PDA

View Full Version : Rock Fox Build

rv9ralph
11-13-2021, 09:05 PM
I am announcing the start of the Rock Fox Build, this is a joint venture between myself and VictorV (Forum name). We met on this Forum and entered into our joint venture. The name originates from Victor's wine label Rock Jack Wines. We took delivery on October 1st, building started in mid October following inventory.

Victor and Me opening Box 1 to start inventory.

Parts inventoried and stored on shelf.

Wings safely stored until needed.

That's all for now. I will post more as we make progress.

Ralph

taff
11-13-2021, 09:31 PM
Congratulations with your project. Its a fantastic hobby and the results are.....incredible!

Take plenty of photos of the building progress, they a great to look at after the airplane is flying.
What model?
When engine is planned?

It looks like you have a nice place to build your dream in.
All the best.

rv9ralph
11-13-2021, 09:40 PM
Take plenty of photos of the building progress, they a great to look at after the airplane is flying.
What model?
When engine is planned?

Plenty of photo are being taken.

We are building an SS7, most all of the options... as most do.

Rotax 915is.

So far we are making good progress on the build. More photos will be included in future posts. I am keeping a build journal with photos imbedded I the file, I will be using that to post updates.

VictorV will also pe posting on our progress.

Ralph

DesertFox4
11-14-2021, 09:42 AM
Ralph and Victor, have fun with your project.

Dave S
11-14-2021, 11:29 AM
Congrats on your start! From the surrounds view in your shop, you have an excellent parts organization system and a great complement of tools.

Enjoy!

rv9ralph
11-14-2021, 06:55 PM
DesertFox4 (Steve) That we will do.

From the surrounds view in your shop, you have an excellent parts organization system and a great complement of tools.

I started an RV9 build in 2000 (hence my Forum label), acquired many tools (and I still get more when needed). Sold the project when I bought my Model 3 Kitfox from family. Organization is important to finding parts and hardware when needed. However, no matter how organized you are, sometimes you will look for an hour for a bushing that is somehow hidden in a subkit.

When we retired a few years ago, we built our house with attached hangar. It makes a great workshop.

Ralph

Kitfox Pilot
11-14-2021, 08:31 PM
I look forward to watching all the boxes turn into an airplane! Its quite a process.

rv9ralph
11-14-2021, 09:58 PM
Photos show technique used. I ground a square onto the end of the chucking reamer to fit a 1/4 ratchet drive set. For extensions I purchased a set of very long 1/4” drive extensions from HF and used a flexible drive chucked into my drill motor. This made quick work of reaming these holes.

jiott
11-14-2021, 10:23 PM
I'm just curious, seems everyone when they get a new kit takes inventory and takes all the parts out of the boxes and puts them on various shelves in the shop. I am lazy and believe in the KISS principle, so when I received my new kit I inventoried to make sure all parts were there, but then left them in the boxes they came in, which are all labeled Box C, Box D-1, etc. Just stored the original boxes in the shop in stacks not too high so they were easy to get into. When I needed a part to work on, I just looked on the inventory list where each part is listed along with the Box number it came in, went to that box and pulled out the part with a minimum of rummaging. Easy-peasy. No need to go to HF and buy a bunch of storage boxes/shelves/roll-around carts. Am I the only one to do it this way?

PapuaPilot
11-14-2021, 10:38 PM
Am I the only one to do it this way?
That totally makes sense. I guess there is more than one skin to weigh a cat. :D

VictorV
11-15-2021, 09:16 AM
One of the things Ralph and I found useful was to take the kits that were in paper bags and transfer to a ziploc
so we could see what was inside. It also helped to group items together and use ziploc bags since some of the
kits have numerous baggies with 1-2 parts and it's painful to dig through the entire pile each time for that kit.

I don't think there is a perfect solution since it seems we still have to search through a bunch of boxes to find
things sometimes.

A few other details about the build....

- G3x Touch
- VPX
- iPad for 2nd display
- Speedster tail
- Laker leading edge
- Upgraded lift struts
- Shock Monster
- Stewart Systems for fabric
- Ground adjustable prop (until MOSAIC is implemented)
- Designing the electrical system using SkyCad

Victor

olsonCCR
11-15-2021, 10:38 AM
Ralph and VictorV. Congratulations! I'm about a month behind you all from taking delivery of my KitFox STi.
I just completed inventory a week ago (left everything in boxes labeled from KitFox :)), and just finished building a wing stand and a 4x8' work surface. Next step is to make some brackets to attach to 2 engine stands for a rotisserie for the fuselage.
I doubt I'll be able to keep up with your Rock Fox progress but please keep posting pictures of your progress/challenges etc. and any more worthwhile tool mods!

