PDA

View Full Version : Short arms and flap handle

VictorV
08-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been doing some training in the KF and the flap handle seems really awkward. If I loosen
my shoulder belt I can reach OK but it seems like I really have to lean forward quite a bit.
I'd prefer to have my shoulder belt more secure. I had a case where a botched landing caused
a bounce and my body motion due to the loose belts ended up moving the throttle a bit which
made things worse. My kit is arriving around Sept and am wondering if there are modifications
that allow the handle to be farther back.

Victor

avidflyer
08-03-2021, 10:43 AM
This is what I did when I couldn't reach my flap handle in the Kitfox 4 without loosening the seat belts. I found the handle on an old junk snowblower, but a length of 5/16" rod would do the same. JImChuk

VictorV
08-03-2021, 11:09 AM
This is what I did when I couldn't reach my flap handle in the Kitfox 4 without loosening the seat belts. I found the handle on an old junk snowblower, but a length of 5/16" rod would do the same. JImChuk

I like the overall shape of that but the SS7 has a sprint-loaded button for the detent pin so I don't think I can just
use a solid, bent rod in place of the tube. I was wondering if I could use a short push-cable to connect the button
to the detent pin somehow and use a different-shaped tube but still have the button.

V.

Eric Page
08-03-2021, 04:24 PM
How about leaving the flap handle as-is, and instead use a shoulder harness with an inertia reel?

taff
08-04-2021, 06:21 AM
On my IV, I inserted a hardwood dowel and riveted it in.
I found that the tube was too short to lean forward to reach.

VictorV
08-04-2021, 08:31 AM
How about leaving the flap handle as-is, and instead use a shoulder harness with an inertia reel?

Definitely a good compromise. I still hate having to lean forward so much. It makes it harder to maintain the pitch
attitude when changing the flap position.