PDA

View Full Version : Oratex users , the door frame?

Kitfox Pilot
01-18-2021, 08:07 AM
Did you cover inside the door frame with oratex or did you paint the ledge inside the door frame? Getting ready to start on the sides and just trying to figure what to do in the area of the frame work. Thanks.

jrevens
01-18-2021, 09:37 AM
I brought the fabric around the first corner of the aluminum frame, over the first ledge, up the next vertical and stopped there. Then I capped it with the S.S. channels I made.

patrick.hvac
01-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Most of the ones I have seen follow John's recommendation. Wrap it and cap it with channel.

Dave S
01-18-2021, 10:51 AM
Agreed...

WTTW - The only Kitfox I have seen where the builder did not wrap the fabric over the door sill resulted in separation of the lower aluminum door frame from the fuselage tubing...after the plane was completed and flying - kind of a mess to deal with at that time. For the record, the aluminum door strip was the old style where it does not slip over the square tube and the aluminum was simply bonded to the side of the airframe.

The current design is an improvement.

Kitfox Pilot
01-18-2021, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys. I do have the stainless cap strips to go on so I see how it will lock good the way you are saying. Thanks.

Eric Page
01-18-2021, 11:19 AM
...the aluminum door strip was the old style where it does not slip over the square tube and the aluminum was simply bonded to the side of the airframe. The current design is an improvement.

I do have the stainless cap strips to go on so I see how it will lock good the way you are saying.
I have the "old style" aluminum strips on my Series 5. Can one of you post a photo of the stainless caps you're talking about, and perhaps supply a Kitfox part number? This sounds like a better solution that leaving fabric exposed where you're going to slide across it getting in and out. Thanks.

Kitfox Pilot
01-18-2021, 12:00 PM
I have the "old style" aluminum strips on my Series 5. Can one of you post a photo of the stainless caps you're talking about, and perhaps supply a Kitfox part number? This sounds like a better solution that leaving fabric exposed where you're going to slide across it getting in and out. Thanks.

Eric, I don't know the part number but I just asked for the stainless cap door strips and they ask if you want lower or lower and upper which cover the flat and 45 degree part of your door frame. Really finishes off the door IMO on the planes I've seen them on and as you say saves the covering.

Eric Page
01-18-2021, 01:42 PM
Beauty. Thanks, Harlan. I'll get those added to my next shipment.