

The Nylocks are easy and quick, however, Cotter pin fasteners have a lot of utility, as you found. Back when I was doing my build, I was very fortunate to have both EAA tech counselors and a Designated Airworthiness Rep (DAR in the US) who had for their day jobs repairing and signing off on modifications for heavy iron and everything in between. My DAR was an FAA inspector who new just about every trick and what works - he suggested I use Cotter pins on many of the applications - while they can sometimes take a little more time when a person has to select fit thin/thick washer to arrive at a correct torque, they can be used anywhere while the nylocks do have some limitations (related to heat or rotation). I guess if it is good enough for Boeing and the FAA, I figure it was ok for a kitfox!

Jez
11-20-2022, 11:41 AM
Thanks Dave, that’s very reassuring. Hopefully it will help others also.

Jez
12-04-2022, 02:45 PM
A few pics here to help others. I used tape on the wire before cutting with a dremel disc and then took it off and applied industrial super glue to the ends to stop fraying. The washers were a smidge to small for the bolt to go through on the adjustable rudder stick so this is how I enlarged them 8 thou more.

Jez
12-18-2022, 08:03 PM
Some quirky relief cuts which I found helped with the contours of my aluminium door joggles. I found this method better than trying to bend and pull them into shape whilst forcing them together with a cleco. This was the most extreme which I thought I would share. The rest went together nicely

bbs428
12-20-2022, 10:56 AM
I remember some grief those "joggles" caused me. Luckly, I found a post and pics from J. McBean that helped out.

Are you in Hereford, Texas or the UK Jeremy?

Jez
08-10-2023, 08:12 PM
Sorry for the late reply. UK

Kitfox Pilot
08-24-2023, 03:53 PM
Jeremy I was just wondering how the build was coming along? Harlan

Jez
08-25-2023, 03:58 AM
Hi Harlan, I just started last week and found my mojo again after stopping at Christmas. Big mistake to stop for too long. `But I really got the bug again which is really nice. I have just marked the bubble door for cutting like you did, and then I have to build my wings from scratch which seems daunting I must say. But I think Alex will help me out if I come across any problems. I have to get the saw horses prepped up soon and glued to the floor or square ready for the spars. Your videos including Bryan's and Rogers have been very inspirational for me. So thanks guys for the support, and thanks for asking Harlan. I do follow all your vids and do wonder if you would ever take your mother up with you or you were just both joking that day?

Jez

Kitfox Pilot
08-25-2023, 10:24 AM
No Joke at all, she would have went in a minute as soon as I asked her. She had no fear at all about flying with me. She passed away in Jan just before I flew it in april. I hated not getting to fly her. Thanks for asking about her. Harlan

Jez
08-25-2023, 10:48 AM
No Joke at all, she would have went in a minute as soon as I asked her. She had no fear at all about flying with me. She passed away in Jan just before I flew it in april. I hated not getting to fly her. Thanks for asking about her. Harlan
My condolences

Jez
08-25-2023, 12:58 PM
Ok, so not been building since Christmas but started again last week. I found another way of finding the centre of the door frame by using the door handle block and clamping it in place and drilling with a 11/64 drill bit that fits very snug.

Jez
08-25-2023, 01:07 PM
And for anybody who has not got their boot cowl yet, this is the thickness you haver to bend the frame inserts too

Jez
09-02-2023, 01:17 AM
I just had too...

Jez
09-02-2023, 01:25 AM
I just had too...

I am trying different ways of orientation of photos. I keep forgetting to ask the person taking the photo to put the phone sideways to take photo. That seems to orient it in the correct upright position when I download it.

DesertFox4
09-02-2023, 07:19 AM
That is required at that stage of the build. We’ve all done it, and it’s fun.😀

sshort21
09-10-2023, 03:18 PM
I used tinnerman nuts for the floorboards; very easy, self-centering, don't strip, easily replaced if necessary.

Apologies for the dated questions, but I'm just getting going (on both the kit and this forum). I bought a 4/2020 kit (virtually untouched) in 6/2023 and I just started having time to work on it a few weeks ago.

This makes lots of sense and I love it. The #6x3/8" screws that came with the kits simply aren't capable of threading through the metal tabs (they either aren't long enough or aren't tough enough to tap the tab). For now, I drilled the holes to 1/8" and counter sank (sinked or sunk?) on both sides before using a stainless steel #8 metal screw, but now that I've done that I really-really like the idea of using Tinnerman Nuts. Would you mind sharing which Tinnerman nut you used and which screw? And, who did you order from?

Thanks!

PS - great governor, I'm just getting started and what an interesting learning experience. I love it!!

Kitfox Pilot
09-10-2023, 06:05 PM
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/clipnut.php?clickkey=3008239
These or something like them work for what you are doing. I used them for the baggage compartment so I could remove it if ever needed.
Aircraft spruce will have different ones if you prefer the flat kind also.

jiott
09-11-2023, 09:27 AM
I am going by memory, but I believe I used #6 x 1/2" screws philips head (not self-tapping). I used the plain flat #6 tinnerman nuts. All were ordered from Aircraft Spruce.