PDA

View Full Version : SS baggage area

bhassel
02-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Having never seen an SS, is there any way of getting 2 sets of golf clubs in the baggage area?

Didn't I see a Fox with a baggage tube slung under the fuse somewhere?

Slyfox
02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
what about weight and balance?

bhassel
02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Looking at the capability of 150 pounds nthe baggage are should make the W&B an non-issue, that's why I was asking. I was wondering if there was the physical room to do that or not.

airlina
02-06-2010, 06:05 AM
In my Series 5 there is not enough length to the standard baggage compartment to hold golf clubs. If you are planning on building your airplane, a modification could probably be made to extend an area of the compartment to hold your sticks. A few years ago at OSH , I saw a modified bag compartment that even had access from the side of the fuselage.I am not sure if the baggage pod Kitfox offers is large enough for clubs. I would contact John Mcbean for more info.

Wiley
02-06-2010, 09:03 AM
The standard baggage bag isn't big enough for 2 sets of clubs, but there are tabs on the fuselage to put in extended baggage space as you build. We are doing just that on our build, and plan on putting a couple zippers in the bag we bought from John so we can access that space. Mark actually went to the trouble of putting in a door in the fuselage to make the space easier to get to. CG would of course be an issue and something you'd have to look at when deciding what you would want to put farther aft when flying.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/N517WD/132606786269?v=photos#!/photo.php?pid=2896333&id=132606786269

Slyfox
02-06-2010, 09:25 AM
The biggest thing here is the 150lbs of cargo in the back. If I were to start over I would want of these airplanes. But, I'm stuck with my little 4 , sorry won't trade that one. You people out there sure have some advantages on the new kitfox's.

1SeventyZ
01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Anyone have any updated or additional photos of their extended baggage on the SS7?

This is a major deciding factor for me. I don't need to carry a lot of weight, but volume will be important. Tents, sleeping bags, smaller cooler, rifles, etc. Possibly snow skis if the ext baggage is long enough. Easy to keep it under 150 lbs, but length and bulk are what I am concerned about.

I read that the flaperon mixing mechanism is an interference point limiting the baggage volume. Does anyone have a photo of this?

Thanks.

HighWing
01-19-2011, 10:53 PM
The flaperon mixer only affects the width of the bagage area as it is below and on the sides. I have a suggestion, though. I have been aircamping several times with guys that carried folding chairs attached to the lift struts (at the jury struts) with bungee cords. NOt being a golfer, I don't know how this would fit. I put hard points on one of mine for just this idea.

Another thought, however - the inspector that airworthied the neighbors Lancair IV spend his career as an accident investigator in Alaska. His story was that there were numerous survivable crashes with fatalities or severe injuries due to dislodged baggage coming forward violently at the time of impact. The one that really hit me was the guy that was speared in the back of his head by a fishing pole. Then there was the double fatality three years ago, here - back seat passengers in a Bonanza who were impacted by scuba tanks and a cooler full of beer. Be really careful!

akflyer
01-21-2011, 09:46 AM
In my "C" Model Avid the previous owner made an extended baggage that goes from the front of the vertical fin to the back of the seat. An aluminum floor was installed that completely covers the mixer system. The only thing exposed in mine is are the two push rods that connect to the flaperons.

Most of us are running nose heavy anyway (Every one that I know of is pretty close to the leading edge of the CG range). My last flight I had around 100# in the extended baggage area of mine and it was the first time I have been able to fly level with the elevator trim tab in the neutral position. Cruise speed and handling were alot better with the CG closer to the aft range.

I talked to Dean Wilson personally about the CG range and he said that flight testing showed best overall performance with the CG at 19" however, as the vision was for first time pilots to be building and learning to fly in the Avid Flyer that they set the CG range very conservative. He did caution in doing stalls at an aft CG of more than 20" should only be done with full flaps on so you have enough authority to push the nose over and get it flying again.

I would have no issues putting in 2 sets of clubs in my little ole model "C".

enyaw
01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Here are a couple of photos of our completed baggage compartment. We modified the factory bag w/ a couple of heavy duty zippers (in photo2 you can see the back unzipped and laying down) to allow access to the additional space when needed. An added extra is the ability to keep items out of sight when on the ground by placing them in the rear area and zipping up the back wall of the bag.

Photo 1 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=422204421269&set=a.418983681269.195545.132606786269)
Photo 2 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=422204491269&set=a.418983681269.195545.132606786269)

Dorsal
01-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Looks nice, definitely something to think about. I have been contemplating putting boots for skis in the back of my sack, not sure how practical fly to ski is going to be (yes I realize the foolishness of the word practical on an experimental aircraft site).

cainbird
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Dorsal,
If you fly into Mount Snow airport in Vermont and give a call, Mount Snow Resort will send someone down to pick you up and give you a ride up to the mountain and drop you at the Grand Summit Motel. It's only a few miles each way! Cain B

Dorsal
01-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks Cain, will have to try that. Are you going to be up at your hangar tomorrow? I might be out and about.

cainbird
01-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Dorsal,
I am going to be in and out tomorrow so it will be hit or miss!

1SeventyZ
01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Good photos, enyaw, thanks.

Anyone ever framed a baggage side door into a KF?

Dorsal
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes, in fact I believe it was briefly part of the 7 design. Not sure for how long, sometime after mine but before the SS.

War Eagle
01-21-2011, 11:36 PM
My 7 has the extended baggage area and side opening door.

When the airframe was modified the factory installed multiple tabs welded to the airframe tubing on all 4 sides of the opening. I used 3/4 inch aluminum angle to frame the opening (on both sides and the bottom portion of the opening). One flat of the angle attaches onto the tabs located on the airframe tubing and the other side of the angle forms a flat surface for the door frame to set up against.

I looked for some pictures but found I only had a few. The first picture shows the angle frame on the top of the opening but in the end I didn't use that portion. I think you can see a portion of the frame on one side and the bottom of the opening.

I used the aluminum door frame (made by the Kitfox factory) and mounted a piano hinge to the top of it and that hinge then mounts to the tabs located on the airframe tubing that goes across the top of the opening. See the 2nd picture. This allows the door to lift up to open and when open I just use a small light duty bungee type cord to hold the door open by connecting one hook on the cord to the inside of the door and other hook on the cord to the comm antenna on the top of the airframe.

The third picture shows the door frame mounted to the airframe and the next picture shows the sheetmetal I covered the door frame with. I have seen other planes that have covered the door frame with fabric.

The last picture shows the finished product.

1SeventyZ
01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
War Eagle, very nice! Looks good. Any structural considerations with that middle longeron cut out?

Spook712
07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Guys,

I got another question. Can someone post pichtures of the original baggage area of a KF 4 Speedster. And if possible also pictures of the sack itself.

Also measurements of it or any improvements would be nice.

Thanxs for the help

Tuna

DanB
07-11-2011, 02:29 PM
This is a mod done on a IV...not sure if others have done this with other models. http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Baggage1.html

Pingert
08-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Good photos, enyaw, thanks.

Anyone ever framed a baggage side door into a KF?
I have and it fits very well if you want can send pics
Rick Pingert kit fox 7