PDA

View Full Version : Arizona to Oshkosh 2021

DesertFox4
07-22-2021, 04:40 AM
Wednesday started at 3 am yesterday and closed at 11:30 pm. Two Kitfox launched from Deer Valley Airport in North Phoenix, AZ at 5:30 am and landed 20 minutes before legal sunset in my hometown of Fairmont, MN. 1300 plus miles today. Nice smooth flight 95% of the trip with about the same percentage of tailwinds. Both Kitfox worked flawlessly. I love cross country in the Kitfox.
Now we spend a couple relaxing days at my brother’s cottage on the North end of East Chain Lake 11 miles South of the airport where our aircraft are safely tucked in hangars. Maybe some local flights in the next day or so taking in the amazing abundance of green fields. What contrast to the desert colors we have become so accustomed to in the desert southwest. See you all at the “Big Show”.
Refueling at Las Vegas, New Mexico.
This stop leaves behind the mountainous terrains with an immediate change
to open fields with copious options for a safe landing if the need arose.

DesertDave’s model 6 “Yellow Belle” taking lead for a 300 mile leg.

Refuel at Garden City, Kansas. 24 knot winds but right down their hugely
long runway 17. They used to fly B29’s off this field so not much issue for
our birds to get airborne from a midfield intersection departure.
The friendliest ground and tower folks you could ever meet. Great, albeit
breezy stop. Triple chocked and tied down for the brief fuel stop.
Nice fuel discount too from the great FBO when they heard we were
on our way to AirVenture.👍 Fly safe everyone.

PapuaPilot
07-22-2021, 02:04 PM
I left Idaho on Tuesday and made it to northern Michigan yesterday after flying 900+ miles on Wednesday. The tailwinds were nice all the way, but I stopped early on Tue. at Hot Springs, SD due to the strong, gusty winds in the area. I know what you mean about the green fields, my wife and I grew up in the Midwest. Quite different than the dry and smokey weather we have in Idaho right now.

It's nice to have a few days of relaxing at my family's cottage before going to Oshkosh. I was able to give a flight to my nephew this morning before he returned to Germany (he's in the Air Force). My next ride will be for my father who is 88. He has been asking when he might get a ride in the Kitfox ever since I finished building it. That is why I headed east a little early.

Here is Lake Charlevoix in Michigan right after I got across Lake Michigan from Oconto, WI. Nope, this ain't Idaho. :D

I will be flying back across Lake Michigan on Sunday and plan on camping at the UL field. Looking forward to meeting up with all of you fellow Kitfox owners.

alexM
07-22-2021, 02:19 PM
On behalf of those of us who aren't going to Osh, thanks for posting and keep it up.

Oh, and don't forget to check those gas caps.

DesertFox4
07-22-2021, 08:49 PM
Pretty country side Phil. Nice to give some rides to aviation appreciative family. Your father will enjoy, i’m sure, his first flight in a Kitfox his son built. Thanks to your nephew for his service in the Air Force.. Safe travels Phil. Enjoy every mile.

DesertFox4
07-25-2021, 02:34 PM
Proof of arrival at destination.

desertdave
07-25-2021, 06:29 PM
Direct hit on the green spot:

rv9ralph
07-25-2021, 06:52 PM
I like the neon glow effect.

Ralph

Auster
07-30-2021, 11:23 PM
Like Desertfox "I love cross country in the Kitfox" and really appreciate all those posting stories of their flights to Oshkosh. 1300 miles in one day is quite an achievement. Looking forward to reading of more trips and the return journeys.

desertdave
08-01-2021, 08:08 AM
I spend my work life talking to ATC which has its advantages and disadvantages. On the way home I made it a goal to not have to talk to any controllers after leaving KOSH and arriving at KDVT and what a treat it was. Every fuel stop was listen to the 2 minute weather, make a few CTAF calls, get fuel and blast off again. No CPDLC, no PDC, no calling clearance deliver, ramp/metering, ground, tower, departure/arrival, center nothing. I forgot how much fun this type of flying can be.

Las Vegas NM

Fairmont MN

Houston MN

Nebraska City NE

Belen NM

DesertFox4
08-01-2021, 04:23 PM
That’s what vacations should be Dave. A getaway from all things work. Had a great time flying with you and otto pilot.
Looking forward to our next adventure with “Yellow Belle”.

efwd
08-02-2021, 08:34 AM
I did the opposite and used ATC all the way to KOSH over three days. On the way home I did some low flyin and avoidance of ATC half the time. My 19 year old son and I just got home yesterday. Ill post my story but honestly, I need a day to recover. Our longest day logged 8.8 and several others over 8 hours. What an experience.

Kitfox Pilot
08-02-2021, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the updates Steve, it was very good to see you again.
Eddie it was good to meet you and your son and the amount of hours you flew to get there and back are amazing to me!

