PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fuel Site Tubes

RoyHelsing
06-27-2022, 07:39 AM
I recently purchased a Model IV in really nice shape. However, it does not have fuel site tubes or any placard. Previous owner told me you can just look through the fiberglass and see the level - but sorry, maybe my old eyes are getting tired but it seems pretty iffy to me. Anyhow, has anyone added these tubes to an existing aircraft? Is it as simple as buying the kit and some grommets, drill appropriate holes in the tank, and hook it up? If anyone has done this and can share the experience I would appreciate it.

jiott
06-27-2022, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't do it unless the tank is set up for it with thicker bosses at the places the fittings need to be threaded in.

RoyHelsing
06-27-2022, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't do it unless the tank is set up for it with thicker bosses at the places the fittings need to be threaded in.

Unfortunately, I think I have no way of knowing that. I Have the manual the builder used building it - so I can and will look at the plans. However, I suspect that if it had the bosses it would have come with the site tubes and they are not in the packing list he so dutifully checked off.

Dusty
06-27-2022, 02:21 PM
If your tank is see through but a bit cloudy ,try some stick on led strips . They work well.

RoyHelsing
06-27-2022, 04:40 PM
If your tank is see through but a bit cloudy ,try some stick on led strips . They work well.

That’s an idea. Tanks is not see through (or barley so 9see picture) - it is a light to mid brown. The white spot in the picture is just the flask from the camera. However, with that flash it looks like I can see a fuel line, but it is almost impossible to see when just siting in the pilots seat. Maybe an LED strip would help.30555

Av8r_Sed
06-27-2022, 08:09 PM
I added them to my Model III. No special reinforced bosses required. I used fuel tank grommets from JBM Industries like these:

The tubes I used the Ethanol proof blue Bing fuel line, even though I don't use Ethanol gas. The barbed 90 deg fittings can be found at lawn equpment businesses or online. A brass wire inside helps keep the tubes straight. Installed the grommets and fittings with a little dielectric grease. I also safety wired the site tubes so they can't slip off. The placards were printed on vinyl and applied to aluminum sheet cut out to fit.

RoyHelsing
06-27-2022, 11:07 PM
I added them to my Model III. No special reinforced bosses required. I used fuel tank grommets from JBM Industries like these:

The tubes I used the Ethanol proof blue Bing fuel line, even though I don't use Ethanol gas. The barbed 90 deg fittings can be found at lawn equpment businesses or online. A brass wire inside helps keep the tubes straight. Installed the grommets and fittings with a little dielectric grease. I also safety wired the site tubes so they can't slip off. The placards were printed on vinyl and applied to aluminum sheet cut out to fit.

Very nice! Looks like you used the grommets to also hold the placard, correct?

Av8r_Sed
07-02-2022, 05:58 AM
No, the grommets have clearance to the placard. I probably used some double stick tape to attach, don't recall, it's been awhile.

RoyHelsing
07-02-2022, 06:47 AM

No, the grommets have clearance to the placard. I probably used some double stick tape to attach, don't recall, it's been awhile.
Thanks. I think I am going to give it a shot.