PDA

View Full Version : Feb. 2010 Kitfox of the Month Paul Zimmerman

DesertFox4
01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Kitfox N703KA – Texas Bound

Friday, Jan 15, 2010, I officially took ownership of N703KA, the S-LSA Kitfox that is soon to be called "Kick Ass" by my loving wife!

I struggled with the idea of finishing the Dragonfly I had started, versus buying a flying Kitfox Series 5, 6, or 7, or buying a kit. Having partially built a Dragonfly over a 15+ year period, I wasn't sold on the prospect of another project! I knew I wanted a Light Sport AC. I found a really nice looking Series 5 Tail Dragger, which was registered as a Light Sport, but its cruise speed was 85 to 90 MPH. Not knowing what was the cause of the slow cruise speed, I couldn't bring myself to buying it! There were a lot of owners who were trying to convince me to buy their planes, and said that even though their plane registered at 1550 lbs, it could flown as a light sport, if I just flew it within the 1320 weight limit. I checked with my local Designee and the FAA, and found that isn't true! After looking at several planes all that needed quite a bit of work, I finally made the decision that not only did I want a Light Sport, but I also wanted a Tri-Gear, one that I could convert to a tail dragger when I get a little more proficient. That immediately ruled out the Series 5! I found an extremely nice Series 7, that was flying, that could be converted, but by the time I called on it had been sold! Looking at the TeamKitfox Forum, the Series 7 is currently getting a new upgraded instrument panel. I looked from West coast to East coast looking at Series 5s & 7s, I never found a Series 6. Most of what I found were partially completed. I also found 3 planes, which had damage history, 2 of which sustained significant damage. After looking at a few partially completed kits, I realized that although when you build a Kitfox you are primarily assembling the plane, there are some good and there are definitely some bad builders and I had definitely found both.

I finally decided it was time to call up John & Debra McBean at Kitfox. I made arrangements to fly up two weeks before Christmas. December 13th I flew up to Idaho, on Southwest Airlines, to look at the Series 7 Super Sport. I was contemplating buying a Series 7 SS kit with quick build wings, pre-rigged, along with the head start program which gets you through the point of covering. That sounded a little more palatable to me. It would get me to the point of final assembly & paint. John and Debra were great. They gave me a tour of the fabrication and assembly areas, showed me their planes and I got to see some of the new things planned for the 2010 season. He offered a demo ride. However it was so foggy the first day you could not see across the runway. John said if I came back Friday he would be glad to get me a ride then. I told him I had a flight home scheduled Friday morning, and that Dorothy wanted me home. The next morning I went to Boise International to fly out at the crack of dawn. As the sun came up it was sunny and clear. I checked in at the gate and the plane was over booked due to the prior days fog. I asked if I could get on a Saturday flight. Southwest could get me on the next day and it would save me $60. I called Dorothy then went down and got a rental car and drove back to the Kitfox factory. As I got to Homedale, the fog started again. Another foggy day! However, later that day it lifted enough that John was able to give me a tree top flight. John's plane N102YB, cruises at 120, and flies GREAT! John showed me N703KA and man that is one nice Kitfox. I definitely liked the S-LSA . It definitely Kicked Ass. While there I also had the pleasure of meeting Steve Kellander, the TeamKitfox Administrator, who was visiting the factory. After talking with John and Steve I called Dorothy and I told her I finally got a flight in the Super Sport. I also told her about the S-LSA N703KA. While there, John diligently tried to get me to put down a deposit on a kit to reserve the last April build slot. John said that if I decided to purchase the S-LSA, he would move the deposit to that. I told him I needed to talk to the BOSS before I spent that kind of money. I flew home Saturday. I told Dorothy I wanted to buy the kit with pre-built wings, pre-rigged, and go through the builder assist program. She said she thought I was going to come home as the new owner of the S-LSA. We discussed it over the weekend. I rolled up the cost of the kits, builder assist, paint, engine, instruments, gauges, & my time, and I made the decision. I called John and said I wanted the S-LSA. Man, spending money for a tight wad like myself is HARD!

