PDA

View Full Version : STi Jury Strut vs Lift Strut Question

Geek
04-14-2021, 06:44 PM
Today was install the jury strut on to the lift strut day. But wound up with a question rather than getting it done. I have the aero shaped lift strut upgrade and when I read the instructions, it shows the standard round struts but no image of the upgraded ones. The instructions on page 30 have a CAUTION in the middle of them and the last sentence of it says “the front tube in the jury strut must be aligned perpendicular to the front spar tube and the center of the front lift tube. I am perpendicular to the spar alright (used both a plumb bob and a level to check it). Sorry it's a but hard to see but in the pic there is no way I am in the center of the front lift tube and with the clamps provided, don't see how it could ever be in the center. So the question to those who have gone before me - is yours in the center? Does this Caution in the instructions only apply to the standard round tubes? Hate to press on thinking I am OK only to find out I might have had carnal knowledge with the canine.

Thanks ahead of time.

Gary

Redline
04-14-2021, 08:33 PM
I can't give an expert opinion but we just did the jury struts this past weekend and read that paragraph several times. It seems it's referring to the round lift strut, because like you, there's no way we could have positioned the strut in the center of the spar.

efwd
04-14-2021, 08:43 PM
Isn't it just a reference to the spanwise center? Round struts are no different, clamp points forward.

alexM
04-14-2021, 09:02 PM
Isn't it just a reference to the spanwise center? Round struts are no different, clamp points forward.

That's how I interpret that instruction, but I haven't made it to that step yet.

Geek
04-15-2021, 04:17 AM
I had also asked Brandon about this via email because that forward clamp on the lift strut was not even in the same Zip code of being in the center of the strut. Brandon indicated that the caution really applied to the round lift struts and not the aero ones. I guess the round ones have a tendency to flex more than the aero and as such, the need to be in the center is much more critical.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this.

G