PDA

View Full Version : Model 7 flaperon jig

Benbell4140
12-22-2021, 12:25 PM
Hello, does anyone have the wooden flaperon jigs that the manual has you build? I’d love to rent them rather than buy a band saw for a one time use. Just thought I’d check before spending money on a saw. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

109JB
12-22-2021, 01:51 PM
Why can't you use a jigsaw?

Benbell4140
12-22-2021, 03:37 PM
Yeah I’m sure I could and might just do that but I assumed a bandsaw would get a much straighter cut.

alexM
12-22-2021, 03:51 PM
I'm in the same boat. I don't have a jigsaw or a band saw and don't feel like buying one for just one task. I mean, I know they're handy and it's not like I haven't seriously bloated my power tool cabinet already.

Possibly I could make a set of templates and then use my router.

bumsteer
12-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Might be a bit of work, but an old-fashion hand coping saw could be used or except for covid protocols, check with local school trades dept and see if a student could make them as a project. Then again I have used my small bandsaw for much more than just the plane.

Rick

P Johnson
12-22-2021, 05:40 PM
I'm in the same boat. I don't have a jigsaw or a band saw and don't feel like buying one for just one task. I mean, I know they're handy and it's not like I haven't seriously bloated my power tool cabinet already.

Possibly I could make a set of templates and then use my router.

The router is the way I would do it, easier to shape a 1/4" ply template then use a ballbearing flush cutter, I also cut aluminium this way.

Paul.

896tr
12-23-2021, 08:32 AM
Harbor freight has a $20 jigsaw. If you are never going to use it again give it away. The new
owner will think you are a rich aviator and possibly volunteer to help you when you need help.:cool:

Pushboy
12-29-2021, 08:06 AM
I have a band saw -- and would be more than happy to make you a set if someone could provide the correct pattern.

Dave.

Benbell4140
12-29-2021, 09:13 AM
That’s a very kind offer and I appreciate it but a member here is sending me his to use.

Pushboy
12-29-2021, 10:17 AM
No problem -- Incidentally, do you know where I can get a hold of the pattern anyway? I have a kit on order and I wouldn't mind making myself a set a head of time.

alexM
12-29-2021, 11:11 AM
No problem -- Incidentally, do you know where I can get a hold of the pattern anyway? I have a kit on order and I wouldn't mind making myself a set a head of time.

Symmetrical or asymmetrical?

Pushboy
12-29-2021, 12:51 PM
Hmm... that's a good question and shows how new to this I am. I'm not sure. I guessing what ever comes with a new SS7 series kit, but guessing has gotten me in trouble before.
I think I knew there were two types, but cannot remember the pros/cons of each, and I also see both listed in the parts catalog, but I didn't see an option to choose on my order from for the kit. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject -- which is better for what?

Thanks.

jiott
12-29-2021, 03:28 PM
The model 7 kit comes with asymmetrical flaperons.
The main thing about the flaperon jig is not a perfect profile, but that it holds the flaperon so that the chord line is parallel with the bottom surface of the jig (where you will be holding your level). Some folks cut the profile a little oversize so that the can line it with a thin foam/rubber to help prevent denting the aluminum skin when you clamp on the jig.

109JB
12-29-2021, 05:10 PM
Although not a model 7, I just had to make a jig for replacing the flaperons on my model 4 project. I hacked it out of plywood and wasn't really even that close, and then put clear packaging tape on the flaperon, slathered the mating part of the hacked out jig with JB weld and put it on the flaperon. Once cured, I had a perfectly conforming jig.

P Johnson
12-29-2021, 05:15 PM
The SS7 are asymmetrical the drawings are are available on the the Kitfox web site but I think you will need the flaperon to get the profile.