January 13th, I flew up to look at N703KA, to fly it, and to pay for it. Thursday was foggy. No flying that day. Friday morning the fog lifted and we got 1.5 hours of flying in and did several touch and goes at Caldwell. The winds started picking up. They were SE at 39 miles per hour. We flew back to Homedale and we closed the deal! I truly enjoyed flying the plane. On final you set your speed 65 – 70, trim the plane to reduce stick back pressure, and then use the throttle to make sure you have the altitude to make the runway. You literally fly the plane to the ground then a slight flare and your landing. When I first looked at N703KA, I was not sold on the AFS-3500 Glass Panel but the GPS, the audible alerts, the wind direction and speed, everything about the Glass Panel was awesome. In looking at the plane there are a lot of finishing touches that I would never thought of installing but they definitely add to the overall package. I couldn't have built this nice of a plane for the price and that's not taking into account the 1 ½ years of my labor.
Currently, Kitfox is building another S-LSA with the same paint scheme as N703KA only its BRIGHT YELLOW. I never thought I would like yellow but that is going to be one awesome looking airplane! ! Steve K. you WILL BE ENVIOUS of that one! In talking with John he has sold the new Yellow S-LSA to a local flying school, and he commented that the owner of the school had come in shortly after I committed to buy N703KA. I am really pleased I bought the first Kitfox S-LSA, before it went to a flight school. I feel I saved N703KA from a life of student abuse and hard landings. I am truly excited about getting "Kick Ass" home and I am looking forward to flying around the Great State of Texas!

Paul Z.

P.S. Thanks Dorothy for letting me buy N703KA and thanks John & Debra McBean, Jud Parker, and Mark Smith for building it! A special thanks to Steve Kellander for being a sounding board. I wonder what the Air Traffic Controller at McKinney Airport's going to say when I announce, “McKinney Tower this is KitFox seven zero three Kick Ass, five miles south east of the airport at 2500 feet, inbound for landing”?

DesertFox4
01-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Paul, Congrats to you and Dorothy. I hope you have many fun years in 703KA. It's a nice part of Kitfox history and couldn't have found a better home. Enjoy every flight. :)

Here's a couple more photos of her that wouldn't fit on the KOTM post.;)

SkyPirate
02-01-2010, 08:22 AM
just georgous Paul ,.. I know you will be the envy of Texas :)

Agfoxflyer
02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Congratulations Paul. All it needs now is an ATm on the Turtle Deck Skylight to make it perfect. By the way my brother and I borrowed from 703KA a few details for the paint scheme for our RV-9A that is currently in the paint shop. Saw 703KA at Osh and loved the paint.

Gig Em

Paul Z
02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
The ONLY way the plane could have been nicer is for it to have been Painted Maroon & White, versus Blue and White.
I like the idea of a Block ATM on the Turtle Deck. I would bet I could make that happen :rolleyes:.

Your RV - 9A is going to look Awesome, especially if you got the colors right!

Have you resolved your hanger issue?

Congratulations Paul. All it needs now is an ATm on the Turtle Deck Skylight to make it perfect. By the way my brother and I borrowed from 703KA a few details for the paint scheme for our RV-9A that is currently in the paint shop. Saw 703KA at Osh and loved the paint.

Gig Em

Agfoxflyer
02-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Paul, no the 9 will not have the right colors (maroon). My brother is paying for the paint job, so I guess he gets to pick the colors. We have a hanger in Calhoun. My Kitfox is coming home to tear down the engine. The 9 should be ready this week and go in the hanger the Kitfox is in.

Paul Z
02-02-2010, 09:49 PM
John McBean and I did a little less than 2 hours of flight Sunday with 10 or so Touch and Goes, and one “Emergency Landing”. I had some good landings and some poor landings, but all in all, I felt pretty good. Dorothy and I dropped him off at the Hotel Sunday afternoon, and John departed Monday. John all I can say to you and Debra is THANKS!!!!!!!

Juan who works for the FBO was impressed that Dorothy jumped in the plane and went flying. He commented, I was going to have to fight her to get to fly the plane. I didn't have the heart to tell him she has no flight experience, and that John McBean was giving her a ride. He always rides shot gun!

Monday, was ugly so I didn’t get to do anything. However, today was the big day. I went in to work and it was overcast. However, later in the morning, it cleared up, it was cool, and with low winds. I decided to take a LONG lunch. I left work at 11:00am in McKinney, and drove down to the Mesquite International Airport, I removed the cabin cover, I pulled 703KA (Kick Ass) out of the Hanger, locked the door, did a pre-flight, and then taxied down to put some fuel in the tanks. By the time I got all of that done it was already 1:00 PM (Note 45 minute drive from McKinney to Mesquite on a good day!). I have a work related meeting every Tuesday at 4:00, and I knew I had at least a 1 hour drive back to McKinney. I finally decided I had enough time to fly the patch and at least get on TAKE OFF and LANDING Solo in N703KA. I was surprised how much traffic there was at 1:00, on a Tuesday afternoon. I taxied from the Fueling area, all of the way to the South end, Runway 35. Man that is a LONG Runway. I announce my intentions, and put the petal to the metal, and was airborne shortly. Man, does that thing climb SOLO. I climbed to pattern Altitude, Cross Wind, Down Wind, Base, and Final to touch down. I actually touched down on the Numbers, and made the first turn off. I was surprised how hard it was to get the plane out of the air and back on the runway, with only one fat guy on board (sorry John!)! I didn’t make the prettiest landing, but it was Solo, in my new Kitfox! After landing I taxied back to my hanger, and put Kick Ass home. Pushing a Tri Gear into a hanger, is definately a learning experience, back and forth, back and forth. . . . . ! I drove back to work and got there about 2:40 PM. Hummm that was a long lunch! :D

Now that I got that out of the way, we can start flying!

