PDA

View Full Version : AVID SPEED WING info needed

Mason5353
01-28-2021, 07:58 PM
New to the forums, but long time kitfox enthusiast. I've been in the market for a IV-1200 but the pickings are a little slim right now, so I have expanded my search to Avids. I found a 1995 AVID Speed wing with TTAF 475 and a brand new Rotax Rick 670 (92HP). The owner is an A&P and did all of the work himself. I'm very unfamiliar with the airplane / eng combo and was hoping someone here might have some more experience. I'm really looking for any advice but if anyone knows of common Avid part/ airframe items to look out for when I go take a look at it, it would be very beneficial. Avid doesn't post any STCs on their site and specific information about them is difficult to come by. Any information is greatly appreciated.

avidflyer
01-28-2021, 09:41 PM
Avids are pretty nice planes, I've had 4 of them so far. Pretty much anything that applies to the early pre Kitfox 4 Kitfoxes would apply to an Avid as far as what to look for. Rib tails that the flaperons hinge on are good to take a long look at for any signs of rot for instance. Also, and I don't mean to drag you off of this very good site, but the AvidFoxFlyers forum is probably more geared to the Avids and early Kitfoxes. JImChuk

PapuaPilot
01-28-2021, 10:47 PM
FYI there aren't any STCs on experimental planes of any type.

Mason5353
01-29-2021, 07:18 AM
FYI there aren't any STCs on experimental planes of any type.
Ah, thank you. What I meant to say was service bulletins or common maintenance concerns.

Mason5353
01-29-2021, 07:20 AM
Avids are pretty nice planes, I've had 4 of them so far. Pretty much anything that applies to the early pre Kitfox 4 Kitfoxes would apply to an Avid as far as what to look for. Rib tails that the flaperons hinge on are good to take a long look at for any signs of rot for instance. Also, and I don't mean to drag you off of this very good site, but the AvidFoxFlyers forum is probably more geared to the Avids and early Kitfoxes. JImChuk
Thank you for the info. I will create a thread on that site.