PDA

View Full Version : Filler Neck Cutout on Laker Leading Edge

Doggitz
03-26-2021, 08:36 PM
Hi All:

I am fitting the Laker Leading Edge to an SS 7 wing. My measurements tell me that the diameter of the hole needs to be about 3 inches. Unfortunately, the aft edge of the Laker fiberglass does not neatly pass through the center of the filler neck, so I can't center the cutout on the center of the filler neck. It turns out that about 5/8ths of the circle lies forward of the center of the filler neck while the remaining 3/8ths of the circle lies aft of the filler neck center. I have toyed with a few methods to cut the hole. A dremel sanding bit will work, but may be difficult to get a nice round cutout. I tried using a circle cutter ("fly-cutter") in a jig (using scrap pieces), but it seems to rip up the fiberglass. I have even thought about drilling a series of small holes around the circumference of the hole and then connecting them with a knife or other tool. This would leave an edge like the perforations on a postage stamp that could be sanded smooth.

How have you guys done this cutout? Am I missing a simpler way? I have also thought of using a 3" hole saw, but I'm afraid the somewhat course tooth pattern will rip up the fiberglass.

Thanks

Fred
Building7SS
Still thinking about engines.

Maverick
03-26-2021, 09:10 PM
I have even thought about drilling a series of small holes around the circumference of the hole and then connecting them with a knife or other tool. This would leave an edge like the perforations on a postage stamp that could be sanded smooth.

This sounds like a safe way to approach it.

SomeDay7
03-26-2021, 10:01 PM
I used an orbital sander with 120 grit. Get the fiberglass in place and sand the top over the ring it will get perfectly thin leaving a nice flat edge to HySol to.

efwd
03-27-2021, 06:30 AM
use a piece of your scrap and overlap it onto the LLE. Attach the two pieces with clamps or whatever and then drill down through your scrap using a hole cutter. Of course your center drill will not be drilling into your part as it will be off set the desired amount.

Doggitz
03-27-2021, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

Fred