PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a ground plane for your radio?

Steve Sands
12-14-2021, 07:38 PM
I am installing a Garmin GTR 200. The old radio had a ground plane about 2 inches by 3 inches tucked under the antennae. The Garmin says it needs a ground plane at least 18 x 18 with an antennae. What do you all use?

Thanks,
Steve Sands

desertdave
12-14-2021, 07:44 PM
I very thin piece of aluminum is all you need.

Steve Sands
12-14-2021, 07:59 PM
I very thin piece of aluminum is all you need.

Hi DesertDave, I would use very thin aluminum, yes, but do you have a ground plane and how big is it. Thank you.

jiott
12-14-2021, 08:31 PM
I use a ground plane of 4 copper wires, about 18" long, in a cross pattern under my antenna. The wires are easy to zip tie to the structural tubing, and exact 90 degree quadrants are not required.

efwd
12-14-2021, 09:21 PM
I use the airframe and the airframe only. Tony Bingelis of Experimental Aircraft fame suggested it (when talking about steel tube airframe) so I followed. I have not had anyone complain and I haven't any complaint either. I use that same radio. I suppose you would need to know what antenna I was using to get the truth as to whether you would get the same mileage. But, apparently a ground plane is unnecessary. Possibly I could get more range maybe but in this slow airplane I always reach my contacts within plenty of time before I reach their airspace.

alexM
12-14-2021, 10:09 PM
18x18! Wow.

According to Garmin you'd have to locate your magnetometer about 50' from the aircraft for it to work properly. Yes joking, but they seem super conservative on their installation instructions.

Steve Sands
12-15-2021, 05:55 AM
I use a ground plane of 4 copper wires, about 18" long, in a cross pattern under my antenna. The wires are easy to zip tie to the structural tubing, and exact 90 degree quadrants are not required.

Jim, thank you for the note. I like that idea as it seems a lot simpler than a rectangular sheet of thin Al. Hope to meet you at one of the Oregon fly-in's next year.

Steve Sands

PapuaPilot
12-15-2021, 11:05 AM
I used aluminum discs for my plane and it has worked very well.

Here is another way using foil tape. There is a video on the EAA Hints for Homebuilders about this method at: https://www.eaa.org/Videos/Hints-for-Homebuilders/Electrical/6264738687001

jiott
12-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Eddie, I went for about 5 years without a ground plane in my SS7, and like you had no problems with range. However, 3 years ago I flew to Oshkosh and traveled side by side with a friend in an all metal airplane. We were tuned to the same frequencies and he seemed to be able to pick up ATIS information quite a while before it came thru on my radio (Garmin SL40). That's when I began to realize that my radio was plenty functional, but quite limited in range in comparison to others. After I got home I installed the ground plane and immediately noticed a increase in range. Your mileage may vary, but that was my experience.

efwd
12-15-2021, 01:49 PM
Jim, I have an annual coming in February and I was going to do exactly as you have done just to see. I suspect I will gain distance as you have experienced. Just not sure I will ever look to pick up ATIS that far out. Having said that, it is ATIS that I have tried to receive from afar without success. I have to go through Ontario Intl airport airspace before they hand me off to Chino tower. I have tried to get ATIS from both facilities before making my first call but have not been able. So, I just wait and try to monitor Chino while up with ONT tower. Doesn't always work out, hence the reason I was anticipating taking your advice and was going to give it a whirl. I'll let you know.

P Johnson
12-15-2021, 02:08 PM
I use the airframe and the airframe only. Tony Bingelis of Experimental Aircraft fame suggested it (when talking about steel tube airframe) so I followed. I have not had anyone complain and I haven't any complaint either. I use that same radio. I suppose you would need to know what antenna I was using to get the truth as to whether you would get the same mileage. But, apparently a ground plane is unnecessary. Possibly I could get more range maybe but in this slow airplane I always reach my contacts within plenty of time before I reach their airspace.

How slow, after an RV8, RV4 I thought with a 912is and Airmaster I would get reasonable cruise performance?

airlina
12-15-2021, 03:35 PM
Paul , you are entering a whole new mission envelope with the Kitfox, and totally a different speed profile than your previos RV line . As a matter of fact the slogan for the Kitfox is "its not how fast , but how fun". While it is a great STOL perforner , FOR THIS CATEGORY of airplane its no slouch with the standard (not the STOL) wing airfoil and although I don't have a rotax on my Series 5 (Continental IO-240) , my plane is happy at a 120 MPH TAS cruise speed. I think you will see responses from more owners with differing powerplants that will verify that 120 MPH is pretty standard on the later model Kitfoxes. In my dream world , my Kitfox and an IFR capable RV-7 in my hangar would be the perfect fleet, but I haven't won the lottery yet. Bruce N199CL

n85ae
12-15-2021, 07:00 PM
Decent antenna's, and a solid installation is really the key. Ground plane probably has influence
but I'm not sure it's that critical IF your installation is well grounded.

I have in N85AE a Garmin, and a Bendix King KX-155 with the identical Antenna on each (RAMI) I
simply made sure they are well grounded to the airframe and I get really good range with both.
I have been able to talk to KUGN tower from 50 miles away with the KX-155, the Garmin is not
quite as good for range but has never been a problem. KX-155 is pretty old school, but is a really
fine radio

Either Radio has more range than I will ever need in N85AE at normal speeds, and in areas where
I fly (Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota)

Jeff