PDA

View Full Version : Novelist needs a photo

Domenick
08-03-2021, 01:58 PM
I'm a pilot and action/adventure/thriller author with five published ebooks, and I need a photo for my sixth cover. I've looked over a number of free stock photo sites and am not finding what I want.

My vision for the cover is an aerial view of a huge container ship through a bush plane windscreen. With photo-processing, the windscreen view will be masked and a view of the container ship inserted. The Kitfox is a perfect plane for what I need, and the V bracing is signature bush plane.

The photo needs to include some of the panel for easy recognition as a cockpit, and a lot of windscreen. It could be from the pilot's point of view or behind the pilot's POV or from between the seats or even have the back of heads in view.

I'd take it myself, but my Piper Warrior is definitely not a bush plane.

What's outside is not important though the blander the better. The photo does not even need to be from the air. The higher the resolution the better--down sampling and cropping is easy. Even a wide-angle would do.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for whatever photo I use. It is small compensation, but the photographer would get a title page photo credit, a thank you in the acknowledgments including mention of Team Kitfox, and a free copy of the entire Linc Malloy series of five ebooks once #5 is published. The credits and acknowledgment would be worded as below, though any other preferred wording would be considered.

Cockpit cover image by NAME of TeamKitfox.com.
Thank you to NAME of TeamKitfox.com for generously supplying the cockpit cover image.
(TeamKitfox.com would be a link unless there is an objection by administration).

You can contact me by email on this forum.

I hangout on a number of other pilot and aircraft forums under the same handle (Pilot's Place, POA, CherokeeChat (both), and Piper Forum (Bart's)). Say "hello" if see me around.

Thank you for your consideration.

efwd
08-06-2021, 09:09 AM
Aaahaa. Not that I need a reason to fly specifically but this may be doable today. My butt is nearly recovered from my KOSH trip. I will see what I can do. Container ships have been sitting off Long Beach for the longest time with delays unloading due to COVID. 2854728548

Domenick
08-06-2021, 09:54 AM
Thanks, but I don't need a photo of a container ship. I just need a photo of virtually anything from inside the cockpit. The photo could be taken on the ground. I need enough of the panel and cockpit to be recognizable as a plane. Post processing will insert another photo for whatever is in view through the windscreen.

alexM
08-06-2021, 10:57 AM
Will any of these help?

efwd
08-06-2021, 05:15 PM
LOL, sometimes I take crap literally. embarrasing. :rolleyes:

Domenick
08-07-2021, 08:36 AM
Thanks for your help. I apologize for the confusion. In trying to cast a wide net, I added too many details and sowed confusion.

A large expanse of recognizable cockpit windscreen is the number one requirement. As I novelist I am loathe to say this, but "a picture is worth a thousand words", so here is an example. It would be okay, except it's the wrong style aircraft.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/cockpit-view-small-vintage-aircraft-200762876

Thanks.

t j
08-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Are you wanting a newer kitfox panel with the flat top or an older model with the rounded panel? You could probably contact one of the forum members in the Seattle area and they would let you sit in their kitfox and take a photo of exactly what you want.

Model 4 panel
https://i.imgur.com/OS2KxEv.jpg

Domenick
08-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Thanks. Newer with the flat top. Great idea to contact Seattle area forum members.

I have to ask ... What is the felt-penned vertical scale between rover and panel?

t j
08-08-2021, 08:28 AM
If you take a photo on the ground remember to start the engine and do the surgical tubing on the pitot tube to have all the instruments indicating if flying. The altimeter near sea level?

The vertical scale is a fuel tank that also serves as a header tank in this installation . The left side is in flight and the right side is on the ground.

https://i.imgur.com/YoUaEwk.jpg