PDA

View Full Version : Noise free USB

109JB
09-01-2021, 12:16 PM
On my Sonerai I use a Sporty's PJ2 handheld for my only com radio. Works great on battery, but this unit uses a USB-C charge cord for ship power. My old radio used a cigarette lighter cord to supply 12V directly to the radio. I simply stuck one of my cigarette lighter USB chargers into the cigarette lighter socket and it charges the PJ2 fine but I get a lot of noise through the radio. Like I said the unit does fine on it internal battery, it is just the USB cigarette lighter charger that is making the noise. I have a few and tried them all and all seem to make noise. Does anyone know of a cheapish brand that is good in not making a bunch of noise? For this airplane I'll be redoing the panel once the Kitfox is flying, so I don't want to be doing a bunch of rewiring just yet, or spending of a bunch of money for the likes of a Garmin USB. hopefully someone ha found a less expensive brand that can manage what I need. Not looking for a $2 item, but not really wanting to spend hundreds right now either.

Thanks,

John Brannen

desertdave
09-01-2021, 02:00 PM
I installed this with zero noise on my radio.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-System-Charger-Socket/dp/B00JMNQ5XW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=279NT1IF1ZE1I&dchild=1&keywords=bluesea+usb+port+12v&qid=1630529923&sprefix=Bluesea%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-3

jrevens
09-01-2021, 10:40 PM
John,

I've got a dual one from Blue Sea Systems also that is noise-free, but I also have a plug-in one for my 12v "cigarette lighter" socket that is noise free. I can't tell what brand it is or where I got it. It seems to be a common problem, especially, apparently, with cheap Chinese-made units (you might be hard-pressed to find one that isn't made in China). I've experienced the noise too, and I finally found the one that I had laying around that works well.

Eric Page
09-02-2021, 07:27 AM
I have no personal experience with them, but someone on the AeroElectric List forum reported good luck with a SCOSCHE branded USB charger. That was a couple of years ago so I don’t know about current USB-C models, but they’re not a huge investment. Looks like $25-30 on Amazon.

109JB
09-02-2021, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to order both a SCOSCHE cigarette lighter charger and one of the blue sea systems units based on these recommendations. Hopefully the SCOSCHE works as it will require absolutely no wiring. If it does, I'll keep the Blue Sea for when i redo the panel later on. I'm also going to put my antenna on the bottom fuselage aluminum panel that is about 24" x 36" to get the antenna further away and maybe the big aluminum ground plane will provide some shielding. Thanks for the replies.