PDA

View Full Version : Jab 2200/floats

kodi
01-23-2010, 05:20 AM
I have a kf 111 on amphib floats with 582. Looking to upgrade engine to a Jab 2200. Anybody out there using this engine on floats?
Don

dholly
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I say do it! Yes, I realize there are arguments against using the direct drive for float flying but most are voiced by the same crowd who think 10sec water runs are excessive. Might not match your 582 performance with gearbox and big prop but all depends on what you need/want. I think performance near gross of a svelt model 3 will still be way better than certified. 500kg (1103lb) MTOW of the production jab2200 powered Aussie Storch Amphib -the only production jab2200 amphib I know of- is similar, 110m (360ft) take off run claimed in their marketing material onsite posted at www.flysynthesis.com (http://www.flysynthesis.com/). The earlier brochure I attached shows 145m (475ft), I assume the diff between the older 80hp vs. 85hp jab2200 and better prop choices. Aerocet floats get on step quick, what do you have?

kodi
01-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Hi: Thanks for getting back. I am not unhappy with the 582, and performanace is certainly good. Off the water in 7 secs. But am planning on doing more cross country stuff and would like the smoothness, quiet, and reliability of the Jab. Certainly prepared to give up takeoff time for these qualities. Just joined this website and think it is great. Wish names were used, however.

Don

dholly
01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Don-

I was building an Avid Mk-IV w/ Heavy Hauler wings on Aerocet 1100 amphibs and had a new jab2200 to hang on it. That decision was made, in part, based of posts I gleaned off the Seaplane Pilots Association forum made by an Avid Mk-IV owner who changed out his 582 to a 80hp jab w/ Prince prop and claimed to be very pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, his plane was wrecked when a cable brace let go at a refuel stop on the way to OSH, so no long-term follow-up pireps. Wish I could give you a first hand report myself but I stumbled onto a must-do deal for a new Avid+ kit and changed projects before mine was completed. There are some youtube videos posted by cub76N of a jab2200 powered 800lb X-Air H on amphibs doing both land and water runs, including at gross. I don't know enough about their wing performance vs. the Avid and early KF under camber wing to call it an apples-to-apples comparison, but worth a look if you're considering the swap.

Best regards,
Doug