Paul Zimmermann

Slyfox
02-03-2010, 08:10 AM
So tell us Why the Emergency landing? Now that is one nice bird. Ok, tell us, how did it make it to your home? Sound like you will be taking some lunch breaks up in the air. Have fun.

Paul Z
02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Humm, "Why the Emergency Landing?" Well after doing several touch and goes, John reached over chopped the throttle, and said "You had an engine out, now what do you do?" Short Downwind, turn base, turn final, one notch of flaps then full flaps, flare, and then landed on the VERY end of the runway 17. Observation, I should have immediately turned base, with the 6000 foot runway, I had plenty to land on!

When I went up before Christmas, and then in January, both times it was foggy, I couldn’t have flown it without an Instrument rating. Being a low time pilot, and being from South Texas, I did not feel comfortable flying from Homedale through the Rockies to the Prairies of North Texas. I have never flow in or around the Mountains, and I was concerned that if I had to go down I would never survive the COLD. Also, with as quickly as the weather changes this time of year in Idaho, John offered to fly it to Dallas, when there was a break in the weather. John had another plane that needed delivered to Florida, so John and Jud flew the planes south from Homedale to Albuquerque, Albuquerque to Mesquite, and Jud continued to Florida. Listening to John and Jud description of the trip, it was too bad the weather didn’t cooperate.

So tell us Why the Emergency landing? Now that is one nice bird. Ok, tell us, how did it make it to your home? Sound like you will be taking some lunch breaks up in the air. Have fun.

Paul Z
02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
David,

I like the paint scheme for the RV. You can never make Red, White and Blue look bad!

Paul Z

Paul, no the 9 will not have the right colors (maroon). My brother is paying for the paint job, so I guess he gets to pick the colors. We have a hanger in Calhoun. My Kitfox is coming home to tear down the engine. The 9 should be ready this week and go in the hanger the Kitfox is in.

Slyfox
02-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I remember when my instructor 5 years ago did the same with me in the kitfox. He pulled the throttle and said dead stick, I shot down to a clearing in the trees except when he said go around I continued going through the trees, power pack in a little and had a bunch of fun, he didn't, he kept saying go around, I said I am, around this tree and that tree. I finally pulled out of it, but the poor ol boy was white from fear. I never forgot that one.

jdmcbean
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Paul,
Great to hear you're out flying.. keep at it and Congrats !! Thanks for the hospitality from both you and Dorothy.

DesertFox4
02-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Three more photos of Paul and Dorothy's Kitfox courtesy of Kitfox Aircraft.:)
Paul, happy to hear you are getting some stick time in 703KA. Sounds like John gave you good instruction. That first solo take off was fun wasn't it?:D

Paul Z
02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
John is an exceptional instructor! I kept looking back trying to figure out who was pushing me up! That is one heck of an elevator ride!:eek: Definately an EYE Opener!

Sounds like John gave you good instruction. That first solo take off was fun wasn't it?:D

DesertFox4
02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Paul, one other thing I'd like to mention is your decision to have John deliver the Kitfox to you. Way to go. You may be a lower time pilot but you are already making "good pilot" decisions. Your decision process will serve you well all your flying days.:)

Being a low time pilot, and being from South Texas, I did not feel comfortable flying from Homedale through the Rockies to the Prairies of North Texas. I have never flow in or around the Mountains, and I was concerned that if I had to go down I would never survive the COLD. Also, with as quickly as the weather changes this time of year in Idaho, John offered to fly it to Dallas, when there was a break in the weather.

Bryan
02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Paul congrats on your purchase. "Kick Ass" is a beautiful aircraft and I know it is going to provide you with many years of great flying. I know I for one would love to have this as my daily flyer. Keep us all posted on your travels and make sure you plan ahead and bring this to our Kitfox gathering here in Kansas next fall.

Paul Z
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Man I am sure glad I went flying Tuesday! Today it is rainy, overcast, and cold (43°) for a boy from South Texas! When John and Jud got here they were complaining that it was cold. They commented that they had left Idaho, and were expecting warmer weather. North Texas has been suffering with cold weather and HUMIDITY from all the rain.