PapuaPilot
08-03-2021, 10:47 AM
I left Oshkosh on Friday morning. My plan was to leave as early as possible, but I had to wait for the powered parachutes to subside at the ultralight field. I only made it as far as Lacrosse, WI due to low visibility and light rain and overnighted in Lacrosse. Unfortunately Minnesota, Iowa and the Dakotas were plagued with 1/4 to 2 mile visibilities due to smoke coming down from Canada. On Saturday I was able to head north and find better visibility. After going east of of MSP airspace I could eventually turn to the west. I flew 7.8 hours Saturday and got to Beach, ND which was just a couple of miles short of the Montana boarder. On decent I was going right down I-94 next to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I got home to Idaho on Sunday in about 6.5 hours and flew over some beautiful mountains in Montana and the Idaho backcountry.

Oshkosh UL field awaiting start clearance

Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park

Montana mountains

Kitfox Pilot
08-03-2021, 03:50 PM
Glad you made it home Phil. That is some rough country your flying over in those last two pics. I wondered how the visibility was flying up there, looked bad from the ground. I thought I saw all the Kitfox airplanes that were there but I guess I missed yours somewhere because I don't recall it. Maybe next year.

PapuaPilot
08-03-2021, 04:02 PM
I parked at the Ultralight camping area right in front of the "Red Barn". There were about 7 Kitfox parked there.

I just realized I didn't meet you at the Thursday night BBQ. Too bad.

Kitfox Pilot
08-03-2021, 06:33 PM
I wish I had got to meet you and thank you in person for the help you have given me with my build. Thanks!
Just wasn't enough time, we need a noon time meal so we have all afternoon, haha.

And I did see that plane at the red barn, my memory didn't connect it with your picture I guess.

airlina
08-04-2021, 02:24 AM
Glad all you folks made it home OK and a big thanks to Larry and his wife for hosting another great gathering so I could meet all the forum screen names in person. Bruce N199CL

Av8r3400
08-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Glad all you folks made it home OK and a big thanks to Larry and his wife for hosting another great gathering so I could meet all the forum screen names in person. Bruce N199CL

It's our pleasure to do it every year!

We're already counting the days to '22!

DesertFox4
08-17-2021, 06:45 PM
While most AirVenturers departed for home after the “Big Show”, this Kitfox pilot left as a flight of three with the two Kitfox factory aircraft bright and early on Monday morning. I stayed with them for about 20 minutes then broke off for my destination airport of Baraboo,WI. another 15 minutes away. There I would hangar for two days in my buddies hangar and visit with him and see the local sites. Yes that is a model 4 Kitfox on amphib floats in the background. No we did not get it wet while I was there.😢 Maybe next visit. There used to be a Glassair in the back corner of this hangar but it was at it’s new home in another state by the time I arrived. What a great airport!
(Above photo)-One sad Stearman that came up 50 miles short of Oshkosh.😔
My next destination was my hometown airport of Fairmont,MN. where I learned to fly 40 years ago.
Fairmont has a chain of five lakes.
(Sunset from my brother’s cottage and my home for the next month or two.)
( My home until Arizona cools off some)
(A short 40 minute flight to Granite Falls, MN and the Fagen World War 2 museum.)
A really great museum if you find yourself anywhere near here. What a fun day trip.
(The Iowa Great Lakes area.)
Spirit Lake and Okoboji were another short flight from Fairmont. Beautiful lakes.We landed at the little airport in Milford, IA just South of Spirit Lake to spend the afternoon with some friends at their lake home. Nice relaxing afternoon. After we flew to a crop duster grass strip near Buffalo Center, IA to pick up another flying buddy so he could get an aerial assessment of his crop lands. This area has received very little rainfall lately but he said his farms were still in pretty good shape.
(Duster strip.)
Our next flying took us to Mankato, MN for their annual fly in breakfast. A great attendance, a really good breakfast and lots of
interesting aircraft from the surrounding areas showed up. Even a band playing 40’s through early 60’s music in the background.
Met up with and had breakfast with a local aviator from my student pilot days of 40 years ago. Lots to catch up on after 40 years. He flew a beautiful Pratt & Whitney 450 horse powered Spartan.
(Ed and his Spartan.)
(Sweet Titan T-51 from Sleepy Eye, MN.)
My Kitfox tucked away in it’s temporary hangar for a month or two.
With it sitting on the tail skid it’s much easier to reach the top of the tail for bug removal after flight. Way more flying insects here
to remove after every flight than in Arizona. 😉
All for now on my post AirVenture adventures. Maybe I can talk my brother into a little fishing trip soon.🤞

Kitfox Pilot
08-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Steve it sure looks like you are having some fun! Keep up the reports so we can all enjoy.

airlina
08-18-2021, 03:30 AM
Steve , looks like you're having a Kitfox bucket list summer and it was great to finally meet you at OSH and check out your sweet ride. Have fun. Bruce N199CL

efwd
08-18-2021, 08:35 AM
Looks like a great way to make the long flight home, do it with long breaks. My back is still fatigued after that long trek home from OSH. Guess its time I edit my video down to something reasonable that people will be willing to sit through. Enjoy the month or two Steve, Monsoons may be gone for you when you return. They were certainly added stress on my trip through AZ.