Looking forward to seeing everything come together.
Kevin Olson
KitFox S7 STi

rv9ralph
11-15-2021, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the builders list Kevin. It is a fun process, although challenging at times.

please keep posting pictures of your progress/challenges etc. and any more worthwhile tool mods!

I do have some tool recommendations. For reaming, look for "threaded reamers", they have a 1/4-28 threaded end that will fit into most tools designed for threaded bits. I found mine at The Yard Store, they also have a Hex Drive 1/4-28 drive for the reamers. For tight fits for reaming I used this with the following from my torque driver: Hex to 1/4" drive... 1/4" drive flex extension... 1/4" socket... threaded reamer with hex drive. See picture.

Also, when it's Hysol time, I found using pastry piping bags to apply. Very controllable delivery and cost effective (100 bags for around $10 on Amazon)

More later... to quote someone else... "Back to Work!"
Ralph

Delta Whisky
11-15-2021, 06:49 PM
I'm just curious, seems everyone when they get a new kit takes inventory and takes all the parts out of the boxes and puts them on various shelves in the shop. I am lazy and believe in the KISS principle, so when I received my new kit I inventoried to make sure all parts were there, but then left them in the boxes they came in, which are all labeled Box C, Box D-1, etc. Just stored the original boxes in the shop in stacks not too high so they were easy to get into. When I needed a part to work on, I just looked on the inventory list where each part is listed along with the Box number it came in, went to that box and pulled out the part with a minimum of rummaging. Easy-peasy. No need to go to HF and buy a bunch of storage boxes/shelves/roll-around carts. Am I the only one to do it this way?

Jim - the short answer: no you aren't. I learned the hard way during my first build - leave the parts where you can find them. I followed the process you described and it was a big help. It is especially helpful when the parts aren't drawn or pictured in the manual or don't look like the drawing. As my dad used to say: "To each his own said the man that kissed the cow."

olsonCCR
11-15-2021, 07:39 PM
Great tips. Thanks Ralph!
Kevin

Welcome to the builders list Kevin. It is a fun process, although challenging at times.

I do have some tool recommendations. For reaming, look for "threaded reamers", they have a 1/4-28 threaded end that will fit into most tools designed for threaded bits. I found mine at The Yard Store, they also have a Hex Drive 1/4-28 drive for the reamers. For tight fits for reaming I used this with the following from my torque driver: Hex to 1/4" drive... 1/4" drive flex extension... 1/4" socket... threaded reamer with hex drive. See picture.

Also, when it's Hysol time, I found using pastry piping bags to apply. Very controllable delivery and cost effective (100 bags for around $10 on Amazon)

More later... to quote someone else... "Back to Work!"
Ralph

rv9ralph
11-16-2021, 09:17 PM
After careful measurement of the rib placement on the Horizontal Stabilizer and Elevator, ensuring they were lined up with each other it was time to Hysol them into place. Before that.... we sanded the ribs, and scuffed the surfaces. To apply the Hysol, I used pastry piping bags, we put masking tape to keep a clean area around the Lysol (not needed). After applying a nice bead, Victor smother the Hysol into a nice fillet.

As usual on the first mix, too much Hysol. A good use of left over Hysol is to use it to fill voids around welds.

Using piping bag to apply Hysol, Victor smooths Hysol in nice fillets.

Ralph

DMMeix
11-17-2021, 12:21 AM
Congrats, guys! I'm exicted to follow along. How long did you end up waiting from the order date to delivery?

alexM
11-17-2021, 08:58 AM
When I started out I was mixing up twice the amount of Hysol I needed (I did the same with epoxy varnish). I learned to have a list of other places I could use it up so it didn't go to waste, even if it was a project around the house that needed fixin'. You get better at judging the amount needed.

And the tape is always a good idea. One of those things you don't need until you do. Working as a team (and with some clearly demonstrated skills) it's probably less of an issue. But when you're working alone and get some unintended squeeze out you feel the pressure to continue to get the job done, but also to stop and clean up your mess. If it's a glob on some tape you can move on and not worry.

On the parts sorting discussion, if I had started with a new kit I would absolutely leave the parts kitted as they came. For those of us picking up older projects I had to go a different route. After the second time I halted my project to order some missing hardware (even just some AN3 bolts or washers), only to find I had what I needed in another bag I pulled EVERY rivet, bolt, nut, washer out of every bag and put them in organizing trays.

