PDA

View Full Version : STi Butt Rib Install Questions

Geek
04-07-2021, 04:22 PM
Just getting ready to do the butt rib install. First question is how to orient the rib. The capstrip is wider on one side than the other. Seems to me I read somewhere that if you installed the butt rib so the wide side pointed inboard, you had more support when you attached the windshield. That right or wrong. I know what the directions say but thought this was one of those mods found by those building before me.

Second question pertains to the 1/16th spacer between the butt rib and rib 1 when using Oratex. Have those of you covering with Oratex found that the 1/16th spacer was about right or wished you had a bit more space when it came time to cover.

Thanks ahead of time.

G

Shadowrider
04-07-2021, 10:12 PM
We did not wrap covering around the first rib so no space between them needed. We just ran them flush. We ran the larger space on the outside because it’s a cleaner look IMO because you don’t see the nuts for attaching the windshield because they are on the outside of the but rib.

DMMeix
04-07-2021, 11:06 PM
I believe the butt rib orientation is discussed by Brian in one of the later Project Kitfox videos. I think he swapped them, as you're suggesting, to minimize the risk of cracking the windshield as you drill into it.

Shadowrider
04-08-2021, 05:53 AM
The sti you don’t need to trim the width of the window because it can be left wide and overhand so you have a bit of extra room for drilling the windshield. Brian’s wing was not a STI so it’s a little different.

Geek
04-08-2021, 07:41 AM
Thanks all. Just didn't want to totally rely on my memory on the rib and appreciate the input on the Oratex.

Gary