PDA

View Full Version : Do 914s have / need an external generator?

RV6flyer
11-26-2021, 09:47 PM
I saw in Flyrotax that a number of engines show an external generator. Is one needed on the 914?

VictorV
11-29-2021, 11:04 PM
I saw in Flyrotax that a number of engines show an external generator. Is one needed on the 914?
The 914 has a single internal generator that generates 250w which is about 21 amps at 12v. The need for an external generator depends on
your electrical system requirements.

Victor

Eric Page
11-30-2021, 08:18 AM
Also consider whether you're building an IFR or VFR airplane and how much flying you intend to do at night, both of which will drive your level of tolerance for a loss of alternator.

If the following are true...

1. your battery is of sufficiently large capacity and is tested to ensure it can cope with alternator-out electrical demands for long enough to get you safely on the ground, and
2. you have a plan for reducing electrical load to maximize battery-only endurance, and
3. you have a system to immediately notify you of low bus voltage (EFIS alarm, panel light, etc.) so you'll know right away if the engine's internal alternator dies

...then you may not need a backup charging source.

Shadowrider
11-30-2021, 10:09 AM
With my Nav lights, strobe lights, fuel pump, G3X, landing lights, heater, headseats, ipad, cell phone charging, the stock rotax does not have enough amps. Edge performance makes a 35 amp alternator. Its works awesome. I am running the edge 35 amp alternator as primary. It has its own Voltage regulator. If that dies I switch to the stock rotax alternator and stock rotax voltage regulator to get me home.