PDA

View Full Version : Hysol on tail ribs

Benbell4140
01-16-2021, 07:53 AM
Hello, I have all of my ribs “tacked” into place with CA glue and now I’m ready to epoxy them using Hysol. My question is that I see some builders using the disposable glue tubes with a gun. I’m assuming that you can’t use flox when gluing with a gun? Would it be ok to leave out the flox on my tail ribs?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taff
01-16-2021, 08:28 AM
Can you not use the same adhesive as you used for attaching the ribs to the aluminum wing spars ?
I sanded the attach points of the steel (down to the steel) and then epoxy primed the areas a day or two later.

alexM
01-16-2021, 09:05 AM
I did not use flox on my tail ribs and had no issue with the Hysol sagging. The one place I used a little bit of flox (after everything had cured) was to fill a gap where the fiberglass fairing meets the very bottom rib in the tail post.

Benbell4140
01-16-2021, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the help. I figured the pre filled tubes would be much easier to get a clean bead. I’ll give it a shot.

jiott
01-16-2021, 11:23 AM
I found that by using flox I could put down a heavy bead, smooth it with my finger and be done-it wouldn't sag. Without flox I would usually have to use a smaller bead and then come back later after it cured to add more to get a proper fillet.

You can always use the pre-filled tubes to squirt into a cup, mix in the flox, then transfer the mix to a syringe.

mattkalin
01-17-2021, 02:38 PM
When using a gun flox is not needed. Definitely worth it ! No mess and goes on perfect!

Benbell4140
01-17-2021, 04:50 PM
Yeah it’s working perfect without flox. No sagging at all. Sure makes things quick and easy. I’ll be finished with all the tail ribs tomorrow.