PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska S7SS Build

RJK_Omaha
10-06-2021, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone. Welcome to my Series 7 Super Sport builders log. I'm a first time builder residing in the Omaha, NE area who has been away from aviation for several decades and very excited to reengage. After consulting with several folks within this forum, I ordered my kit in August of 2020 and took delivery in July of this year. Along with the standard SS kit I included many of the most common options (including Quick Build wings, LLE, Speedster tail, etc.) The shop (basement) is ready and the kit has been inventoried so its time to begin. My goal is for first flight to occur no later than October 25, 2024.

I've chosen to create a build log so that this community can help point out build shortcomings, provide much desired help and support, and to keep me accountable to my schedule. There are very few active Kitfox builders here in Nebraska so I know this group will be invaluable in helping me solve problems and work through the uncertainties and frustrations to come.

Thank you for being part of my journey.

rv9ralph
10-06-2021, 08:55 PM
Congratulations and enjoy the build. Remember it is the journey not just the destination that makes life fun.

I am also just starting a build, SS7. Inventory complete construction to begin in days.

Ralph
KF3 Flying

Benbell4140
10-07-2021, 03:51 AM
Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efwd
10-07-2021, 05:33 AM
Welcome to the group Richard. Definetly one of the benchmark days when that truck shows up.
I too had decades (2.5) of no flying before I got my Kitfox. Your finish date is about exactly the number of weeks that I finished mine. Delivered March 12 2017 and flew March 31 2019. Had I not had periods of weeks on end without working on it I could have finished earlier. Enjoy the build.

Dave S
10-07-2021, 06:09 AM
Richard,

Congratulations on your project! There are likely more kitfoxers around than a person knows about in the beginning of their project. Once I moved my plane from the garage to the assigned airport for phase I, I discovered another builder and two flyers located at the airport - all S5s. One of the flyers, a long term Delta pilot with a lot of credentials, was kind enough to get me sufficient stick time in his S5 before my first flight to assure my insurance company would be exceedingly happy.

By having your workshop at your home, that will greatly help with your ability to do something each day since there is no trip involved to get to your project. That is a big deal in making consistent progress. Promise yourself to do something every day, even if it only counting rivets or bolts.

Had to chuckle about your basement comment because I had gone to great lengths to measure how the wings (not quick build) would fit coming out of the basement to ensure avoiding that classical home builder's conundrum concerning tearing the house apart to get the plane out! Yes - it did fit without dismantling the house leaving me to assume I didn't mess up too bad with my wing measurements in spite of the fact I had no completed wing at the time!

I think your proposed build schedule is entirely realistic and doable. Took me three years to get our S7 completed in spite of the fact that the old skystar company filed bankrupcy in mid delivery which left me with trying to figure out how to get and pay for the other half of my order - John and Deb Mcbean came to the rescue after they acquired the assets and it is good to know the company continues to be operated under competent leadership .

You will enjoy the journey and learn an incredible complement of what it takes to build, test and operate an airplane.

RJK_Omaha
10-07-2021, 11:34 AM
Ralph/Eddie/Ben/Dave...Thank you for the welcoming words. Had to laugh at Dave's comments about 'dismantling the house' (see below).

I've pulled my thoughts together on the basic principles I will employ during the build process. Based on everyone's experience...what am I missing?

Benbell4140
10-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Brings back memories. I built an RV-8 in my spare bedroom at our prior house and had to take a section of the wall down to roll the fuselage out. It made me wish I had neighbors like myself [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta Whisky
10-07-2021, 05:29 PM
Congrats on getting the process going. Your "Basic Principles" are right on target!!

motortommy
10-07-2021, 10:34 PM
#16 have fun!
:)

Geek
10-08-2021, 06:03 AM
#16 have fun!

Congrats on the build and welcome. Guess I would take this one and make it #2.

G

RJK_Omaha
10-08-2021, 03:04 PM
#16 have fun!
Missed the most obvious rule...great point!

DesertFox4
10-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Congrats Richard on your kit’s delivery. Lots of great builders here to assist when needed. Very generous community.

And Ralph, congrats also to you on your SS7 build. You kind of snuck that announcement in your post.😉

I am also just starting a build, SS7. Inventory complete construction to begin in days.

Ralph
KF3 Flying

Wishing you both happy new Kitfox building.😀👍

PapuaPilot
10-10-2021, 03:13 PM
And Ralph, congrats also to you on your SS7 build. You kind of snuck that announcement in your post.😉

Wishing you both happy new Kitfox building.😀👍

Congrats Richard and welcome!

Ralph, I can't wait to hear more about the SS7.