DesertFox4
08-18-2021, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. Was good seeing you and everyone at Oshkosh.

A quick trip to Esterville, IA airport to schedule a Citabria inspection and found this in the City hangar. Missing some cylinders
but otherwise looks like a blast. Floats are carbon fiber.$$$$
(Two ship to Esterville.)

A stop in St. James , MN for some economically priced 100LL. $3.85 per gallon.👍
Nice little municipal airport. A perfect evening for flying.

Skies are not always Kitfox friendly in Minnesota. Nice to know the Super Sport is snug in it’s temporary hangar.

DesertFox4
09-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Still in Minnesota since leaving Oshkosh. Flying as much as weather allows and visiting as many grass strips as possible.

Short flight to Blue Earth, MN for their flight breakfast. Lots of local fight breakfasts this time of year.

Left downwind for St.James, MN airport and some 100LL Av-gas at some decent price$.

Perfect early evening flying. Glassy smooth air.😀
The patchwork of farm fields of green are soothing for these Arizona eyes.
So many times I’ve wished I had amphibs on my Kitfox.
Spent Labor Day weekend on beautiful Bay Lake east of Brainerd, MN. Perfect shoreline to beach a set of floats with a Kitfox attached.

efwd
09-13-2021, 05:28 AM
Beautiful Steve. Looks like your having a great time. I had only one opportunity to use a grass strip on my way home. Whish there were more like it here in CA. Fly safe.

Kitfox Pilot
09-13-2021, 10:41 AM
Sure looks like you are having fun! Glad you are taking time to enjoy life!

Flybyjim
09-13-2021, 06:38 PM
Thanks for sharing your photos, looks like you are having a great time and covering interesting parts of this country.

DesertFox4
09-14-2021, 07:29 PM
Added one more grass strip to my tally today.
Wells, MN and the biggest so far. Smooth as a pool table top.
A little blustery but we had it all to ourselves. Did a few touch and go circuits and a couple simulated engine outs
while my brother got a new tach installed in his Citabria.😀👍
Almost wide enough to land crossways.
Wells,MN.
Wells,MN. Jet on a stick.😉
The green fields are quickly turning yellow then brown now and we saw a few fields of corn being combined all
ready. While temps in Arizona are still topping out at a little over 100 degrees, fall feels very close by here.

avidflyer
09-14-2021, 10:17 PM
Nice to see you are having a good time in Mn. Up here in the northern part leaves are starting to turn color pretty good. Should be real pretty soon, and then the drab no leaves look.
Sure a nice time to be here. Couldn't take that 100 degree stuff of the south. JImChuk

DesertFox4
09-28-2021, 07:25 AM
Very little blacktop here. Just enough to taxi from hangars to either grass
runway. First time landing at Sleepy Eye, MN. The upper midwest is
blessed to have so many airports.

Lake Hanska. One of fourteen thousand plus lakes in Minnesota.
Yes the license plates said 10,000 but, really there are a few more.

Over Fort Ridgely historical site on the Minnesota River’s North bank near
New Ulm, MN. Site of the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862.
https://www.mnhs.org/fortridgely/learn/history

A nice stop at Redwood Falls,MN.
wouldn’t you just know the winds favored the pretty grass strip and not the
concrete runway. A south wind had us approaching over a beautiful valley.

First time into Algona, IA for me.
Winds favored the turf runway. Topped off with fuel
and had to look over a beautiful “Cub” on Whipline amphibs.
My brother Tom looking over the waterbird.
Painted in Coast Guard colors.

Kitfox Pilot
09-28-2021, 06:39 PM
Only think better would be if I was there too! Haha. Keep enjoying your time touring around the north states and we will enjoy the posted pics.

jrevens
09-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Love your reports, Steve!

Av8r_Sed
09-28-2021, 07:18 PM
So many great places to visit and photos to post. Thanks for taking us along Steve.

DesertFox4
09-28-2021, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys. This has been a nice time in Minnesota and Northern Iowa. This is where I learned to fly and where I thought I’d be flying a Kitfox with floats off all these beautiful lakes. Didn’t quite turn out like that but I am flying over a lot of those lakes in a Kitfox. All in all, not bad at all.
Seeing the changes in the crops since I’ve been here is a real treat. Harvest is in full swing and fields that were a lush green when I arrived after Oshkosh, have transitioned to brown and now are being tilled for next years crops.

