PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Grease

iflywhatevr
01-27-2021, 01:25 PM
What’s the best bearing grease to use on the idler bellcrank. It specifies in the assembly instructions to apply bearing grease before inserting the bolt. Couldn’t find reference to what type ok the manual and I highly doubt it’s wheel bearing grease. ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jiott
01-27-2021, 01:46 PM
Did you look in the Builder's Tips section of the manual? It gives all the lube recommendations.
Personally I think wheel bearing grease would be fine, or a white grease.

Dave S
01-27-2021, 02:23 PM
David,

I'd agree with Jim - Nothing wrong with WB grease as long as it is not the old fibrous type (which hopefully is not sold anymore). The water resistant ones used on boat trailer axle bearings is good; and also perfect for the kitfox main wheel bearings.

White grease is good stuff. One of the better ones is Lubriplate 630AA - aircraft spruce sells that in 1 pound cans. It's characteristics including the fact that it sticks really, really well to everything and is not a heavy or thick grease so does not drag much.

I don't think it matters much which grease a person uses as long as they avoid the really thick ones.

iflywhatevr
01-27-2021, 03:06 PM
Did you look in the Builder's Tips section of the manual? It gives all the lube recommendations.
Personally I think wheel bearing grease would be fine, or a white grease.

Nothing is specified in the builder tips section just says “grease” and “oil” depending on what type of part. Though could have missed it I guess.

jiott
01-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Maybe its not in the Builder's Tips section, but SOMEWHERE in the manual there is a listing of lube recommendations: for instance rather than just "oil" it says LPS 1 for flaperon hinges, Tri-Flow for rod end bearings, etc. Its quite specific. Wish I had my manual here instead of at the hangar.

win633
01-27-2021, 04:31 PM
I'm building a STI here in Maine as well, getting close to paint but thats relative. I haven't done a builders log just because I'm too damn busy and don't have the time. But i'm on here looking and I'm glad to offer any post build advice! Cheers

iflywhatevr
01-27-2021, 07:54 PM
We’re going to have a lot of STI’s flying around the northeast! Another STI builder in Maine got his the same week I got mine here in MA. He has a build log going as well.

bumsteer
01-28-2021, 07:10 AM
In my Series 5 manual, the recommended list of lubricants is on the last page of the final assembly section. For the bellcrank pivots it recommends "automotive wheel bearing grease".

Rick

Jez
07-05-2022, 05:26 PM
The problem with automotive wheel bearing grease is that its for high temps, which means it can be quite thick and tacky. But the movement of the ailerons is low speed friction. So surely you would want something a bit lighter so there can be more movement within the bushing. Just my two pence worth. What is everybody elses thought?

KitfoxLUX
10-17-2022, 12:55 AM
Grease 33 used in commercial aviation is always good. Smells a bit bad though