Looking forward to following your project.

taff
11-17-2021, 09:28 AM
After receiving my kit, I sorted and hung what I could on the wall.
It made searching a particular washer or split pin much easier. Anywhere I had spare wall space, I hung stuff.

VictorV
11-17-2021, 10:43 AM
Congrats, guys! I'm exicted to follow along. How long did you end up waiting from the order date to delivery?

Order was placed Dec 2020. Original scheduled delivery date was April 2022 but someone wanted to push their delivery date
out so KF offered the Sept 2021 slot to me and I said "Hell yes!".

DMMeix
11-18-2021, 12:14 AM
I thought a recalled a 2022 date when we last spoke. That definitely makes things get 'real' real fast!

Dean_aeroleds
11-29-2021, 03:25 PM
Have fun! One of these days I hope to be able to do a build...

Dean

rv9ralph
11-29-2021, 06:44 PM
Have fun! One of these days I hope to be able to do a build...

Dean

We are having fun. I need to post some updated pictures as we have progressed quite a bit further in the build than what I have posted so far.

Seeing as you are not too far away, send me a PM if you want to drop by sometime.

Ralph

rv9ralph
11-29-2021, 09:33 PM
Another joint work session. Shaped provided foam for tips of HS and Elevator, bonded the foam on after that set, then buttered on a coating of micro. After the micro sets, will shape and ad SuperFill to take to final shape. Below is the prices in picture. There were several replications of ... apply Super Fill, sand/shape, Super Fill

I like the results, easy to sand and shape and very little added weight.

Ralph

Not quite there but almost. Didn't get a good picture of final results.

Ralph

DesertFox4
04-15-2022, 06:43 AM
Ralph and Victor, hope you are both doing well.🤞 Haven’t seen a recent update on your Kitfox project.

VictorV
04-15-2022, 09:39 AM
Ralph and Victor, hope you are both doing well.🤞 Haven’t seen a recent update on your Kitfox project.
We're doing great. We're way behind on posting updates! We have finished all the preliminary work on the right wing and are starting on the
left wing. This, of course, has provided and endless stream of jokes from me since Ralph and I are on opposite political teams :) We'll leave it
a secret as to which team each of us plays for.

We had a unique method for adjusting the fit of the wingtip and we'll post more info on that later.

During installation of the right wing flaperons we encountered some resistance to movement after getting everything clecoed in place but we finally
realized that it was due to sag in the wing since it was only being supported on the ends. Turning it 90 degrees up solved the issue.

The left wing will have the magnetometer and pitot so it'll be a bit more work but it's going faster overall since we've already done it once.

We'll try to post more often!

Victor

DesertFox4
04-15-2022, 10:33 AM
Good progress and happy you are both well.

rv9ralph
04-15-2022, 07:23 PM
As Victor said, we are making progress but not posting much.

I thought I would share the process we used for fabricating the tips of the flaperons. Here are the pictures in sequence.

First, I bought a sheet of 1" thick extruded foam from the local hardware provider, I needed 2" thick so I cut a 2" wide strip and laminated to get a piece 12" long and 2" square. Note, I used a spray adhesive to keep from having a hard glue joint.
Next, I cut the airfoil to fit inside the flaperon and the tip profile. I had about a 1/2 inch of the foam inside the flaperon.

Next I used the disk sander to round it to a desirable shape.
I did the final shaping with sandpaper. The size at this stage is slightly under the finished product.
To do a 1 layer fiberglass shell, I put the tips on skewers in a board to hold them for this stage.
Next was laying on the fiberglass and letting it cure.
After it cured, I trimed off the excess glass. At this stage, the weight of one tip was .4 Oz.
To adhere the tip to the flaperon I used a slurry of epoxy and microballoons thickened to peanut butter consistency, this also filled the glass weave and brought it to the desired profile. I used 20 mil plumbers tape to protect the skin of the flaperon while I shaped the cured micro down to the final shape, the filled in any low areas with SuperFill.
The finish product set aside until final prep for paint.

Victor and I were very happy with the finished product, light and sturdy.

Ralph

Kitfox Pilot
04-16-2022, 10:31 AM
Looks like the tips turned out very nice. I enjoy watching your build.

rv9ralph
03-07-2024, 06:08 PM
I has been a long time since our last update. Since then we have finished everything we could do before cover, so ... we started on covering. I did a short video on our first surface cover. Here is a link to the video on my YouTube channel. I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/ycxu_cG0rto?si=QSOWDOei0ey_19SE