PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder Ribs

mottim
06-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Hello,

I'm installing the rudder and vertical stabilizer ribs and there are 4 places where the ribs are bonded to the tubes.
The issue is that while bonding the ribs to the tubes, some of them (all except one) are not on the same line.
The top ribs are not on the same line because the rudder tube is thinner than the vertical stabilizer tube (left picture).
The second tubes from the top are on the same line, but the two bottom ones are not (right picture).

Any recommendations to make them on the same line or should I go ahead and bond them to the tubes?

Thanks,
Motti

Benbell4140
06-12-2021, 04:32 PM
I aligned all of my ribs horizontally regardless of the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexM
06-12-2021, 05:04 PM
Agreed, shim them. It's just an appearance thing and while no one has ever accused me of being OCD, I would always be annoyed when looking at the completed airplane.

And good on you for attaching the movable and stationary surfaces together before whipping out the Hysol. Some people discover this condition later on.

mottim
06-12-2021, 09:36 PM
Thank you Ben!

mottim
06-12-2021, 09:41 PM
Thank you, Alex!I followed your and Ben's advice and made sure the ribs are vertically aligned. The only Rib I can't align is the very bottom one. Even if I put it all the way down, it's still higher than the rib at the bottom of the fuselage.

taff
06-13-2021, 06:03 AM
Do you think this alignment has anything to do with it?
Can it be adjusted?

taff
06-13-2021, 06:18 AM
It probably is the angle at which the photo was taken.

The yellow lines are close to being the same length and there looks more space between the green at the right of the picture.

rv9ralph
06-13-2021, 08:33 AM
When you build up the tips on that you can make the finished edges align.

Ralph

mottim
06-13-2021, 08:35 AM
The only option I see is to align the rudder rib and make it look nice and straight with the balsa/foam build at the top.
The rudder is in the right distance from the stabilizer, so I don’t see how I can change it differently.
Non of those ribs are bonded yet, so I’m open to any suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

taff
06-13-2021, 11:08 AM
When you build up the tips on that you can make the finished edges align.

Ralph

Kind of like this, this was from my IV building.

This difference at the top was hardly noticeable after the build.
The ribs lined up pretty good.

This is an old picture. (note: thanks goodness for digital cameras)