PDA

View Full Version : Across Europe for the LAA Rally

Auster
09-14-2021, 12:39 AM
This was a 6 day Kitfox trip from my home base near Vienna to the UK's LAA Rally at Sywell Northampton. The basic stats were:

Total distance 1,731 nm or 3,205 km. Total flight time was 20.35 hours and average ground speed 85 kts. Normal cruise TAS is 88 kts. Average fuel consumption 16.5 ltrs/hour.

The route there was: Stockerau - Erbach - Troyes (overnight) - Lashenden in Kent for customs, then Sywell.

Return route was: Sywell - Calais for customs - Troyes (overnight) - Tannheim (overnight due to delays getting approval to land at Stockerau due to a TRA) - Krems - Stockerau.

It was a great rally with 400 a/c on the Saturday alone. As usual the flying was easy and the bureaucracy bloody awful. On one leg across France there were 9 frequency changes and almost as many transponder code changes, however it was a very satisfying trip.

The Danube does some wonderful loops near the German border.

Definitely not a mushroom cloud over the cooling tower of this Bavarian atomic power station. An excellent indication of the lack of wind.

Crossing the Rhine

The weather for the Channel crossing was marginal. At Lashenden in Kent the instruction was "park behind the Spitfire." There were two Spits and a Harvard operating.

Crossing the Thames at Gravesend - city of London to port and the estuary to starboard.

The Lancair parked next to me at the rally also flew from Austria. His cruise speed is more than double mine so a formation flight was out of the question.:)

The Rally is probably the largest in Europe with a fantastic variety of aircraft, great organisation and aviator camaraderie.

DesertFox4
09-14-2021, 08:24 AM
Another great trip Auster. 👍😎

Eric Page
09-14-2021, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the report and photos. Wish I could have been there too! Surprised to see the “Beautiful Blue Danube” looking so muddy.