PDA

View Full Version : AHRS MGL sensor mounting location

Jerrytex
09-02-2021, 01:29 PM
Anyone use an MGL EFIS (or any brand) that has had to mount the AHRS? Looking for ideas where to mount. I am putting the Magnometer in the wingtip, but I am having a hard time finding a suitable location for the AHRS box. It's the SP-4 so it's small. Instructions say to keep away from vibrations, Temperature variations, and as close to center of rotation as possible. That kind of rules out behind the panel so I was thinking under the seat?

I did a search but didn't really come up with any decent locations.

alexM
09-03-2021, 12:47 PM
My MGL EFIS displays have the AHRS built in so I'm not much help there. I would consider the under side of the baggage floor if I did have to do it.

I'm curious what your magnetometer installation will be like. I'm about to declare victory with mine:
The 6-32 nylon screws are just locating studs to keep it in position. I'll retain it in place with something like 3M Dual-lock or even just a zip tie. Access through the end of the wing will be pretty easy.

Jerrytex
09-03-2021, 04:32 PM
Thanks Alex, I had the same thought about the baggage area/floor. Everything I read said that vibrations and temp variations would screw up the readings so behind the panel with the heater core and being so close to the engine was a deal breaker for putting it there. I ended up building a small shelf at the front of the baggage area. I think it will work good since it's with in an inch of the center of rotation.

I am going to do something like what you did by putting the magnometer in the wingtip. Probably just used plywood, but I must say, the carbon fiber looks awesome.