Paul Z
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Raining again today!

Paul Z
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Today while sitting in the Doctors office it started off cloudy. By the time we left, it was a beautiful Sunny day. Too bad the Surgeon cut a cancerous growth out the back of my head to remove a skin cancer. I would be flying other than the head ache, and pain. As soon as I am fealing better, I will report on the performance of 703KA. I have already planned 3 trips, so I should have some flight time to report on!

DesertFox4
02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Yikes!:eek: Hope you feel better quick Paul.

Today while sitting in the Doctors office it started off cloudy. By the time we left, it was a beautiful Sunny daySounds like one of Murphy's laws but not sure which number.

Paul Z
02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Well I went out flying today. I am beginning to think, when I bought the Kitfox, John also sold me Low Ceilings & Foggy Weather along with the plane. Tonight 35 Deg with rain tomorrow H 37, L 32 rain & snow. Right now it is 36 and cloudy, visibility is pretty good, just a low ceiling. Last Saturday, the weather was beautiful, but I wasn’t up to flying after having had a skin cancer removed on Friday. I decided to pull the duct tape off of the oil cooler, that John had put on for the Idaho cold weather, I figured I wouldn't need it since our Texas weather was moving from Winter to Summer. Today, I was having a rough day at work, so I figured if I was going to fly this week, I needed to do it today. Sounded like a good excuse to take some time off. I pulled Kick Ass out of the hanger, I taxied North down a 6000 foot taxi way for take off on 17, the Oil Temp was about 89 degrees. So, I taxied south back to the hanger, then back North down the 6000 foot taxi way, then I taxied over to the tie down area, then to the fueling area, and finally the oil temp got to 110, after about 20 minutes of taxiing, it finally got to 119, as I was pulling out onto the runway, the temp hit 120. I pushed the throttle in, and off into a Low Ceiling, and as quick as this plane climbs solo that doesn’t take long. (John, you need to make a point of selling a certificate of conformance for some clear skies with the SLSAs.) They are a kick in the pants to fly, but I can never seem to get much above 1500 to 2000 feet above the ground before I am flirting with the clouds. Today I actually got to about 1800 feet, now that is HIGH FLYING! I stayed in the pattern and did 1 touch and go, then I headed southeast from the airport, and just cruised at about 1800 feet. (This Idaho weather that John drug down stinks.) I pulled it back to about 5300 RPM, and continued south. I was cruising at about a 115 MPH. As I was flying around I noticed the Oil Temp was 98 degrees. It was getting dark so I decided to turn around and head back to Mesquite, nice landing. Taxied back to the hanger, and put her away. I think I need to look into a Oil Cooler Shutter, fancy Duct Tape!!

Maurice
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Your other choice is an oil thermostat from John or Lockwood.

DesertFox4
02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
John also sold me Low Ceilings & Foggy Weather along with the plane.Paul , you should have marked the option box on the purchase agreement next to
"Arizona Winter Weather Package". It was well worth the extra charge.;)

Paul Z
02-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Where was the "Arizona Winter Package", I missed that! I am positive it would have been worth the money. I figured since it is time to go from Winter to Summer, all of the Poor weather was gone. Must be Global Warming! I better hush or they will want to Tax me for good weather!:(

Paul Z
02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Well the weather forcast was for a little dusting of snow. I looked out the window here in McKinney Texas, and I would estimate 3 inches of build up. Global Warming in Action!

SkyPirate
02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Keep that white stuff down there Paul~!!! seems what ever hits Texas ..soon comes here to Missouri :eek:

Chase

Paul Z
02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
This is getting out of hand 4 inches in my yard in Garland! It snowed all day long, being right at 32 all day, it didn't start sticking to the roads until latter this afternoon.

Paul Z
02-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Now this is some interesting weather for Texas according to the local news DFW got 12.5 inches of this white stuff! So much for flying today! It looks like I am going to have a fun weekend trimming tree branches that fell out of the tree overnight from the snow. First count the big oak has 13 branches either broken, on the ground or on our roof.

John McBean, Steve mentioned an Arizona Clear Skies option, you should have pointed that one out! The is definately no clears skies or runways for flying out of Mesquite today! :mad:

Slyfox
02-12-2010, 07:58 AM
sounds like you either need to learn to fly in the snow or ... get the wax out and wax the plane.:D

Paul Z
02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Just a little snow, and John and Jud were complaining how cold it was when they were delivering N703KA! I guess the Ground Hog was correct, 6 more weeks of Global Warming before Summer hits!