My time here hasn’t been all flying though. The above photo may give you a small
clue as to how today was spent. My hometown has a chain of five lakes. I got reacquainted with three
of them today. 85 degrees today but nice, real nice, on the water.

Taken from the boat, a photo of Martin County’s courthouse undergoing a replacement of the copper topped
portion of the domed roof. A very expensive project but badly needed to maintain this really beautiful historical building. No doubt it will soon turn green like the original but for now, a copper beacon visible for many miles away under a bright sun.

Thanks for putting up with my simple photos and short descriptions. Not as exciting as a Trent Palmer action packed video but
trust me, my fun meter is pegged in the red every time I get to fly this wonderful airplane.

Harlan, there’s lots of room up here for your Kitfox too. Kind of hope to see your new grass strip when it’s ready next year.👍

avidflyer
09-28-2021, 10:30 PM
Nice bunch of posts about where all you have visited in Mn. If you get up around my area, you will have to stop by. I have 2000' with trees on the ends, but that's plenty for a Kitfox. JImChuk

Kitfox Pilot
09-29-2021, 04:33 AM
Grass is 2'' tall and growing! Look forward to seeing you land here myself!

DesertFox4
09-29-2021, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the invite Jim.😃 I was thinking of contacting you for a visit right after Labor Day weekend. I was supposed to fly up to Brainerd for a family reunion on Bay Lake but weather forced me to drive up instead. Derailed my plans to fly the Brainerd area, one of my favorite spots in the State, and maybe swing up your way. Maybe next year if I get back up this way. Gotta save a couple nice strips for next visit to Minnesota. Keep the grass mowed.👍

DesertFox4
09-29-2021, 05:01 PM
We did fly today. No exciting strips as time was limited for traveling from base.
Kind of gusty and bumpy before a little storm system passes through.
This is my temporary base of operations, Fairmont, MN. Learned to fly here way back when.
My brother is just touching down in his Adventure 7GCAA model Citabria on runway 13. He’s a little faster
with 180 horses to my 100 so he arrives usually about one minute before me.

Fairmont Municipal. In the ‘L’ shaped grove of trees on approach to runway 13 is an aircraft that didn’t quite make the runway. It’s been up there for a month now. About 35’ up. Two occupants had to shimmy down a tree after the “landing”. No injuries but the aircraft is not reusable.
Retrieval will wait until the corn is combined. No hurry. It’s not going anywhere. They were lucky for no injuries either from the “landing” or the climb down.
From above-
from below.

DesertFox4
10-05-2021, 11:21 PM
Springfield,MN. Nice little field. Only 6 city hangars available on the field but saw a sign on door in pilot’s lounge that said,
“Hangar available. $65.00 a month.” Nice hangars too. Wow! At those prices, you could afford to fly
a whole lot more. Fuel was not bad either. $4.44 per.
Springfield, you’re looking mighty good. So are many many airports in the upper midwest. Lots of them up here with similar
stories. Your Kitfox would just need a pair of snow skis and maybe floats too. Lakes everywhere.

Springfield, MN. No grass cross runway but one real nice 3,400’ hard surface 31/13 runway.
If this sweet airport was within 100 miles of Phoenix, there would be another 50 hangars all filled with aircraft and 5 students doing touch and goes in the pattern. We had the place to ourselves on a just about perfect fall day.

We did find a fun grass strip on the way home to dinner.
One of my brother’s friends northwest of Welcome, MN has a farm strip. We had to give it a try.
You can see their hangar behind my brother’s Citabria. Lots of neat projects tucked away
in that hangar. Stinson project, a Pacer that was lengthened and 180 hp added to the front. Another Pacer project and:
this little steam powered automobile. You just never know what hides behind a hangar door.

Some of the car’s “plumbing” hidden beneath the seat.
Wish we’d landed here an hour earlier. Might have gotten a ride once a head of steam was gotten up.
As it was, sunset was too close so maybe next trip up. Sure looks like fun though.

Well , this very likely could be my last landing on grass for awhile. Days here are dwindling down to a precious few, as the song goes. Arizona calls with maybe a stop in Missouri to see an old friend I’ve never met, yet. If weather permits.🤞

efwd
10-06-2021, 06:04 AM
Looks like a fantastic day Steve. Fly safe.
Thought that little car had a radial in it or something. Lots of, what appears to be oil, leaking.

DesertFox4
10-06-2021, 07:54 AM
The steam car has a chain drive and he likes to keep it well oiled.
The round spot that looks like oil is actually a step mounted on the car. Not leaking really.. 😀

efwd
10-07-2021, 10:03 AM
Funny, The surgeon Im working with today is from Fairmont. Graduated from Truman High 1979. The RN in the room is from MN as well. They appreciated these photos as well Steve.