PDA

View Full Version : 582 and static port tail location

lst
02-06-2010, 06:33 AM
I purchased, Aug '09, a 1994 Kitfox IV, which came with a new 582 grey head. The engine has never been started and appears today as it would have come from the factory in 1994. The question is do I run it as is or tear it down for inspection? The exterior and what I can see of the interior, intake and exhaust ports, appear clean and free of rust. The entire kit was stored indoors, but not necessarily in a controlled temperature environment. Also I plan to install the static ports just forward of the horizontal stabilizer on both sides of the fuselage. Does anyone have the exact location measurements for this location? Appreciate any guidance from the group.

Lane
Rutan Long EZ
75% completed Kitfox IV

SkyPirate
02-06-2010, 08:29 AM
If your concerned,..and obviously you are since you posted ,
1st ..have you rotated the crank? pull the plugs and see if it feels like it is dragging,.if it is you can put some marvel mystery oil ,..or transmission fluid ,..not much into the cylinders then spin it over again with plugs out..or,..it's pretty easy to remove the heads and jugs to inspect the rings ,..before you do ,..if you can,.. get thge torque specs on the motor ,..the gaskets should still be good if it has never been run ,..just hope they didnt use any tacky gasket sealants,.

or ,..you could pull the plugs and take a light while shining in one ..look into the other plug hole ,..there should not be any discoloration on the cylinders,..if there is ,..your choices are to remove the heads and jugs ,..clean everything up ,..or as above mentioned ,.a little marvel mystery oil into the plug holes ..spin the motor over a few times ,..re install the plugs and away you go,.the point being ..if it is discolored ..the rings with the marvel mystery oil will clean it,..since the engine has not been run ,,there should not be any carbon anywhere that could effect the ring seating,.although chances are they are dry ,.so a little oil wont hurt ...
Concerning the grey head 582's ,..since the engine is still in new condition ,,you might want to check your paper work to see if the upgraded water pump was installed ,..there are some posts in the archives that talk about this update .

the thing that might matter ,..since it is a 2 stroke ..how far away from your location did you go to get the plane and the elevation where the plane was ,..the jetting might be different for your base altitude and where you purchased the plane altitude is significantly different

Chase

lst
02-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks Chase. Inspection of the rings, pistons, and cylinder walls reveal a very clean environment free of corrosion. I'm in northern lower MI and purchased the kit just two hours south of my location.

SkyPirate
02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
glad I could help ,..the altitude in difference between the place you bought it and where your at will be the difference ,..also since it's winter you might have to adjust the needles up or down one notch inside the carb depending on the altitude and temp it's set at now.

Chase