Slyfox
02-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I snapped this picture out the door of my shop. Shucks I guess I'm just going to have to go fly again today.:p

http://home.comcast.net/~steveallbee/outside.JPG

SkyPirate
02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Paul ..just be glad they don't spell Texas N-e-w J-e-r-s-e-y ha ha ha they got 38.5 inches and the storm that just hit you is headed their way now .. and I'm thankful it missed me totally ..not one snow flake:)

but the last one got me as seen below

Chase

SkyPirate
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Steve ..looks like you have a runway right in front of your shop :) I'll bet you could land the kitty there :)

Paul Z
02-12-2010, 10:14 AM
The just did the Fox Weather report, and they said this is the first time in US History that all 50 States have snow on the ground on the same day!

Slyfox
02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Steve ..looks like you have a runway right in front of your shop :) I'll bet you could land the kitty there :)

You look at my picture and look at the coffee house, just above the green roof is the hill for the airport. AT that airport is the FSDO, I think they would be all over me for trying that stunt. Not this kid.

Paul Z
02-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Steve you could call it an emergency landing.

SkyPirate
02-12-2010, 01:14 PM
"You look at my picture and look at the coffee house, just above the green roof is the hill for the airport. AT that airport is the FSDO, I think they would be all over me for trying that stunt. Not this kid."

where's your sense of adventure Steve ha ha ,..ya know you wanna do it :)

Slyfox
02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
still a big fat no.

Slyfox
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Tell you what, I'll pull out one of my RC planes and buzz the coffee house.

Agfoxflyer
02-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I was complaining about the inch we have on the ground today in Georgia, and my daughter sent a picture of her condo parking lot in Columbia, MD. Over 60 inches on the ground now. Her car is one of the humps in the snow.

SkyPirate
02-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Tripple dawg dare ya Steve ,..and wow ,..that's just too much snow Dave,..been there ..done that ,..my last storm in NH was 53 inches ..I moved that week to NC ha ha

All that snow sure does hinder any kitfox flying for sure. even with ski's,..especially if it's a powder snow.

Chase

Slyfox
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Now, now, take and look at the picture again, there is power lines that go up over 100ft and they are lined all the way down to 20ft off. In other words a brick wall of wires. Don't think so.

Paul Z
02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Steve,

I am sure the power lines are no problem for a seasoned Kitfox pilot like yourself!

Paul Z
02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
David

It looks like your daughter might have some trouble getting out of her house, and I'm wineing about a little snow here in Tejas!

Slyfox
02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Steve,

I am sure the power lines are no problem for a seasoned Kitfox pilot like yourself!

Oh yes they are.

Paul Z
02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Well it is about time the weather cleared enough the last two days that I finally got to get some flying time. Wednesday (2/17/10), I got to the Mesquite airport and did a couple of touch and goes in. Today (2/18/10), I took a short cross country about 50 miles to Van Zandt, Canton and back to Mesquite. I was at 80% power, cruising at approximately 110. It was a nice flight there were a lot of frustrated pilots in the air, I was surprised how busy Mesquite Airport was. I made an EXCELLENT landing on my return to Mesquite. I definitely like the AFS 3500 Moving Map GPS! You dial in the airport ID, select go to, and away we go. Then I put away the plane and drove to work. My next excursion is from Mesquite to Norman OK.

DesertFox4
02-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Paul, congrats. on the better weather. Get practiced up. The DFS fly in is rapidly approaching. That'll give your AFS 3500 a little work to do getting you safely around Phoenix's airspace the end of March.;) If it's ok I'll hang on to your two KOTM hats and give them to you in person at the fly in. Little extra incentive.:) Don't forget to email Cara and reserve a prime lodging spot for you and Dorothy. I can almost guarantee no snow during the fly in.:rolleyes:

Paul Z
02-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I called Cara and got a room! I am in the process of updating the software on the AFS 3500, I need a 2 Gig SD Card, went an purchased one. They say to format it using FAT32 ? I put it in the computer but it says it can't format the disk. I guess I get tio talk to the IT Tech geeks tomorrow.

Paul, congrats. on the better weather. Get practiced up. The DFS fly in is rapidly approaching. That'll give your AFS 3500 a little work to do getting you safely around Phoenix's airspace the end of March.;) If it's ok I'll hang on to your two KOTM hats and give them to you in person at the fly in. Little extra incentive.:) Don't forget to email Cara and reserve a prime lodging spot for you and Dorothy. I can almost guarantee no snow during the fly in.:rolleyes:

SaintAero
02-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey Paul,
Congrats on the Kitfox...Nice bird.
Bring it over to Pecan Plantation some time and visit for a while.
Regards, Don Saint

Paul Z
02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Hello Don

I was down in your neck of the woods last weekend. I was planning on calling to get clearance to fly in. I purchased a Zaon XRX PCAS, it will hook up directly to the AFS3500 and show traffic on the GPS. I need to figure out what I need to do to hook it up.

