PDA

View Full Version : 914 odd occurrence

cposer
02-24-2022, 06:28 PM
I just got my new 914 running. On my second flight after landing and taxiing in the engine started running rough. When I tried to add throttle no response. When I pulled it back to idle it quit. I got out and found some fuel dripping out of the back of the cowling. I let it sit a minute then tried to start it with the fuel pumps off. After a couple tries it started and I was able to taxi back to my hangar. These are brand new carbs. Before I installed the carbs I checked the floats for proper weight and they were right on spec. Wonder why they flooded out after landing?

ScottS97385
02-26-2022, 05:02 AM
Before I installed the carbs I checked the floats for proper weight and they were right on spec. Wonder why they flooded out after landing?

Do you have a fuel return line with restrictor installed? If the fuel pressure is slightly to high the jostling while taxing can pop the needles of the seats causing the carb bowls to overfill and flood the engine.

cposer
02-26-2022, 07:48 AM
I don't think there is a fuel line restrictor in the return line. It is a 5/16" hose from the regulator to the firewall and a 3/8' hose from the inside of the firewall to the header tank.

ScottS97385
02-26-2022, 08:45 AM
You may want to do a search on fuel return lines here in the forum.

jrevens
02-26-2022, 10:34 AM
I don't think there is a fuel line restrictor in the return line. It is a 5/16" hose from the regulator to the firewall and a 3/8' hose from the inside of the firewall to the header tank.

It sounds like you may be describing your main fuel line, not a “return” line. As far as restrictors on the return line go, for quite a few years now there is one built into the fuel distribution fitting that’s clamped to the carburetor balance tube. You would generally use 1/4” hose for that line. You also need a check valve on that line to prevent backwards flow into that fitting. This would usually be installed close to the header tank if that’s where your return line goes.