PDA

View Full Version : Real slow controlled flight.

Kitfox Pilot
06-01-2021, 07:19 PM
How is this possible to fly this slow and still have full control? It doesn't even go fast straight down..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGhlx4m7ZB8

Delta Whisky
06-01-2021, 07:39 PM
Harlan - what is it that shows above and below the wing panels about mid span? Dive brakes of some sort? If so, maybe that is how the down line is kept so slow. What ever the answer, pretty impressive.

jrevens
06-01-2021, 08:35 PM
Extremely light weight and controllable power. Skilled pilot brings it all together.

efwd
06-01-2021, 09:04 PM
Really cool. At first I thought, eh, gonna fly around the gym. Wait a full, choreographed routine? Really cool.

Flybyjim
06-02-2021, 04:06 AM
3D RC planes have been around for a while. There are many options for electronic mixers for control surfaces in the controllers, many have a gyro system and they are usually over powered with the motors or engines, hence slow controlled vertical performance. At Oshkosh 2019 in the ultralight area there were 3 national championship demos.

Kitfox Pilot
06-02-2021, 05:38 AM
Now how can I make my kitfox do this?? hahaha

Maverick
06-04-2021, 07:20 AM
Now how can I make my kitfox do this?? hahaha

Take everything you don't need for the plane to fly out/off of the Kitfox and hang a super-light, super-high horsepower motor on it turning a super-long prop turning really slow, leave off the fabric around the empennage?

taff
06-05-2021, 04:53 AM
Years ago, during the time I ordered my IV, I visited the Skystar factory.
They showed me around and I even saw my fuselage being built, that was cool.
Anyway I was taken on a demo flight in their demo aircraft.

Flying around the area the pilot showed me it's slow flight characteristics. Facing into the breeze of that day and slowly pulling power back we almost came to a no ground speed situation.
He said, keep your eye on that farm building, but not quite slow enough for no movement.
He said with no passenger, that with enough headwind he has experience rear movement.

This is the airplane that day.

Kitfox Pilot
06-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Is that the same buildings they are in today or have they changed locations?

Maverick
06-05-2021, 08:43 AM
Skystar was located on Caldwell, ID airport. Kitfox Aircraft is located on Homedale, ID airport. When I was building my first KF5 I went to Caldwell to pick up my FWF kit. I took my first flight in a different airplane than the one below but I got the same type of orientation to the Kitfox's slow flight capability. I was advised that because I was going with a C-O200 instead of the R912ULS that my performance would not be as good but, I never felt like I'd made a mistake going with the O200 because even at a hundred pounds heavier, slow flight was impressive. With this build and a R912ULS, it is amazing.

taff
06-05-2021, 09:09 AM
This takes me back.
A couple of years and three homes ago.

arjflyr
06-08-2021, 05:37 PM
What a surprise reading this thread, and seeing an old picture of my plane! I purchased N193TF a little over two years ago from a gentleman who purchased it from Skystar in 1997. I knew from the history that the plane was a factory demo plane. Here is a picture of it when I bought it.

taff
06-08-2021, 09:27 PM
That's fantastic.

I recon it was around October 1996 when I went for that demo ride at Skystar.
What motor is in it, a 582UL ? Probably been replaced by now.

taff
06-08-2021, 10:09 PM
This is making me remember other visuals of that visit to Skystar.

Across from the main Kitfox buildings was another hangar where they showed me the Biplane Kitfox. Photo below.
I also was introduced to Dan Denney, he had the Thunder Mustang in that hangar. So cool!

Strange! I can't upload photos. Team Kitfox states upload has failed.

DesertFox4
06-09-2021, 10:38 AM

Eric, I just tried uploading an image and it failed also. I have my I.T. expert looking into it.

taff
06-09-2021, 07:59 PM
This is making me remember other visuals of that visit to Skystar.

Across from the main Kitfox buildings was another hangar where they showed me the Biplane Kitfox. Photo below.
I also was introduced to Dan Denney, he had the Thunder Mustang in that hangar. So cool!

Photos are now available.
The biplane and the results of my couple of years of building.
I didn't take a photo of the Mustang.

arjflyr
06-10-2021, 09:16 AM
It has a Rotax 618 in it. I plan to replace it with a 912 at some point, but it does fly great as it is.

napierm
06-19-2021, 04:58 PM
I vividly remember you flying by me in that bird. My KF3 was built by Dick Rank and had every fairing on it it but your pretty KF4 walked away. I was doing 90 mph and I figured you had at least 20 mph on me.

Photos are now available.
The biplane and the results of my couple of years of building.
I didn't take a photo of the Mustang.

taff
06-20-2021, 07:48 AM
I vividly remember you flying by me in that bird. My KF3 was built by Dick Rank and had every fairing on it it but your pretty KF4 walked away. I was doing 90 mph and I figured you had at least 20 mph on me.

(sorry, I realize I am getting off thread topic a little)

Hi Mark,
That Classic IV was a beautiful aircraft to fly, superb hands off cruise and nice a slow if you wanted it. It had reasonably good speed, if I remember it could go about 115 mph, with that 912 UL up front.
Many times I would let Jeff (in his Zenith 701) leave first for Covington airport and then I would follow. I would get and follow a little higher (maybe 500 ft.)and the on a downward slope feel like I was really cranking some speed as I passed him.
I was on the radio announcing my intentions. I didn't tell him I was coming down hill. Later I told him my method of zoom and we laughed.
I hope all is well with your latest project.
Eric.