Pilot4Life
02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
SaintAero,
I was down your way about 2 1/2 years ago. Played a couple rounds at the Country Club after a Celebrity Invite at Cimarron Hills in Georgetown. Perhaps I'll get a chance to play there again. Yeah right, fat chance! A group of us Soldiers were the Celebrity Invitees at Cimarron Hills and Mr & Mrs Chapman had won the bid on a golf package at the live auction "Ice-breaker Social" the night prior, which included Pecan Plantation and Sweetwater in Sugarland to name a few places. Their son was an SF Soldier who died in Afghanistan during OEF. They were kind enough to give the Golf Package to us at the end of the tournament. It was a chance of a lifetime that we'll not soon forget.

Anyhow, I digress. Great area to fly in down there. Paul, you should definately take some time to go visit that area. I'm sure your new baby would love to make the journey. Congrats on the KFOM win!!! Well deserved.

Paul Z
02-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I just wanted to say. I went to fly today, gust were a little high for a direct cross wind, so I decided to load the Update on my Advanced Flight 3500. I was extremely easy. Put the SD Card in powered it up and waited. I loaded flawlessly. Put in the updated maps and was ready to go in about 10 minutes. Man I wish my Home Computer were that easy to use! If you are thinking about a glass panel look at the AFS3500, it is really nice! I am not trying to be an advertisment for them but . . . "Man I wish my Home Computer were that easy to use!"

DesertFox4
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Paul,
a great pair of videos highlighting your aircraft which you may have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0q50KXsdDg&feature=relatded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0q50KXsdDg&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ee2MhDVso&feature=related

DesertFox4
03-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Paul, how about these nice photos of your Kitfox courtesy of John and Deb McBean. :)

Paul Z
03-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Steve

I had some of those pictures, but I had a computer glitch and which caused me to loose the photos.

DanB
03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Steve

I had some of those pictures, but I had a computer glitch and which caused me to loose the photos.

I just hate it when that happens. You are a lucky guy Paul...awesome looking plane!

DesertFox4
03-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Paul, I just emailed the 3 photos to you from John and Deb in full size.

Paul Z
03-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I would say I have been blessed, with a wife that was understanding enough to allow me to purchase the plane. I know my brothers' wives would have said!

I just hate it when that happens. You are a lucky guy Paul...awesome looking plane!

Paul Z
04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Well, I have finally go a chance to get quite a bit of flying in. I flew from Mesquite International, to Terrell, to Mineolla, to Gladewater, and on to Marshall, and then reversed course back to Mesquite. The plane flew flawlessly. I forgot how thick the Pine Trees get as you get to the East Side of Texas. I've got another 10 hours on the plane, which puts me up to 20+ hours since the middle of February.

Currently the only issues, I have a slight leak in the Brake line for the right wheel, where the brake line goes from the bottom of the fuselage into the Grove gear. It leaks very little. I plan on repairing it at the next oil change. The other issue is the Advance Flight System stall warning and AOA do not work. I am going to have to see about recalibrating it.

Paul Z
07-11-2010, 10:55 AM
It is tear able to hear about Don Saints off field landing. Par 3's can be notorious for hazards, sand traps, small lakes, trees, and mounds. With the help of God and excellent piloting skills he was able to walk away!

I have been feeling under the weather for the last month. On the days I have felt up to flying the weather has been bad, on the days the weather has been good, I was feeling bad. I am at home, taking it easy after surgery. I hate doctors!

Hopefully it will be nice next weekend.

I doubt I will get to make Oshkosh.

DesertFox4
07-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Paul , sorry you've been below the scud level as far as your health lately. :(Hopefully blue skies will return quickly. Take care and speedy recovery. Hope to see you soon.

Paul Z
07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
We have had blue sky but winds from he'll! Then the huricain in the Gulf into Mexico brought rain every time I felt up to flying! It is sad to hear about Don Saint's off field landing.

Agfoxflyer
07-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Paul, hope my fellow Aggie gets back to 100% and a lot of flying. If you ever wonder over to Georgia, I need a Kitfox ride! Having withdrawal pains!

SkySteve
07-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey Paul,
Look whose "Kick Ass" bird is on the cover of the July 6,2010 General Aviation News!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/KitfoxSteve/2713d6be.jpg

Paul Z
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Can I buy the copy of General Aviation from you? It is one sweet airplane.

