PDA

View Full Version : Garmin OAT location

109JB
09-05-2021, 06:51 AM
Decided to add the OAT probe to the Garmin G5X installation in my Kitfox project and am wondering where others have mounted the probe. The GAD13 interface box will be behind the seat but the probe lead is 12 ft long so could still go just about anywhere. Have some ideas but wondering what others have done.

Delta Whisky
09-05-2021, 08:56 AM
John - I put mine in the wing to fuselage closeout. Wasn't straight forward due to clearance challenges when the door is open but very possible NTL. Right or wrong, my thought process - that location is in the shade, as far as possible from reflective blacktop, easy to get to if replacement is ever needed, protected from influence by exhaust gases, and wire routing was a non-issue.

Geek
09-05-2021, 04:58 PM
.........The GAD13 interface box will be behind the seat but the probe lead is 12 ft long so could still go just about anywhere. .......

When I was looking at where to mount my OAT I found a note on the drawing on page 229 of the G3x manual that says you can lengthen the cable for the
OAT up to 25'. I am putting mine out on the wing next to the pitot tube. The drawing is the only place I found that info and it certainly improves your options of where to put it.

Gary

Shadowrider
09-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Yes, I lengthened mine and put it in the pilot mounting plate. No regrets and works great, and always in the shade and clean air.

efwd
09-06-2021, 04:38 PM
As I recall it, Garmin discouraged lengthening (it's obvious it works) but I didn't know that then. I ran out of length near the left triangle window. I put it in that window at the top leading edge, behind the pilots ear. Hope thats clear. I know, odd location. Even I thought that but honestly, I never bump it, it rarely draws my eye. It's under the wings shade, and its well above my exhaust. I have no regrets.

Geek
09-06-2021, 05:22 PM
Yeah I too seemed to recall that about not lengthening until I read that note on the drawing. Funny that it's the only place I've seen it and now can't seem to find anything that says you can't lengthen. Would be great if Garmin put that in the verbiage about the OAT eh?

G

109JB
09-07-2021, 05:09 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll put it close to how Eddie did his.

Classix120
09-29-2021, 10:44 PM
Yes, I lengthened mine and put it in the pilot mounting plate. No regrets and works great, and always in the shade and clean air.
This is what I was thinking but have 2 questions:
1) did you route it out the the wing tip and then back to through the spar (I’m guessing that’s over the 25’ limit)
2) what did you do about grounding if you mounted it the wood pitot kitfox plate?
Thanks

Shadowrider
09-30-2021, 07:28 PM
Yes I ran it out to the wing tip and down the spar and into the aircraft form there. It is long but I have had no issues with it reading correctly. Just used mil spec wiring and made sure to connect shielding. All grounds terminate at the ground bus bar on the fuselage.