PDA

View Full Version : Which Kitfox is LSA capable?

aa1bflyboy
06-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm looking into a Kifox. for the day when I can no longer fly my Grumman. First I need to know which of the models are lightsport compliant? Second is there anyone flying one anywhere in the NorthEast or MidAtlantic regions? I'm based in Wilmington DE (ILG).

Nice start on the forum BTW...

Steve

84KF
06-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I fly my Series 5 in accordance with Sport Pilot rules and regulations. It is designed to be structuraly safe, if properly manufactured, (according to Kitfox Aircraft LCC) to 1400 lbs
It is not "licensed" or "certified" to any "gross weight".
There is nothing in any paper work on file with the FAA that mentions, or implies a "gross weight".
There is nothing in my Operating Limitations that states a "gross weight". (I will foward all the paperwork to anyone interested who requests it.)
There is no" gross weight" listed on the data plate.

What matters is the "maximum takeoff weight", as defined and applied IAW Certification of Aircraft and Airmen for the Operation of Light-Sport Aircraft; Final Rule http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/sport_rule.pdf pg 44793

As long as the "maximum takeoff weight" (weight at time of takeoff) is 1320 lbs or less IAW the "FinalRule" the letter of the law has been meet.

It is long past time to end the "gross weight" myth. I am hoping this site will be an improvement over the Matronics site by providing factual information regarding Sport Pilot and LSA issues.
Time will tell.....

84KF
06-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Phil,
I will e-mail, as an attachment, all the "paperwork" on file with the FAA asap. There will be 2 files, both in .PDF format, and can be viewed using a program such as Adobe.

There is nothing special about my planes paperwork...just a routine application process. The point I wished to make by offering my paperwork is to show that at no time in the entire process is the issue of "gross weight", or whatever.... determined or required.

Review the information you will receive from me thoroughly and if you feel so inclined, report back to "us" with your findings. This will be the information as received exactly from the FAA and nothing has been removed, altered, or held back.

One might also consult the FAA publications found at
http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/amateur_regs/ specifically 20-27, Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft

To anyone interested.... you may request copies of all the records on file for your aircraft, (or any aircraft for that matter...) for a $10.00 fee from the FAA.

As far as a Kitfox 4 being eligible for Sport Pilot use, there should be no problem... it will have a typical experimental amateur-built airworthiness certificate and be well within the definition of light-sport aircraft...(assuming you have a fixed pitch prop.)

jdmcbean
06-18-2008, 10:40 AM
All the Kitfox models can be LSA compliant. The Series 7 Super Sport is a very different aircraft then the Series 5 although the changes are not necessarily apparent. The Series 7 Super Sport offers some very distinct advantages over some of the previous models.

The IVO electric adjust can still be LSA compliant.. It just cannot be adjustable In-Flight.

There is one caveat to this statement and it has been challenged. While there is no written requirement to supply the weight & balance information to the inspector during the inspection.. A weight & balance will be asked for by the inspector and is a requirement for an aircraft to be in condition for safe operation. Bottom line.. You will have to supply a W&B and it better not show a maximum gross weight or Take-off weight over 1320 on gear or 1430 on floats. In the Case of the Model IV.. 1200 lbs max gross weight. This record is on file at the FSDO for your region...

It also does not have to be a fixed pitch prop.. ground adjustable is allowed and it can be manual or electric adjusted.

PS.. The Weight & Balance is required to be carried in the aircraft at all times... If it shows over the 1320 and you are ramp checked... You will be in violation...

John

84KF
06-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Mr. McBean,
Sir...What a surprise to hear you speak out on the delicate subject at hand. At one time, over a year ago you expressed to me your frustration when dealing with certain individuals on this matter and I must say it is indeed an honour to this site that you speak here openly regarding it. I have always refrained from attempting to commit you to involvement in the "discussions" in the past (on other sites...)

I will now carry in my aircraft a current weight and balance that indicates I have no interest in calculations involving more then 1320 lbs maximum weight. Problem solved.

I would also like to commend the Administrator and founder of this site, for his patience, understanding, and especially the avoidance of the knee-jert stfu reaction this subject has received from administrators "elsewhere". Thank you for your patience.

While I have your attention... is the capacitance type low fuel probe you spoke of in the "Electrical" section a direct (plug and play) replacement for the original Electromatic (P\N VPO3E) type or are there additional parts and\or changes necessary in the indication circuit? If you choose to reply to this question in the electrical section for the sake of subject continuity I will spot it there...

Thank you,

Paul Z
03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
What are the distinct advantages of a Series 7 over a Series 5. I am interested in building or buying a Kitfos, and would like to know why a Series 7 would be preferable over a Series 5 or 6. I also want it to be a LSA.

Paul Z

All the Kitfox models can be LSA compliant. The Series 7 Super Sport is a very different aircraft then the Series 5 although the changes are not necessarily apparent. The Series 7 Super Sport offers some very distinct advantages over some of the previous models.

The IVO electric adjust can still be LSA compliant.. It just cannot be adjustable In-Flight.

darinh
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
John,

On the W&B requirement to be in the aircraft at all times...I have been wondering about this ever since my DAR, at the time my 7 was inspected, told me that it was not necessary to carry the W&B in the airplane...? I must say I am confused about this...some say it MUST be in the plane, while others say it is not necessary. I have looked through the FARs (albeit quickly) and have yet to find anything that says what documents must be in the airplane. Can anyone point me to a FAR that specifically states the required documentation that must be in the aircraft?

By the way, my DAR was a former FAA employee and NTSB inspector for over 25 years.

rufas
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
FAA - There's your problem !!!

Lion8
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I am looking to purchase a Used Kitfox that had been previously registered as Expermential. Do I understand it corretly that if it was registered previously as Expermental that It can no longer be registered as LSA? Thank you for your comment.

CDE2FLY
07-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Darin - the list of required documents is in FAR 91.203 but there's no mention of a W&B needing to be carrried.

kitfoxnick
07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
To Steve, I live about 40 nm east of you in Harford county Md I have a model IV 1200 and would be happy to answer any questions or give you a ride you could meet me at w42 (Fallston) just PM me. For Lion8 here is a good one page read on the lsa. http://www.heavenboundaviation.com/andysportpilot.htm
Basically anything that meets the requirements of LSA definition can be used weather it be a Ercoup, Areonca 7ac, or a kitfox it doesn't matter what type of type certificate weather it is standard or EAB or ELSA or SLSA. I hope this helps.

Renard
07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Speaking of problems with the FAA. If you do not build your kitfox and it is registered as experimental, and you go through the EAA inspectors school you cannot do your own condition inspection. If you buy an LSA or have a registered ELSA you can. However once it is registered, at least this is what an FAA rep. told me at Oshkosh, you may not change the registration to ELSA. Much the same as if you have a medical problem that would not pass a Class III you can fly LSA as long as you haven't taken a medical and have been turned down. Go figure.
Chuck