I hope to do some flying this weekend. I have been recovering from out patient surgery. Hopefully I feel up to flying this weekend!

Paul Zimm

SkySteve
07-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Can't buy it, but I'll gladly give it to you. Where do I send it?

enyaw
07-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Can I buy the copy of General Aviation from you? It is one sweet airplane.

I hope to do some flying this weekend. I have been recovering from out patient surgery. Hopefully I feel up to flying this weekend!

Paul Zimm

Try checking out http://issuu.com/flyermedia/docs/20100706/1
Article is on page 11.

jdmcbean
07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Can I buy the copy of General Aviation from you?
Paul Zimm

Paul,
We will have many at Oshkosh if you make it up.. If not we can send one as well. Fact is we could send you several...

SkySteve
08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Paul,
What prop do you have and do you still like it?

Paul Z
08-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Steve

I got it in the Mail Thanks for Sending it! I will be posting a few Photo's flying around Garland/DFW. Man was it an Ozone alert day!

Paul Z

Hey Paul,
Look whose "Kick Ass" bird is on the cover of the July 6,2010 General Aviation News!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/KitfoxSteve/2713d6be.jpg

Paul Z
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Here a a couple of Photos flying from KHQZ Mesquite Texas. The picture of the pond near my house. It is definately an Ozone Alert Day, my brother told me it was 108 degree's at his house in Anna Texas. Am I living in Arizona?

Paul Z
09-26-2014, 07:21 AM
703KA after a little factory tweak, a new pair of tennis shoes for her, 8.5 smoothies, and the nose wheel disappeared. Man Kitfox Factory does awesome work! Now I can terrorize some dirt and strips, and not be worried about the nose wheel.

I'll be doing some more training with Stick & Rudder's Preston Riley before I venture out on my own. I hope I do better than I did yesterday in some stiff and variable cross winds. I've got to keep thinking slow her down, slow down, 70 mph on base, 65 down to 60 on final, a little power to get over the fence, slow down, chop the throttle, 60 mph over the numbers, flair, stick back, stick back, hold that damned stick back, she's not a tricycle gear any more.

cubtractor
09-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Wow! That looks great as a taildragger Paul. Should be lots of fun.

DesertFox4
09-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Looks great Paul. Ready for more vigorous adventures. Soak up all the knowledge you can from Preston and Stick & Rudder. ;)

SkySteve
09-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Another great example of the versatility of the Kitfox. You can have it BOTH ways.

Pilot4Life
09-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Looks awesome Paul! Have fun with S&R!

Paul Z
09-26-2014, 02:24 PM
She sees the light, parked in front of the hanger in Homedale.

Paul Z
09-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Parked at KBOI

jdmcbean
09-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Not to Hijack Pauls thread.. but thought he would like to see these...

Flexibility of the Kitfox! Have fun and be safe Paul!

DesertFox4
09-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Fit for a magazine cover. Again. ;)

That's one beautiful aircraft you built for Mr Zimmerman John. :)

Paul Z
09-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Now to see how many times I can bounce it down the runway before I stick the landing. I sure hope Preston at S&R is a patient instructor.

Paul Z
09-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Ok some mental practice this morning.

I've got to keep thinking
slow her down, slow down, 70 mph on downwind, 70 mph on downwind
65 on base, 65
65 on final, 65
60 on the fence, a little power to get over the fence, slow down, slow down
chop the throttle, 60 - 55 mph over the numbers,
Don't flair too soon, don't flair, look down the runway get the right sight picture
Start the flair, flair, flair, flair, stick back, stick back, HOLD THE DAMNED STICK BACK, HOLD THE DAMNED STICK BACK!

She's not a tricycle gear any more, your landing a tail Dragger now.

I can see Preston face now :eek:, with him yelling "We're gonna die." :eek:

SkySteve
09-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Paul,
I probably shouldn't even respond as I am not qualified to provide any instruction to anyone about anything, but I do a lot more off airport landing than I do landing on pavement. I see A LOT of guys landing WAY TOO FAST for short and unimproved strips. Which means, they are landing way to fast, period. Why? It is my opinion that on final (long or short) most pilots use the throttle to control speed, and the stick to control attitude and altitude. If you watch or talk with a good bush pilot, they will tell you to do just the opposite. On final (long or short) use your stick to control speed. Too fast, pull the stick back to slow down. Too slow, push the stick forward or relax the rearward pressure to increase speed. Then, use the throttle to adjust your rate of descent, or glide slope. Too high, pull back on the throttle. Too low, push forward on the throttle. This system is opposite from all your other phases of flying. If you use this method, and do it right, your nose will be all the way up and your stick will be all the way back at touchdown. Your throttle will be all the way closed (back). And, most importantly, your plane will be all done flying. That translates into a nice soft landing with a very short roll out. I fly a nose dragger and the nosewheel never touches the ground until I'm almost stopped. The nosewheel may be on the ground for maybe 50 feet, then I'm stopped. This method, when learned well, will allow you to land slow, hit your predetermined mark almost every time, and most importantly you will be in control of your plane all the way to the ground. I learned this method from guys that fly back county all the time and it works. Remember, this advise is worth every penny you paid for it.

Paul Z
09-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Steve,
My first concern is just getting my speed down. I land way tooooooo damned fast, very bad habit. What is your airport I.D., I'm probably coming through that way on my way home. No guarantees considering weather seem to dictate route.

Paul

SkySteve
09-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Paul,
I hangar in Ogden, UT (KOGD), class D. If you want a dirt strip, just ask the tower for 21Dirt. Line up on 21, about half way down the runway side slip to the left (east side) and you've got 1,600 feet of packed dirt/gravel (so you can land 4 times, or so). Come on by and we'll do a little quick flying together. Need a place to stay the night? You're welcome to stay at my place. No time? How about a quick lunch at the airport Auger Inn. Can't go wrong there. I'll even buy. Need fuel? Ogden has that too. Two old guys flying Kitfoxes, couldn't get any better than that! 801-seven niner one-four seven 7 seven.

Paul Z
09-27-2014, 07:06 PM
We will definately consider going that way. It all depends on weather. I have two flight plans layed out. If I come that way, I'll definately take you up on a lunch, and maybe the bunk. I'll send you a PM when I know more.

I did about 3 hours and 15 or so take off & landings. My first wheel landing was down right UGLY. I'll need a few more hours and a few more take offs & landings. Full stall landings were getting pretty good. I really like the 8.5 smoothies, the plane taxies well, and the really are forgiving on landings. I usually fly numbers, Preston flys the picture in the windscreen. I really had a good time flying today, I got over my case of nerves, and things went much better. We flew down the river near Homedale. I really like the new variable speed trim, fly it hands off on a smooth day. All in all I am really pleased with the conversion. I think I picked up a little on the cruise speed. All in all a great day.

Av8r3400
09-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Okay, Paul. I expect to see you fly into the ultralight field next year for Oshkosh. Taildraggers don't need that long paved runway…

You've got a year to get your act together. So-- Get on it, man. :cool:

Paul Z
09-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Okay, Paul. I expect to see you fly into the ultralight field next year for Oshkosh. Taildraggers don't need that long paved runway…

You've got a year to get your act together. So-- Get on it, man. :cool:

I concur with the first paragraph. However the second is going to be tough. Get my act together will take a lot more than a year! Oh, Wait are you referring to mastering a tail wheel, hopefully that will be achievable. But me getting my act together I don't think so!:p

Av8r3400
09-28-2014, 12:07 PM
http://files.backyardchickens.com/img/smilies/highfive.gif

Right on, Paul! I'll save a spot for ya.

Paul Z
10-12-2014, 05:12 PM
John posted this photo on his Facebook Page. I really liked the photo, she looks nice. I just finished checking all of the Torques on the Gear per John's instructions. Hopefully the weather is conducive to some flying Tuesday or Wednesday. Landing gear torques are good, I got my oil change done, the Rotax float issue doesn't apply to my engine, I'm read to go do some Touch & Go and hit a few of the grass strips in the area.

SkySteve
10-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Go, Paul, go!;)

Paul Z
06-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Well I had a problem with my AF-3500 EFIS Panel, I had my AHRS loose the controller CCA to the Magnetometer. I contacted Advanced Flight about repair, and due to the cost of repair versus the discount they offered as trade in I decided for the difference in cost to upgrade to an AF-5600.

Here are some of the installation photo’s. Now that I am a Certified LSR-M it was an entertaining project. The AF-5600 was just a little larger than the AF-3500. John McBean cut me a template, to assure it will fit, and I must admit he was correct it will fit, but man it was a tight fit. I got everything communicating, and the GPS communicating.

I really like some of the new options on the AF-5600, along with a larger Font on the Engine Instrument. I can read them now. I can do a flight plan on my iPad on Fore Flight, and when I get to the airport it can be sent wireless to the AF-5600. It also has all of the VFR Sectional Charts.

It was either raining or hot most of the days I worked on it. Now we have a Tropical Depression wait for the Tropical Depression Bill needs to blow thru before I get to go test fly it. :D I can’t wait to go fly it!